Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Since the XCB project began, I desperately wanted to see our cast bullets in flight both above and below the RPMTH, but at normal speeds of <2000FPS and at speeds up to 3200FPS. I felt we could learn a tremendous amount, and I do not think I am alone in this.
      I checked into a HS video camera, but the cost would make you faint. I figured there are fellows out there who have $60,000 bass boats, and I don’t fish………..???
      In the end, I regrettably decided there is no way I could afford that.

However, I recently found a place to rent high speed photography equipment, and the new shop will be a perfect test facility for this, which I did not have in years past. I have explained to the gentleman who owns this equipment the speeds that we are shooting at, and the objectives I hope to achieve. He set the equipment up with high power rifles and demonstrated an ability to catch bullets at these speeds using his equipment.
      Very soon, I will be conducting a week long experiment of epic proportions that might give us information about shooting at HV that we have never been able to see before. I am excited to once again put imagination and conjecture aside for true science, and you’ll be the first to see these photographs as I post them here.

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 130
      • Overall: 138

WoW.

Awaiting developments with baited breath.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

It’d be neat to see one with all but the gas check out of the muzzle right before it uncorks…or see what a muzzle break does to one…or what dacron or COW does as it exits…or to see a gas check come off…or…or…

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

I am EAGERLY awaiting this as well!! Could be some very useful info come from this. Charge on Goodsteel!!

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I too eagerly await.

I’m not a high velocity convert, but the subject is of interest to me after shooting Larry’s HV rifles the last couple of years while visiting him in Arizona.

Wright Arms
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 130
      • Overall: 138

High velocity convert or no, there is an enormous potential to be learned here. May I suggest one look at Tim’s 45/70 thread. I’d dearly love to see one of those bullets 1″ from the muzzle.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

Looking forward to all your posts, cutting edge stuff 🙂

Ken

Waksupi
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 106
      • Overall: 112

Excellent!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I’m not a high velocity junky either ,but this does hold my interest . Several reasons , 1 is that with this we can know absolutely why the convergence bullets shoot 60/40 where slump actually occurs , etc.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

Outstanding!!!

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

If I can help in any way, just holler 🙂

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You can, and I will. Thanks Glenn.

DRIVERMAN
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 3

A picture is worth a thousand words. Looking forward with keen interest to this projects results.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have been in contact with the photographer. He was not sure if he could capture bullets exiting the muzzle at 2700-3000 fps, so he ran a few tests to make sure. These are the pictures he sent me:

Obviously, what we could learn from photographs like these of cast bullets cannot be understated, and I’ve never seen any posted anywhere, and if there were, I would be pouring over them often. This is going to require an outlay of money and time, but it’s the only way we’re going to see these photos.
      If all goes well, there might be video in the future as well. I’m curious as a man can be about this.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

Those are awesome! Excited to see what the future holds!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

That clarity is excellent !
      the million frame/second cameras don’t come cheap but digital image is very inexpensive and compact to store.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

This is very interesting.
      I’d like to actually see the results of the dreaded bad muzzle crown.

Have you guys seen the high speed photos from the German outfit, that showed the bullets hitting objects, mushrooming, and spinning with the rifling?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

kens;n11276 wrote:
      Have you guys seen the high speed photos from the German outfit, that showed the bullets hitting objects, mushrooming, and spinning with the rifling?

Many many many times. Again and again.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Shock wave preceding exit is interesting. Lower fps with cast would be appreciated also. GoFundMe or funds needed to accomplish this?

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

What is the photographer’s fee? Do you rent by the hour or frame?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m renting this equipment for two weeks and get to take all the pictures I can. I’ve got quite a few irons in the fire but I suspect that when it comes down to the nut cut, I’m just going to rent the stuff and do my best to figure it out. I may end up renting it for a month to get all the testing done.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

popper;n11304 wrote: Shock wave preceding exit is interesting. Lower fps with cast would be appreciated also. GoFundMe or funds needed to accomplish this?

I’ve got the funds taken care of (I think). What I really need is to get some scientific minds in the shop with me while I test so I get full value of the equipment and the tests are conclusive. I’ve reached out to my photographer, to Lars45 and Doc44 (they helped me with the HV bullet trap experiments).

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Question is ‘what can be learned’ by the pics. One problem is the gas cloud that partially obscures the boolit. We now the trajectory is cycloidal – nutating spiral. Hard to capture the flight path – but the army has done that with 223. Possibly a ‘bad’ base = bad crown can be observed at muzzle exit – by the shock wave? Possibly a ‘slumped’ nose on a weak alloy (or the C.O.D.) at high pressure/fps? Need to make a list of ‘what I’m looking for’, then try to capture it.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You’re singing off my songsheet, that’s for sure.

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Tim I would gladly kick some funds in I am to far away to make the trip and I don’t know how much help I would be on that scientific mind thing anyway
      Tony

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

It’s interesting to see how much smoke and flame escapes past the bullet before it seals the bore.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.