Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 26

I have decided to buy a chronograph and went looking at different makes and models. I didn’t realize there were so many makes and so many models with in each make. And prices to go with them.
      So a question for you members that have them, what do you use and why do you like it.

uncle jimbo

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

So I have a Chrony – it’s price point vs performance for me …

My friend has a Chrony and a Magnetospeed – because the Magnetospeed doesn’t work with some handguns.

the Gold Standard is the Oehler model 35

Deep1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 4
      • Overall: 4

I have a Chrony and a magneto speed also. I love the convenience of the magneto speed.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I have a PACT XP PROFESIONAL, when it finally breaks or i get the money I’ll probably buy a Lab Radar. I can’t complain about the Pact it works well and puts the expensive part next to the shooter, not in the line of fire.

If you’re one of those people who likes lots of data and try to keep records then find something with a print option and look for one that comes with good software.

Just remember pretty much all chronographs work the same and have the same parts. So you need to look at the features and let that be your guide.

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze

Nice video Artful. Thanks.

rockrat
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 23

I would start out with an inexpensive one as you know you will eventually shoot it!!:) Ask me how I know!

Its what I still use.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

OOOHHHHH that NEVER happens LMAO
      says the guy with a shot Chrono (me a F1 Master)

Ill probably upgrade to a Alpha master later
      Features:
      Gives numbered shot velocities
      Velocity stays on display until you shoot again
      Stereo Jack for optional Remote Control or Printer
      ONE String, from 2 to 32 shot memory (Numbered)
      Measures High, Low and Average Velocities, Extreme Spread and Standard Deviations.
      Retrieval of individual shot velocity measurements
      Delete individual shots from memory (with automatic adjustment of Statistics)

The Ohler in any model is the standard which all are measured against But the shooting chrony will work for most applications

http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_SCMMCM.htm

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

My vote is for the shooting Chrony. Great solid unit. I suggest you get the one with the remote DRO. I wish I had done that.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

The MagnetoSpeed is great, but I submit that it’s geared towards hardcore shooting where the same rifle will wear the unit for long periods of time. If I take a number of rifles to the range with the purpose of just getting reference speeds for a number of loads, it gets a little tedious to strap and un-strap the unit multiple times. Add to that a couple of things to be aware of: point of impact will change every time the unit is removed, and prolonged shooting with skinny-barreled rifles have a tendency to work the unit loose and slide it forward by recoil.

It excels with heavy-barreled target rifles shooting multiple or long strings.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

bet ya I could figure out how to shoot a Magnetospeed Bjorn

The remote DRO Tim is talking about is known as the Master in any of the classes

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Makes it awful easy to look at from the bench:

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

The muzzle blasts from thousands of cast rounds has already "shot" the MagnetoSpeed bayonet.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Alpha Master has the remote screen

wingspar
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 8

I went with the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph. Picked it up from a guy on another forum for $50 plus shipping. Arrived looking new and unused. A little finicky with the lighting conditions, but on a good overcast day, this things works well.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Overall: 129

I use the Caldwell Precision Ballistic Chronograph. It comes in a kit with everything you need.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTN5290/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

I have the Magneto Speed and for the most part like it. For full disclosure it is the only chrono I have ever owned/used so I cannot really compare it to anything. I haven’t done any POI change tests yet but have read that it does. As Bjornb states you should pay attention to where it is on your skinney barreled hunting rifle. While shooting yesterday I was in the middle of shooting my best cast bullet group to date. In my excitement I failed to notice the thing was working its way off of the barrel. On the last shot something went flying by my feet. It was the bayonet that had come loose and dangled on the cord flying underneath the bench and hitting my feet!
      I think if I were to get another it would probably be the LabRadar. I like the idea of having the unit setting out of harms way.

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze

Well I have been looking at the makes that members have posted about and I think I am going to go with the Alpha Master Chrony. I looked at the Oehler model 35, but that is a bit much for what I will probably be doing with with it. But it does look like the top of the line.

Thanks for all the input,

uncle jimbo

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze

Went and looked at Lab Radar. Damn what a nice unit. It looks like it would be fun to own, but again it is a little much for what I will probably do with one.
      Still be fun to own though.

Str8shot426
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

I have the Caldwell deluxe unit. I really like the iPad iPhone app link. Makes storing load records easy.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

VANN;n971 wrote: I have a PACT XP PROFESIONAL. I can’t complain about the Pact it works well and puts the expensive part next to the shooter, not in the line of fire.

If you’re one of those people who likes lots of data and try to keep records then find something with a print option and look for one that comes with good software.

Second the Pact XP wonderful chrono .. Ditto the remote readout .. expensive stuff in on the bench next to you ..

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Overall: 131

I have a PACT that my wife bought for me a long time ago, and I upgraded to a CED about 8-10 years ago and it is a pain to set up aligning the screens. So when I heard about the Lab Radar unit I ordered one and have been using it since last October and really love how easy it is to set up and use.

dragon813gt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 79
      • Overall: 84

A LabRadar was delivered to me on Monday. I look forward to not having anything in front of the firing line. As this technology matures it will replace the traditional chronographs. The price will come down as competition increases. Something to look forward to if you don’t want to buy one now.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I’ve had Chronys since the mid 90s and have always had good luck with them. I upgraded several times as my friends shot holes in mine. I currently have the Alpha Master and do like the readout sitting next to you on the bench.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I need to upgrade mine. I like yours a lot better!

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze

MY Alpha Master Chrony showed up yesterday during a snow storm. 😡 Hoping today will be the day to go outside and try it. Suppose to be nice and sunny. Guess it will depend on how long it takes to melt the new snow. :p

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Overall: 131

My first chronograph was a PACT that my wife bought me, then I bought a CED so I could use the PACT down range for velocity readings. Now I have a Lab-radar that is the best thing since sliced bread it is so easy to set up and use, even when the firing line is hot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4a37bqY1SM

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.