Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Doc Highwall has provided a great form for “load data”.

But, how do we tie this to “chronograph data” and/or “target results”?

I have a large stack of old targets upon which I included the load data (not as detailed as Doc’s form) and chrony data. However, this is a rather bulky stack. I started this back in the 1980’s. Nowadays, we have the option of taking digital images. I’m thinking of how I can combine the three into a single pdf document. I suppose I would file them by caliber and bullet. I’m still in the thinking stage.

Looking for input.

PS I recently moved from a large 3 br house with 2 car garage into a 1958 vintage 900 sf quad unit. Reducing the volume of “stuff” I have kept over decades is becoming a desired thing. This recording project is important to me. Yeah, the 3K lbs of alloy is too. LOL!

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

Chronograph data can be printed off the units themselves or downloaded from a SD card. My new Lab Radar has a SD card that I get the data from and is put on a separate sheet.

Today I made up this target for load development and has 5 targets numbered 1 through 5 along with a test load # that is left blank so all I have to do is fill it in.

DeadWoodDan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 91

Thank you all,
      As I become more passionate about shooting more precise groups, and understand the importance of data collection, I am not at a point of consistency for evaluating such data. Having just recently purchased my first chronograph, am still learning what and why those numbers are important.

Discussions like this, don’t make me a better shooter, but will lead to better groups!

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

DeadWoodDan, low extreme spreads on velocity do not equate to a good load, It does however show a consistent load. Barrel vibrations affect bullet impact and the target is the best indicator of a good load. If you have two loads that shoot great at say 200 yards, the one with a lower extreme spread would be better for longer distances.

I plan on keeping my targets with the load data and chronograph data, also the weather conditions will be recorded. These will be placed into a folder just kept for a single gun, each gun having it’s own folder.

DeadWoodDan
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 91

Now if I can correct shooter error, I may be able to someday show a group worth posting. I have been storing data on flash drive for a few yrs, not the best organized but quickly finding will need more space. Going to order an external hard drive with lots of space hopefully this year.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

So you want to combine load data, chrony data and targets into one file, correct? Personally I’d do it by firearm first, then by bullet. I use the same bullets across a bunch of firearms so it wouldn’t be organized if I did it just by bullet. As far as what to do w/ them. Scan all the data and go from there. If you have an iphone or Android phone you can use an app like TurboScan or TinyScan. It uses the phone’s camera and creates a .pdf. Adding another page is as simple as clicking the + button and taking another picture. It’s easy to keep adding pages as you continue your load development.

Now for transferring to your computer you can email it to yourself. If you have Dropbox you can save directly to it as well. I’ve copied my entire reloading folder to Dropbox. This way I have access to it from any computer or anyone’s phone. At last count I had fifty load manuals in pdf. form. Nice for looking up information on the fly. I use Turboscan to make pdfs from the new manuals the come out. Okay, I veered off track for a little bit 😉

Another option would be to create a spreadsheet. This is handy if you have a chrony that saves data to a SD card. Export the chrony data into a spreadsheet and then you can add images of the targets. Or you could add links to a pdf if you created one. There are a lot of ways to do this and my way probably won’t work best for anyone else 😀

HangFire
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 3

Rattlesnake Charlie;n6560 wrote: Doc Highwall has provided a great form for “load data”.

But, how do we tie this to “chronograph data” and/or “target results”?

I have a large stack of old targets upon which I included the load data (not as detailed as Doc’s form) and chrony data. However, this is a rather bulky stack. I started this back in the 1980’s. Nowadays, we have the option of taking digital images. I’m thinking of how I can combine the three into a single pdf document. I suppose I would file them by caliber and bullet. I’m still in the thinking stage.

Looking for input.

PS I recently moved from a large 3 br house with 2 car garage into a 1958 vintage 900 sf quad unit. Reducing the volume of “stuff” I have kept over decades is becoming a desired thing. This recording project is important to me. Yeah, the 3K lbs of alloy is too. LOL!

I’m still in the process of converting to digital, but I have made great progress so far.

My first tip is taken from the scrapbooking people- start with your most recent event first, and once you get a handle on that, work your way backwards. If you never get a chance to work backwards, after a few years the backlog won’t matter so much any more, you’ll have a catalog of recent effort.

Next tip, once you are ready to work your way backwards through that stack of old targets and range notes, pick a one topic (rifle/cartridge) at a time and follow it back in time to backfill your digital history. It’s better to have one or two complete records then bits and pieces of this and that.

dragon183gt touched on Cloud services. Yes, they are VERY convenient, not just for you, but for everyone building a marketing database, executing a DCMA takedown, or a court order. After seeing upcharges for more than a couple Gigabytes, many violations of trust and privacy, including a couple of early cloud services fold up shop and lose my stuff forever, plus the NSA revelations, I can firmly say I’ll never use a Cloud service I’m not fully in control of. I use ownCloud at home and keep all my stuff on a home server (just an old desktop with a 1TB HDD.) My pics get uploaded only locally to ownCloud and the pics and all my casting and reloading notes get replicated to select workstations and laptops.

I noted I’m in transition. Once all my old reloads are shot-up, I won’t need paper any more (except for paper targets and range notes.) To kick off the transition, I scanned all my existing notes into PDF’s. Then, I mark up the paper and re-scan each page I updated. I set up an old printer/scanner/copier in my reloading workshop, that thing hasn’t printed in years, but it scans directly to my workshop laptop, which is on ownCloud. When I’m done updating older paper notes, I just scan them into the PSC (actually a Brother MFC or Multi Function Center), and replace the old page with the updated page.

When I get back from the range, I mark up targets in a bright blue ink with my load serial numbers and group sizes, then take a digital pic, and scan the range notes. I usually leave it at that and clean guns, brass, reload, etc. Later I pull them up on my other laptop or desktop (synced by owncloud) and update the digital notes with the new data.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Sounds like there are already some on the site heading in the same direction of going digital. Thanks for your responses. I will try to get my chrony to upload to my computer. I do intend to keep digital records of my loads by caliber and then bullet as suggested above. As for target scanning, I may have to take digital photos of some of the larger ones, and then try to turn them into pdf to reduce file size. The pipe dream would be to get all into a database that I can call up by firearm, bullet, powder, etc. with links to target files. I’ll work on this in the coming months, and post my results, whether success or failure. No sense in someone trying something known to not work well.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

Don’t put anything in the cloud that you aren’t willing to let everyone see. There are encryption services you can use to protect your data. Just make sure whatever devices you want to access this data from can run the encryption program.

In my case I don’t have my personal notes in the cloud. It’s just the easily accessible reloading manuals along w/ other firearms related items. All of them can be found w/ a simple Google search. Having them in Dropbox just makes it easy for me to access them across a wide range of devices.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.