Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 26

Got the Chrony I ordered today and now I am looking to buy a case tumbler. So again I am asking what others here that have them what you use and why. Any and all comments are welcome.

thanks,

uncle jimbo

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 129

I have the 5 lb model from Harbor Freight. It works fine. I use a mixture of crushed walnut and corncob.

Newt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 40
      • Overall: 43

I got a rock tumbler and some stainless steel pins myself. I guess it all depends on how much brass you clean at one time. I like how clean wet tumbling gets brass and I don’t mind having to do small (50-100) batches.

Smoke4320
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 140
      • Overall: 151

I have 3 different tumblers .. An RCBS big Green , a Midway About same size ( holds several hundred 45s or a 100 223s easily .. But I now mostly tumble in a Thumbler B with Stainless Pins
      It makes almost any case look brand new . including getting the inside and primer pocket sparkling clean

PS stay away from the Midway tumbler .. Poor quality bowl .. Poor quality mounting system ..
      old ones from 80’s-90;s were fine news ones suck eggs

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

I use a STM Rebel with stainless pins, tried the RCBS sonic cleaner, it’s good for cleaning gun parts. I also have a Midway and a Lyman vibratory polisher from way back that I use to dry and put a final polish on my brass. Sometimes I use the citric acid method to clean brass but I don’t think it does near as good as the stainless pins.

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

I have a Thumbler’s Tumbler, that I used to polish rocks with. Pressed it into service years ago with treated walnut media….that’s all they had then. It works well..
      Later I bought a Midway vibrating polisher, it’s easier to load and unload and works just as well if not better than the tumbler.
      Tried the wet tumbling thing, didn’t care for the lack of a mirror polish and the hassel of wet cases, having to get them all dried out was a pain.
      I’ll stick to the vibrating polisher…Thumbler now makes a big heavy duty vibrating model that would probably be the cats meow !
      Gary

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Have the Lyman and ssshhhhhh………I don’t ALWAYS clean my brass

lead-1
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 82
      • Overall: 90

Frankford works fine for me and I have a Cabela’s model 400 that I picked up real cheap that works but takes a little longer for the same results.

Newt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 40
      • Overall: 43

This is interesting to me. I have never used a vibrating polisher so maybe I am not understanding what you call mirror polish. The brass that comes out of my wet tumbler can be brighter than any new brass I have ever seen, which is very reflective. Is it the fact that the vibrating tumbler adds a polish, like waxing a car? Guess you can’t tell these things from looking at pictures.

Wheel Gun
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 43
      • Overall: 45

If your wet brass isn’t coming out as shiny as brand new or better than you solution isn’t correct in my opinion. Lemi-shine and car soap will give outstanding results. I don’t use pins for mine. At first I wasn’t a fan of wet cases but I developed a process that works very well with minimum work and now if it is Brass it get wet shined and if it’s Nickel it gets walnut polished.
      WG

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

I used an old Midway brand with walnut for 20 years until it died. Then I bought a Frankford Arsenal which I still have and use on occasion. Then I discovered stainless steel pins. SS pins work so well I thought it was a miracle. WW2 30 carbine brass looked brand new in 4 hours, no blemish marks left. Try that with walnut.

WVchuter
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 6

The method of tumbling you use will limit your choices. Also the condition of your brass will determine what you need. If your are going to pick up tarnished range brass then you may need wet tumbling. The wet process with SS pins cleans the ugly dirty brass and will clean primer pockets if the primers have been knocked out. In my opinion,The low end of wet tumbling is the Thumblers Tumbler B. TT are reliable and top of the line. SS pins cost about $40.00 but thats all you need.
      If you start with new or once fired brass then you probably don’t need to wet tumble. A vibrating tumbler is fine with corn or walnut media. A big help is to pre-wash your picked up brass in soap and water with citric acid. Citric acid can be Kool-Aid or lemon juice.Again Thumbler’s Tumbler is very good. I have a Ultra-vibe 18. I have used it 30 years and replaced the motor( $76.00) once. There are many good tumblers on the market.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

I converted an old drier into my wet tumbler. I tumble my brass after every time it is used. So the time I tumble is about half an hour per batch. Unless it is new to me, then it gets an hour washing.
      lately I am polishing less. If the brass is clean but not shiny it doesn’t bother me.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Thumbler B and SS pins. Well worth the investment. Actually does what it’s supposed to do, and (as I found out this past weekend) works excellent for brass shot with BP.
      Upon hearing that I was shooting BP in my 45-70, a buddy of mine said I could kiss my pretty, clean, brass goodbye. I sent him a picture of my sparkling brass right out of the tumbler.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I use two RCBS Sidewinders. One with coarse media and one with fine.

uncle jimbo
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 21
      • Overall: 26

I think that my wife would beat me with a big stick if I used the drier. No, I know she would.

Paul G
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

I have a Thumblers vibratory model 18 that I used for years but since I got a Lortone L40 rotary tumbler I only use the vibratory unit for cleaning case lube from cases after sizing. The Lortone is big and it must hold 15 or 20 lbs of media and brass. Just yesterday I loaded it with 3 or 4 hundred 44 mag cases and ran it overnight and unloaded bright shiny cases this morning. I much prefer the rotary not because it get the brass any cleaner, it doesn’t, but it is very quiet, I can barely hear it running. The vibrator on the other hand I can it running in the basement when I am two floors up. Oh I use corn cob media, I don’t do stainless pins.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 7
      • Overall: 8

I have many Tumbler all sizes form 2 Lb. to 40. The older american Made machine. are the best. Most are Indestructible. . . The new reloading machine .Mostly Vib types are Junk. for Reloader. I use strictly Rock Lapidary for all my Brass. These machine Run for days on End. . I have rated Them in a descending order Of Reliability. . Not that The one @ the bottom are bad. but the others are Heavier Or more commercial
      Lortone, Sears, covington. Star -diamond, Craftool, and thumles model b
      If It will Grind rocks They will polish Brass

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.