Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

What do compensators do?,,, specifically on one of those (obnoxious AR’s), the ones at the range that have what looks like a 12″ barrel with 4″ of compensator on the muzzle? The ones that jarr your fillings when the guy is 6 tables away. The ones that ring the tin roof of the firing line, raising the roofing nails? What does the compensator do? Do anything at all??

The next question is why have what looks like a 12″ barrel on a bottlenecked round like 223? Why have 4″ of what seems to be dummy compensator onto a 12″ bbl on a high intensity round, just to make the whole thing pass the 16″ rule?? Is that it??

Why not just have a for real 16″ bbl, and let go of the junk comp??? The guy 6 tables over might appreciate that??

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

To the first part of your question, a properly tuned compensator will all but eliminate muzzle rise and jump. When the trigger breaks, the sights shudder slightly and that’s it. Many competitors need that edge to put more shots on target faster and it works really really well when you’re on the timer and hits count.

The shorter AR’s have even less physical firearm mass to help combat erratic behavior at a high rate of fire, and it becomes even more important.

However………Many of the folks who own these guns have no competitive or tactical experience or interest, and are only looking for the bang and the cool look.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That guy is one of these:

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

The vast majority of dohickys on the end of AR barrels are flash hiders . They function with the idea that head on to 20° right/left muzzle flash will be nearly invisible . The recoil reduction is nil , there is some gain in muzzle rise . Mostly they redirect the blast up and left/right instead of out . At least that’s the idea behind those similar to the A2 birdcage .

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I purchased a Romanian Draco AK-47 pistol with 10.5 inch barrel about a decade ago. It had only a thread protector on the end of the barrel. The recoil was sufficient that if you held it loosely as on the bench, it would recoil enough that on the rebound it would fire again, like the Slide Fire concept. I replaced it with a muzzle device listed as a recoil reducer. It did that admirably. As for reducing muzzle flash, it is just a different fireball now after dusk.

Other examples, I have fired a .460 Weatherby with and without the recoil compensator. It works. Same for shooting a .50 BMG rifle. I have shot a compensated 9mm Glock. In rapid fire it reduced muzzle rise considerably. After dark, the extra flash was blinding.

Different tools for different tasks, and there ain’t no free lunch.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

And as such, does the actual working compensator, or flash hider, direct the muzzle blast towards the adjacent shooting tables?

Perhaps augment the shooter, but flogging the guy nearby?

Rattlesnake Charlie
        Participant
        • Gold
        • ★★★
        • Comments: 679
        • Overall: 831

Rifle compensators do direct much of the gasses evenly to both sides (and often reward) which does result in a much louder report to those on either side and also behind the gun. They also direct some gasses upward to counter barrel climb. Pistol compensators predominately direct gasses up to counter barrel climb. Because they deal with a much smaller volume of gas, they typically do not vent to the sides. There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch. To reduce recoil and barrel climb, those gases have to go somewhere. In many cases it is “convenient”, but in others such as a .50 BMG rifle, it is absolutely “necessary” even with a rifle weighing 15+ pounds. “Range Etiquette” goes a long here.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

I have a nice factory compensator on a Ruger Mark 1 22 semi-auto.

It stops barrel lift and really makes the rapid fire part of the course much easier

Mike

Jniedbalski
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 208
      • Overall: 232

Every one I tried I did not like the blast backward and the extra loud noise

Goodsteel
        Keymaster
        • Gold
        • ★★★
        • Comments: 2452
        • Overall: 2660

Jniedbalski, I think when it comes to compensators, if you need it, it’s worth it, if you don’t you’ll hate it.

Now SUPPRESSORS on the other hand……… Most folks don’t know what they’re missing.

Jniedbalski
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Chest Your right i don’t know what Iam missing .I don’t know squat about suppressors. I have never ever seen one at the range I go to or in person. I don’t know any body that has one. I would like to try one some time also would like to shoot a full auto just one time. I guess muzzle breaks if you really need it I guess would be great. But to me at the range for me they just don’t work. I hate the backward and sideways blast you get. Also the blast to the table next to you. I was at a range with my 17 yo shooting ars. The guy next to us says go ahead. I told him he my not like the blast from my break on my rifle. He says it will be ok. Well the first shot knocked off his hat and blew it on the ground. After that I put back on the regular flash hider. The 223 dosent hardly even kick any way.even when shooting with nobody around the precision back into my chest messes up my contertration

Jniedbalski
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Went to the range today one day after telling goodsteel I have never seen a suppressor. Well A guy had a scorpion  carbine and a glock pistole with a suppressor shooting 9mm subsonic .  well I was more than impressed . The sound was like shooting 22 cb caps out of the carbine and glock. I could not believe how quiet it was expecaly the pistole. Wow very impressed

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Well, first of all, you mention the gun was 9mm subsonic.

At subsonic speed, it doesnt take much at all to suppress it. There is not much there to begin with, take it with a grain of salt.

Now, take a full bore .30-06 and get THAT to sound like a .22 and now you talking about a REAL supressor !!!!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.