Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 35
      • Overall: 39

I saw this and thought it was a pretty neat idea for someone wanting to try wadcutters without buying another mould. The concept is to slip a gas check into a grease groove in a larger cavity, and then pour lead into the mould. The gas check prevents the whole cavity from being filled, and the base of the cavity becomes the nose of the wadcutter. I could see this being used for .32 caliber revolvers quite easily, since most of us have at least one .30 and/or .31 caliber rifle mould laying about. What do ya’ll think?

http://www.sixgunner.org/aaronbwadcuttersp1.html

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

It’d make a pretty light bullet in most cases but I can see no fault.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Cool.
      I’d have to run the checks through a sizer first though. Cant stand it when a mold doesn’t close properly.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Been doing the same for years. Originally learned of it from Skeeter or Nonte. Best to use older Lyman slip on GCs or home made GCs so the mould will close. If crimp ons are used they usually need to be sized first. As the mould is very hot it’s best to use tweezers to insert the GCs. I also pre heat the GCs by setting them onthe mould warming plate on top of the Mag20. Once the bullets cool the slip on GCs usual pop off easy enough and can be used again and again. Thet end becomes the bullets nose.

Larry Gibson

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

neat idea but would burn your pinkys setting a gas check in a hot mold ha ha

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Slow poke.
      LOL!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.