Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

Some of you might remember about the article that I posted on Cast Boolits about modifying dies for cast bullet shooting, if not here is a link to it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?90241-Modifying-Dies-For-Cast-Bullet-Shooting

I thought that it worked so well for my 7.62 NATO, that I made up more floating expanders in additional sizes for it and a set for my 30-30 as well.

The expanders start at .3070″ and go to .3115″ in increments of .0005″+-.0001″. The .3070″ to .3080″ diameters are for jacketed bullets, and the .3085″ to .3115″ are for cast bullets.

I have been trying to shoot some more tests the last several days and the wind has been blowing 10-15 mph and up to 30-35 mph gusts. So today I went down into my shop and finished machining the case for it that I made out of acetyl and after sanding it it looks like ebony. Here are some pictures of it.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Pretty Sharp Doc. I like it!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Doc Highwall

I’m not clear on what is meant by “floating” for this. Same goes for where the term is used like for bullet seating dies. Somehow it seems to help keep the neck and case body aligned, but I am not clear on how this is accomplished. Does the “floating” mean the expander is allowed to move inside the die body so it does not “re-position” the neck?

Rattlesnake Charlie

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

Rattlesnake Charlie, what I did was take a Forster competition seating die for the 308 Winchester and reamed out the upper diameter that was made to seat a .308″ diameter bullet to .3134″+-.0001″ , and opened the neck portion to .346″ to accommodate the case mouth after it is flared. Yes the expander is allowed to move inside the die and is long enough that when the case mouth enters the die, the angled part on the expander guides the case the rest of the way into the die positioning the shoulder in the same place BEFORE the expander comes in contact with the stop. The sliding chamber also positions the case exactly the same place before any expansion takes place.

This is why I think it works so well as to keep the case straight during the expanding step, so that when the bullet is seated helps keep bullet run-out to a minimum.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.