Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I want to try cast out of my old Armalite and was wondering if anyone had a favorite mold for the AR 10. 1 have an 311284 and a 31141 on hand, but I’ve just never gotten around to trying them in my AR.

I’m thinking I would be better of with around a 160 gr. bullet but that may be me just wanting an excuse for another mold.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660
      Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 30

the middle one is the one I like for my AR 10
      311332 I think it is.

here it is at NOE. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=1271

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Of the 2 suggestions I see one is a 190 grain the other is a 165 grain. The top one in your picture looks like my 311284 Blammer, am I correct? If so how does it perform?

I’ve have loaded the 311284 in 300Blk and 308 but I prefer it in my 30-06. If you have tried it in an AR, how did it perform?

90% of my rifles are either a bolt action or single shot, with my only semiauto’s being a 300 Win, and a few 5.56’s so I haven’t had to deal with a lot if the problems that a gas operating system would cause. How picky will an AR 10 be?

Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze

yes the top one is a 311284, I could not get it to feed well. the “blunter” nose of the 311284 drags on the (not sure what to call them) ‘splines’ that the bolt locks into that’s at the end of the barrel there. I have several 311284’s from various moulds, probably have 3 copies. That particular one has .001 too fat a nose on it, IN the MIDDLE of the nose (go figure) It prevented the action from locking it up because of the drag on the rifling. Yea I could use the jammomatic button each time, but really? Not me. I didn’t test the other 311284’s I had because, once again the nose was too blunt for feeding.

I loaded up a few test rounds just for feeding purposes.

the bottom one is the 311290? if I recall. You’ll notice a HUGE gash in the front of the nose of the dummy round. That one too failed for my rifle. Nose was just too blunt. If I got it to feed it was because I seated it way out and then the front band was engaging the rifling and not letting the action lock up. Two strikes for that one.

Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze

my AR 10 is not picky on firing and ejecting, it’s the feeding I needed to worry about. I just load up for 8×11 off hand accuracy at 100yds with my lead and let it fly. 🙂

Blammer
      Participant
      • Bronze

here were the other candidates. 🙂

the NOE 311247, 300 BO round, it would feed not to sure about stability because it’s so long and the Armalite has the 1:11 twist rifling

middle one, just a crazy one put there for fun

bottom is the 311365. 🙂 I’m sure it’d be fine just havn’t ran out of the 311332’s yet. 🙂

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Good info guys, just so you know I’m not ignoring anyone. The only bullet I’ve been able to shoot out of this particular AR with anything that I would call exceptional accuracy is a Berger VLD. I couldn’t get better than 2 moa at 100m with any of the factory ammo that I’ve tried. Even most of my hand loads where subpar. Which is the reason that I haven’t tried cast in it. I’m not sure why it’s so picky, but I’d be happy with 3 moa.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, now I’ve got a good excuse to buy another mold.

Goodsteel, how fast have you been able to push that 30XCB?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Goodsteel;n1437 wrote: Try my 30XCB mold.
      http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product…q95csu68kksu90

I’ll second Tim suggestion I don’t have a AR-10 but that bullet shoots well in the long throated 1903 that I have.

Can’t wait to shoot it in Mo

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

i have been using the 309169 by NOE
      http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product…q95csu68kksu90

the boollits just fall out of the mold

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.