This topic contains 9 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  GhostHawk 3 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
     Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 19
    • Overall: 20

I’ve been thinking of buying a #4 buck shot mold. The only ones I’ve seen lately is the Lee model. Is it any good? Their regular bullet molds leave a lot to be desired. The problem with #4 buck is the size of the pellets are small enough that you can fit a bunch of them in a mold.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I’m thinking about the same thing for the ten gauge.

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

I have a 00B in the 18 pellet 6C style the top /sprue pellet is the real problem as it has a huge flat on it . I don’t imagine that the 4B would be any different.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

I have used Sharp Shooter buckshot molds, and am happy. You have to snip the individual shot off the sprue, but he includes some nice clippers to work well. I have them in about every size he offers.
    http://buckshotmold.com/

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 134

I wouldn’t worry about the flat spot to much, you can iron them out if they really bother you. I used to take my round balls for my cap and ball revolvers and run them through a rock tumbler, when they come out they are almost perfectly round.

Years ago Cabela’s used to sell a heavy round steel pan with a heavy lid made just for ironing out the sprue on round balls

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

My Lee leaves a sub radius flat not a high sprue .

lar45 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 224
    • Overall: 245

I had the 6 cavity 00 buck mold from Lee and I had a hard time getting the mold hot enough to get consistent pours to the bottom of the 3 tiered cavities. It would crank out a large amount, but you just had to clip and sort out the ones that didn’t fill out.
    Do-It molds has a couple of round ball molds
    http://store.do-itmolds.com/Sling-Shot-PelletbrSz-110-16_p_699.html
    The only downside I see is that they don’t come with a sprue plate.

bear67 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 11
    • Overall: 12

I have the lee buckshot mold and it has not been used much–it works but not to suit me. I also have the Sharpshooter 00 and #4 combo with ten cavities of each side. I have used it and am overall satisfied. The middle grand kids can run this mold under a bottom pour pot and make quite a bit of buck. You have more waste/sprue with the sharpshooter, but just drop it in the pot. I will say that it requires gloves as the handles get hot fairly quickly. I don’t hunt game with buckshot, so if it has a little flat spot, I think it will still serve it’s purpose.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

It’s going to have a bunch of flat spots by the time it leaves the barrel anyway. Just sayin……..

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

Like rattlesnake charlie I have a couple of the sharpshooter buckshot molds. Mine are in .22 and .30 caliber. The .22 because it has been my experience that smaller shot often penetrated better and I was hoping to be able to use it in a pair of Pump up air pistols in a SHTF scenario. The .30 lightly placed in a capped 7.62x54r case and loaded in my Mosin is deadly on boxes, well the first layer anyway. 2 layers and it bounces. Gives me a way to practice rapid load, fire in the winter.

I have loaded some test loads for both 12 and 20 but not made it out to shoot them yet.
    Being a little smaller I could get 5 stacks of 3 in the 12, and 4 in 2 3/4 20 hulls.

There is a rather substantial sprue to clip off. But once clipped it goes into the pot for the next batch.
    It is not fast, but will work just fine in a pinch.

PS while the round balls are not as accurate as pellets in the pistols, they do fit well and shoot well.
    At 20 feet they would be minute of squirrel head. They grouped in about a 1″ circle at that range.
    But pellets will make one ragged hole smaller than a dime.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.