Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 52
      • Overall: 54

UPDATE: The prototype has been machined and fitted.
      It is a bit different from the initial design first posted.

The machining looks rough is a couple of photos due to angle and lighting. Surfaces are very smooth.

ORIGINAL POST:
      I have ordered a Burris Fastfire III sight for the new S&W 617 revolver (currently in jail). I did not like the cheap general purpose Weaver rail mount as it is rather large and puts the sight up high. There is a semi-custom one for lower mounting but it is rather dear.

So I have designed one in MasterCAM. The final design dimensions are pending arrival of the sight and the jail break of the revolver. The current design should be real close and is shown below. The three countersunk holes are for securing the mount to the revolver. The four green raised nibs fit into the bottom holes of the sight and the remaining two holes will be tapped 6×48 for securing the sight to the mount.

I’ll update this once the design is finalized and I have milled out a unit.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

That looks pretty cool. I mounted a Fast Fire II on my Ruger .41 Bisley. I also found any of the weaver rail mounts to be ungodly big and bulky plus they all required the rear sight to be removed. Thinking about it I searched out a low Weaver base that was almost flat on the bottom. A little judicious file work and it was flat. It was placed in front of the rear sight on the flat of the revolvers top strap. Two holes were D&T’d (6×48) and the base mounted. It does not obstruct the rear sight so if the FF II goes TU the FF II can easily be removed in the field and the revolver is still good to go. I’ve been looking and finding a similar base that is contoured to fit the round top strap of a Ruger Vaquero 44-40 (Old Model) and another on a K frame S&W to mount FF IIIs on. I really like the Fast Fire sights given with my old eyes I have to tilt my head back to see the sights clearly with the middle part of my trifocal glasses. The FF sight is much easier to use and I’m a lot more accurate with it.

Good Idea phil.

Larry Gibson

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze

Larry,
      That’s pretty clever how iron sight is retained. A nice compact install.

I enjoy doing these little milling machine projects. It provides useful items and furthers my MasterCAM capability. If this one works out well I may try selling a few for a hoot.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Wouldn’t surprise me if sell a few of them, especially for S&Ws. These smaller dot sights like the FFs are catching on with handgunners fast.

Larry Gibson

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze

I have updated my original post with photos of a machined prototype. Please give it an eyeball.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

That’s just the sort of thing I like to see.
      Very well done.

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze

Goodsteel;n7886 wrote: That’s just the sort of thing I like to see.
      Very well done.

Thanks for the comment.

I am headed to the shop to mill another one with some minor adjustment to the design.

One of my shooting buds wants one like it for his SP101. So that will be the next project.

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze

Hi all,

I have been off the forum for a time. Just now catching up with all the great posts.

Thought I would give an update on the mount. I have sold many of the mounts for S&W revolvers and now starting to sell the Ruger version. The following pictures tell the tale.

S&W mount:

Ruger mount:

Phil
      Participant
      • Bronze

12-19-2016 update — now I have designed one for the Contender:

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.