Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Snagged this one in a combined swap and cash deal. Have never had an engraved pistol and decided I deserved one before I cash in. A very smooth and well made weapon. Nice fit and finish all wrapped in full engraving and perfectly checkered walnut grips. One word: STUNNING!

The old silver finish on the frame is well executed and the blueing is deep and rich. A joy to behold with the 18th century style lazer engraving. Imported and marketed by Cimarron Firearms, they’ve got a hit on their hands in my opinion. There are zero gaps, misalignment, or rough edges present. Timing is both silky smooth and flawless in operation.

Shooting Fiocchi 250gr RNFP cowboy factory loads, some Magtech 250gr RNFP cowboy factory loads both printed POA at 15yds and one of my 200gr RNFP handloads printed about 2″ low as expected. I’ll be sure to get 250gr RNFP in the future or simply aim a tad higher. It shoots centered and tight. If my hands were steadier I’m sure there would be some cloverleaf patterns here. I’ll be sure and try it later off a sandbag.

I just wanted a fancy sixgun and this one was in the display case when I entered the shop and started horse trading. Thought I’d have to shoot a neighbor who wanted to sneak it out the door yesterday! Now he’s saying that it is in my will to him. Boy’s gotta do better than that! Ha!

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Great score Butch.  My father in-law has one of those 45LC Cimarrons in a 7.5″ barrel (not engraved.).  The cylinder pin has a set screw not a cross pin, however.  There was also talk about upgrading to fancier grips.

He’s bought factory loads to start out but hasn’t shot it yet.  I told him to save the cases and we’d reload them.  Looks to be a fun one.

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

Great! He’s got one based upon the old black powder frame with the basepin held in place by the single screw. Course the new made ones are not restricted to BP and are fully rated for standard smokeless loads. He’s gonna love it.

Altamont has great grips for SAA weapons. Don’t know how to do a link thing with my smartypants phone but y’all can look up Altamont Grips and find em. Reasonably priced and well made. They supply most gun makers with their custom grips today. Good folks to do business with too. Your father-in-law can find some fine grips for his hogleg there!

I was thinking about a set of ivory for this engraved one but once the Ballistol began to work its way into the wood I changed my mind. The walnut has begun to take on a nice sheen to it and the checkering is so well done I don’t think I’ll change a thing.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Dad wanted a BP model.  The pin set screw sticks out with a hex head, which he doesn’t like.  He’s talking about refitting it with a set screw.  (Cutting off the hex head and cutting in a slot like the originals.) His has straight walnut grips that are certainly acceptable. I like your checkering pair better however.

Found them.  They’re reasonably priced too.  I’ll show him the website and see what he thinks.

https://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/colt/single-action/

Thanks

Uber

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

nice score Butch..

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.