- October 1, 2016 at 6:21 pm #30436
Anschutz 1907 Bedding Block
I had purchased on Gun Broker a left hand 22Lr. bench-rest rifle that had a Kimber action made in Clackamas Oregon. The rifle action was bedded in a McMillian bench-rest stock, and had a Harrell’s tuner mounted, and was nicely done up with the paint job.
I had a lot going on practicing shooting and teaching other people to shoot, and I had to wait for a set of rings to come, so it was past the three day inspection before I had a chance to shoot it.
When the rings came I mounted a Weaver T-36 scope on the rifle, and headed for the range. I used a Sinclair bench-rest with a Protector 3″ wide bag for the front, and Protector rear bag to shoot the rifle using Norma TAC-22 ammo.
The rifle would shoot two or three shots touching and then throw one high or low. This is usually a sign of a bedding problem or torque settings. So I took out my torque wrench and set the torque to 15 inch lbs. and shot a group, and there was no change. So now I decided to re-torque it to 20 inch lbs., again no change. At 25 inch lbs. the bolt was sticky, so I decided to remove the action from the stock. What I found did not make me happy at all. The rifle was sitting on pillars made out of Bondo, and that is why the bolt was binding at 25 inch lbs. torque. So now I have a problem as how to fix it.
The stock needed a miracle, or two. I quickly decided that if I was going to put this much effort into fixing the stock, that the Kimber action was not going back in. I had a left hand Anschutz 1907 that was in a fiberglass silhouette stock that was not getting much use, so the decision was made to bed it into the McMillian stock.
I went down into my shop and looked at what I had for scrap aluminum, and found a piece that was 1.072″ thick by 3″ and just barely over 7.5″ long. I then sat down at the cad program and came up with a design for a bedding block. This is what I designed and machined.
- October 1, 2016 at 6:25 pm #30437
This is what the stock looked like being machined, if you look you can see the .375″ end mill in the picture.
This is the stock with the opening for the bedding block complete, ready for the bedding block to be bonded in. As you can see the stock was originally inletted for a right hand action and you can see the cut out for the bolt. I did remove the bonding material where the magazine was. Then I checked the fit for the bedding block making sure there was room for the Devcon 10110 putty.
- October 1, 2016 at 6:33 pm #30438
Then to make sure that the block and action would be square to the stock when bedded, I mounted the bedding block in the milling vise, and attached a level to the barreled action. I then clamped the stock in the milling vise and leveled it. You can see the two doughnuts of masking tape to hold the barreled action at the proper height to the stock.
After I bonded the block into the stock, I bedded the barreled action into the stock. I even bedded the first 1-1/2″of the barrel. Unfortunately the bedding for the barrel made the rifle shoot with vertical groups, so I ended up milling it out so the barrel is now 100% free floating.
- October 1, 2016 at 6:35 pm #30439
Today I took the rifle out and the first thing I did was play a little with the action screw torque settings. I settled so far with a torque setting of 40 inch lbs. I then attached the barrel tuner and played with that.
The temperature was about 78 degrees but the wind was pretty variable with gusts at the firing line of 11.6 mph with an average of 2 mph out of the South to South West. The wind mill I had on the bench made more than a few 360 degree turns. The range I shot at today faces south and has a 100 yard berm and 200 yard pits. What happens when the wind comes from the South, it hits the back side of the 100 yard berm and picks up speed going over the berm like an airplane wing, then slams down on the targets. Today it even blew over my tripod that I had some surveyor flagging that I use for a wind indicator.
- October 1, 2016 at 6:41 pm #30440
- October 2, 2016 at 4:48 am #30448GoodsteelKeymaster
- Posts: 208
- Comments: 2452
- Overall: 2660
Looks like you took a disaster and made it a success.
- October 2, 2016 at 2:18 pm #30454
Thank’s Tim, it took about 50 hours for start to finish, minus the final fill and paint job that I will do this winter.
It is very easy to get into a bad predicament, it is another as how to get out of it and hopefully be a workable solution.
I have more testing to do with the tuner, but I will have to do it at a greater distance then the 100 yards that the targets I posted were shot at. I will also need mild wind condition’s to be sure it was the tuner results, not a bad wind call. The targets that I posted have a 1″ and 2″ rings on them giving you a relationship as to group size.
- October 2, 2016 at 3:06 pm #30457WaksupiParticipant
- Posts: 6
- Comments: 106
- Overall: 112
I’m surprised to see a Kimber delivered like that. It may be good to send those pictures to them.
- October 2, 2016 at 3:20 pm #30458
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.