Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I recently received info for SEAL 1 CLP. As most CLP products, they promise the moon and are a little pricey. What is your experience with any of them? BTW, I’m using Ed’s Red bore cleaner if that tells you anything.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I use Break Free CLP on all moving parts of the AR15 .I don’t use it as a bore cleaner.
      I use Bore Tech Eliminator ,and follow it with Birchwood Casey Barricade for rust prevention.
      I have been using Barricade( previously called Sheath) for twenty five years. I live in an area of high humidity .
      I have never had a case of rust when used consistently..

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

I use hoppes for borexample cleaning. Foam copper solvent. Mobile 1 and ballistol for lube.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I’ve tried several wonder oils for guns and a while back was converting some military ’06 brass into 7×57 and noticed it took some force on the lever to accomplish. So I decided to experiment with several and came to the conclusion that Royal Purple motor oil was more lubricious than any of them. An engine is like a gun that fires several thousand rounds a minute for extended periods, so the oil must lubricate and clean carbon fouling for millions of “shots” hot or cold. It also needs to prevent rust when sitting idle. I like the price too.

LenH
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 32
      • Overall: 36

I use Ed’s Red, it has served me well. A Bullseye buddy gave me some of Roddy Toyota’s oil. I’ll post the contents after I get home from work. It is good stuff.
      I use it on my pistols to lubricate, a little goes a long way.

Roddy Toyota’s Gun oil Mixture

1 Part STP oil treatment
      2 Parts Marvel Mystery Oil
      2 Parts ATF
      3 Parts detergent motor oil any weight

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I still feel the advertising has us terrified that is we do not use their product our prized firearm will become encrusted in rust and not function for more than a handful of rounds. Yet, as I have read some responses, the basics seem to work well. Are we being led to the cash register by the nose? Yes, I love to stir the pot. But, I want to know what really works! I’m tired of snake oil salesmen.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Ballistol for nearly everything I have. Guns, holsters, wood dashboard parts of my car. Most remarkable substance I’ve used over nearly 60 years with 30 of em a professional gunsmith to boot. Oh yeah, I use it on boots too.
      Only thing it doesn’t do is deeply imbeded copper. There I switch to Barns CR10 for copper removal.

But yes, it appears every company does hit you between the eyes with the pitch that your weapons will be destroyed by the elements if you fail to use their products.

My use of Ballistol is based strictly upon personal experience and study. What I really appreciate about it is that it’s 100% safe on skin. Zero carcinogens. The German medics in WW1 used it to treat minor cuts and abrasions as well as a preventive for trenchfoot due to its reaction with water.

That’s my 2 cents worth anyway.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That sounds pretty impressive. I will have to try some.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That sounds pretty impressive. I will have to try some.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

I like Ballistol for black powder guns. It will actually remove copper fouling, but it takes several days soaking. It dissolves it into a green goo. I keep some on hand, but still use other things.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

I switched to Ballistol years ago. It’s not the greatest at anything. But it’s completely non-toxic and doesn’t harm any part of a firearm. I keep my firearms in a climate controlled safe and well oiled so I’m not worried about long term storage. Use it on my work tools as well. Only downside is the smell. I’ve gotten used to it. But it really lingers unlike something like Hoppes. I just wiped down my bench top w/ it this afternoon. I started buying it by the gallon because of how much I use. I’ve tried a lot of other products but switched to only Ballistol based on it’s non-toxic nature.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Ballistol is so versatile that when my ignition coil and distributor wiring of my old junker car was corroded and shorting out, a spritz of this fixed it up in a jiffy.
      Makes oil finish stocks just glow. A coating inside holsters keeps the tanning acids neutral and zero effects upon the weapons.
      I also oil my guitars fretboard and strings with it too.

Flat out remarkable fluid with tons of uses. I too buy it in large quantity. Their website is quite informative and bears inspection.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.