Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

While processing a pile of 5.56/.223 brass I found quite a few that someone’s gun chewed up. It left a big uptick of brass on the case head. All were Aguila cases, so I assume it was the same gun. What might have caused this?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

early extraction will bend rims. Although some AR’s have a rough extractor.
      Usually though is related to early extraction be that because of gas port size, weight of buffer, worn buffer spring, or type of powder used in the load.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

The brass does not show any sign of the rim being bent due t a violet/early extraction. It is just the “lump” on the surface of the head.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 73
      • Overall: 86

How many Cases are like that? 30 plus
      If not too many I would toss or
      at least keep to one batch (for when you are most likley to not be able to find them after you shoot them
      Could also be high pressure (ejector pin hole flow)

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

They are in the scrap bucket.
      I too wonder if they were not very high pressure as the brass around the primer pocket looks more like it had flown out rather than a crimp.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

This is a sign of over-pressure loads. The mark you see is the brass flowing into the ejector hole. My money is on the Ruger Mini-14 as the culprit firearm. The rim damage wouldn’t be as broad with an AR-15. Regardless, I’d say deep six that stuff and don’t look back.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Looks like over pressure to me too…….I’d toss the cases.

May or may not be over pressure for the firearm, could just be over pressure for the cases.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Larry Gibson;n14746 wrote: Looks like over pressure to me too…….I’d toss the cases.

May or may not be over pressure for the firearm, could just be over pressure for the cases.

Aguila? My money’s on manufacture defect……..

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If it were a manufacturing defect, the “lump” would be in the same place on each case. They are not. I think it was the load/gun. Just happened that they were all the same brass manufacturer. Makes me think it was all the same shooter.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I meant pertaining to the amount of propellant used in loads…….
      What you see there is a classic sign of over pressure loads. I assume they are factory loads, because most reloaders would pick up their brass by instinct.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I understand now what you meant Tim. Thanks for the clarification. What we have pretty much concluded is that these casings were from the same gun and were way high in pressure.

Could this be due to them being loaded to 5.56 specs and fired in a .223 spec chamber?

Has anyone ever fired any Aguila ammo in .223/5.56?

Aguila’s website does list two distinct rounds:
      .223 REM 55 gr FMJ at 3,215 fps
      5.56 X 45 62 gr FMJBT at 3,150 fps

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I doubt it, but I wouldn’t discount it as being a possible contributing factor. If people were half as aware of the danger of double charging their handloads as they are that one time in history 5.56 caused a little more boom in a 223 than the owner was comfortable with, we’d be a lot better off.
      That whole scare was pertaining to one style of military ball ammo that is no longer used.
      Same situation: Rounds are loaded a little hot in the first place, then used in a 12 twist Savage 340 with a short throat, and voila. Perfect storm.
      These days, most all 223 rifles are throated and twisted for the heavier/longer bullets (not that twist was a contributing factor, only a coincidence to the short throated barrels) and it’s no longer an issue IMHO. Back in the 60s, that was a different story.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.