Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniellawecki
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 5
      • Overall: 7

While shooting my S&W 629 the other day the cast bullet moved forward under recoil. Well can’t open the gun the loaded round with primer intact of coarse the case full of powder. What would be the safe way to drive bullet back in case. Or would there be a safe easy?:(

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

This is one of the few disadvantages of a CCW rotating cylinder. For all the merits of a S&W revolver (and there are many) if this happens, you find that the bullet is blocking the cylinder from opening, unlike a Colt that will allow you to swing the cylinder from the left side of the frame and clear the problem.

If the bullet is only protruding a small amount, the way to fix this is to remove the parts that are locking the cylinder in place.
      1. Remove the grip.
      2. Remove the frame screws with a properly fitting screwdriver.
      3. Give the RH side of the grip frame a firm rap with a wooden mallet to dislodge the side plate.
      4. Remove the hammer block.
      5. Remove the mainspring tension screw and then the mainspring
      6. Pry up the rebound slide and remove it.
      7. Rotate the hand out of it’s slot and slide out the trigger with it and set them aside.
      8. Remove the hammer
      9. Remove the cylinder stop and it’s spring.
      10. Rotate the cylinder clockwise and see if you can get it out of the frame.

If the bullet is protruding too far to clear the frame on the bottom using the above method, then the only way to do this is to push the bullet back in the cylinder.
      This is safely accomplished in the following manner:
      1. Remove the grips from the frame.
      2. Block up the frame in a padded vice on a milling machine so the barrel is pointed straight up, and the recoil shield is well supported from behind.
      3. install a long aluminum rod in the spindle of the mill and position it directly over the nose of the bullet.
      4. Use the quill of the milling machine like an arbor press to carefully push the bullet home again.

That’s all I’ve got.
      I strongly advise against taking a hammer and dowel to the nose of the bullet. You wonder how the people in the Darwin awards find themselves in the strange situations they do, but situations like this are what leads up to it. Don’t put yourself in a situation where you could be hurt. If you’re not comfortable with what I wrote above or do not have the equipment, PM me, and we’ll talk it over.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Another method that might work is to drill and tap the nose of the bullet, then screw a piece of allthread into it. Take a piece of 1X2 and drill a through hole for the allthread rod, then screw a nut down till it seats on the wood. Place the short end of the wood over the muzzle and use the wood as a lever to pull the bullet from the cylinder a little at a time as you screw the nut down.
      This is not a very good method in my opinion because the opportunities to scratch your firearm are pretty much limitless. If you attempt something like this, wrap everything up with electricians tape so you don’t scratch anything.

badbob454
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 46
      • Overall: 59

only thing i can add to that would be when drilling nose of bullet do not let the drill bit get too hot… drill pause, drill pause , drill pause, insert screw, or all thread ,pull bullet

dverna
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 81
      • Overall: 86

The reason I do not taper crimp revolver rounds. A good crimp may degrade accuracy a bit, but it will allow better powder performance and no bullet movement under recoil.

Daniellawecki
      Participant
      • Bronze

This weekend I’ll tackle this little set back a big Thank you to Goodsteel and the rest of you.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 6
      • Overall: 6

You can rotate the cylinder backwards by slowly pulling the hammer back just far enough to lower the cylinder stop and then rotate the cylinder backwards. The cylinder will only rotate one chamber at a time with one retraction of the hammer but you will only have to do it maybe two or three times to clear under the barrel and then open the cylinder. Peazy easy.

Daniellawecki
      Participant
      • Bronze

It was Peazy easy the trusty wooden dowel and the trusty hammer one good swat. Had to think about could happen if it wasn’t for bad luck I wouldn’t have any.:)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.