This topic contains 21 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Wright Arms 3 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 140
    • Overall: 151

let me hear your ideas of what needs to be kept for storm/disaster/SHTF situations

I will start off saying most people will forget waste disposal, toilet paper, famine products, health/safety items

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 256
    • Overall: 296

Means of getting and keeping water, rechargeable batteries for small radio and solar charger for same. Extra dry cloths in cold weather.

dverna 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 81
    • Overall: 86

It is a huge list. Heat in the winter, water, food, medical supplies, tools, building materials, tarps, generators, fuel, taking care of pets, etc. Anyone here already has guns, ammo etc

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 802
    • Overall: 875

We stay pretty much stocked for 6 weeks . Water is the single greatest issue house storage is only about 50 gallons . Community storage with nochanges would last a week shift to rations and flat minimum use 6-8 weeks .

What we really have to consider is what sort of disruption we have to deal with in Louisiana you might as well figure on 2-3 times a year boarding up the windows and going to a Hurricane party in Texarkana. In southern Kansas you plan on sirens and a 30 minute storm that sweeps the house away and sticks saw through trees so shelter is an issue . . Out here we get winter winds that will rage for hours and cover 100s of square miles .35 gusting 50 we don’t even sweat but I fought house fires in 70-90 gusting 140 , well it’s actually unknown what the peaks were as the tape is only gridded to 140 mph, for 6 hrs damage ranged from blown windows to to trucks layed over like dominoes, to a 12×60 that had a full half twist in the frame. . On our list of other likely things are major earthquakes well exactly how do you plan for whole mountains moving (in a worst case scenario of course) ? Brother if the rigs are upright and able I’m out of here because the the lack of intelligent thought and 400 chefs with 4 Indians will cause me to go …. Nevermind you get the picture.
    Volcano is way down the list but with St Helens still lingering fresh in my mind and Mammoth mountain so close living on the side of a granite up thrust with lava cones and flows within 20 miles 200 degrees of the compass it’s a likely possibility. . Civil unrest is fairly unlikely to touch us for 3 to 6 weeks if the is a city escape of some sort ..the simple truth of the matter is that in the case of all hell breaking loose animal scavenging is the biggest danger where I am. After the disaster it’s self . realistically most of what is likely is unprepable except to have a solid means of escape.

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 134

It’s just about impossible to be fully prepared, after hurricane Katrina went through I got to realize how bad a natural disaster can be.

The first week we had no water or ice, so no baths and everything in the deep freezer spoiled. After that we had water for about 1 hour a day when the water department used a tractor to run the water pumps. They would run long enough to fill the water towers and shut the pumps down.

I live on a off road with only 5 other houses so my street was not a priority for the power company. So basically we had no lights, or hot running water for about 4 weeks.

All I can say is I could name all of the meals in a case of MRE’S and it doesn’t take long to get sick of them. I also developed the ability to take a cold shower, after the first 3 minutes or so it really isn’t that bad.

Now I have12 cases of MRE’S stashed and about 20 jugs of drinking water. Lately I have been thinking about stocking up on some of the Wise brand freeze dried food. Since I live in the country anyways its just about easier to set up a tent and sleep out side.

When the power goes out now the first thing we do is fill all of the tubs up with water so we can flush the toilets.

Here is a short list
    toilet paper
    matches
    baby wipes for cleaning up and sponge baths
    body powder
    can food
    animal food they get hungry too
    Drinking water
    Canned fruit another source for water
    Dutch oven or a good set of camping cookware for cooking out side
    hand sanitizer
    Lanterns I like the duel fuel type we hand a major gas shortage and end up siphoning gas out of lawnmowers and anything else around.
    Spare socks for the lanterns

Like I said you can never be fully prepared.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

I’m not going to write it out but here’s some links for your consideration

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~ina22/+301/$301-text-Personal_and_Family_Survival.html

https://www.fema.gov/pdf/areyouready…ready_full.pdf

http://thesurvivalmom.com/wp-content…ess-Manual.pdf

http://www.shastadefense.com/zLDSgetPrep.pdf

General information is out there – you just have to google for it.
    The Morman plan of adding a little each month is painless really
    And as for keeping your frozen stuff – you just need a genset and keep the door shut as much as possible.

Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I have a farm in the country .. nearest neighbor is 400 yds away, next one 1/2 mile, next one is 2 miles so we tend to get along fine .
    Just wanted to hear what others thought was necessary

dverna 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 81
    • Overall: 86

Vann

The Wise foods are not very good. Try Augason Farms. Sam’s Club carries them on line if you cannot find locally. Best to rest before making a major investment.

Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Living on a farm we have our bases covered.. Always will be short of something but we make due

Not that I want to rely on them completely or even mostly but 50 cases of MREs will get us by for a year. They are VERY good for trade bait as well

3/4 acre pond with treatment tabs is backup to 2 wells .. so you kind of get the point ..

my nearest neighbor is 400 yds away, next one is a 1/2 Mile , then next is approx. 2 miles away and we all made it thru Hugo and the Famous ( around here)
    2 week ice/ snow storm .. both times we had no power for over two weeks ..

I just wanted to see what others thoughts were..

PS I agree on the wise foods .. There is MUCH better out there

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 134

Thanks for the info on the Wise brand food. I’ll have to check out that other brand you mentioned.

People get stupid when things go south, locally we had people shooting each other over ice and shots where exchanged more than once over fuel pump disagreements.

For about 3 years after the mess was over I kept a 55 gal drum of gas with fuel stabilizer in it. The amount of gas you’ll go through in a week is unbelievable if you run a generator 24/7.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Vann is right, if you run a generator 24/7 you do burn up a lot of gas. Has been many years but we have had winter storms that on one rare occasion knocked out power for for some on the bottom of the line for up to 6 weeks. Lots of propane storage is smart but check out your new stove, all now do not have pilot lights , a few you can light with a match but most of the electric controlled gas stoves only will light with a electric current present. Some have battery packs but they will only last a short time. We can light our top burners with a match but not the oven. What I did for a back up was I found a older apartment size stove that is propane only, nothing electric and set it up out in our wash house right out the back door. We use the heck out of it especially during canning season and the oven is a life saver when all the kids are home.
    A few keep a wood burner on hand but how many have stainless steel chimney liners to support it? They can keep you from burning down your house especially if it is a older one with a masonry chimney.
    If you have a windmill powered well you should be good to go but a submersible is going to require more of that precious gas unless you convert to solar and actually compared to serious repairs to a windmill or it’s replacement solar is becoming more viable all the time.
    Shelter, heat ( in the winter ) and water are the basics.

GRUMPA 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 20
    • Overall: 32

Some of you may know we live very remote, kinda like smoke does but even more so. Sometimes I have to wonder when folks ask these types of questions since the Mrs. and I have lived this way pretty much our entire lives even though we lived in the city for years since we moved to the country 11yrs ago.

The wife and I seem to be of a different mind-set than most, we found out through trial and error that having things or something you think you may need are 1 thing, knowing what to do with them is another ballgame all together. Most folks (as an example and easy to relate to) will have let’s say ammo, if someone else knows you have ammo, in a stressful situation will want what you have. Now…..just have the components…..and chances are nobody will be able to use what you have. This is just what we call basic, you know how to make it all work, they wont and the chances are very good they’ll never open that reloading book you may have sitting on the shelf entitled “How to reload for the complete idiot”.

Most folks spend the coin on simple things like pre-made meals, whether it’s MRE’s or canned processed foods, someone that knows what you have will want it. Again if folks just have what we call basic food stuffs, and know what to do with it others wont take the time to figure it out. Around here we make our own bread, we grind our own wheat, we have generally 100Lbs of flour, Gluten, salt and the like to make our own bread. Most people wont know what a grain mill is, let alone know how to use it and make there own bread. Making our own noodles is kinda simple for us, like anything it takes time and knowledge.

I can really keep going on and on about this but I wont.

In a nutshell it’s knowledge and abilities that’ll get you through hard times, along with the raw materials in order to actually make what you need.

Here we have chickens, let me clue you on something. You can do a lot with eggs and the Mrs. and I can eat a lot of eggs, we get about 8-14 a day depending on the time of year. Run out of chicken food?….Let them free range…..chickens eat anything that isn’t nailed down, but even the nailed down stuff I have to wonder about.

About the only thing we concern ourselves with around here is what we literally can’t do on our own. Like medications, tire replacements, spare parts (to a point) and right now being able to move fast enough (we’re getting older).

We live COMPLETELY OFF GRID so for us it’s just another day out in the country. And to give you folks an example it’s been 3 weeks since we went to town for groceries of any kind. When I ship things it’s a 1 1/2hr round trip to the closest P.O. and that town doesn’t have a market.

If you really want to know first hand what you need, try this, it wont be fun or easy but you’ll understand real quick what you may need for yourself.

Stay home…..most folks can’t and wont do this, most folks do have to go to work. But doing this will give you first hand knowledge about what yu use and what you run out of in a hurry. Most folks just don’t realize the problem comes from animals, generally the 2 legged variety. If they want to get your attention all they need to do is break a window and just wait outside to see what comes out. And I don’t think folks will have things like replacement glass sitting in the workshop or garage, much less know how to replace just the glass.

OK enough…I’m getting carried away…..

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

No Matt, it’s valid – before Y2K – I made the wife to a weekend drill with the power off – (well did leave the circuit for freezers on) but set up Genset run cord inside to power fridge – cook outside – taking water from pool – she saw the pain.

GRUMPA 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Here’s something I’ll add and give folks some food for thought.

Generators: I’ve read about having those, and using them. BUT!!!!!….in a time of crisis do you really want to advertise you have 1? When a person that doesn’t have 1, has no power, and wants 1, and is going to want 1, isn’t going to want 1? Again I live remote, not a lot of sounds at night unless you count the coyote howling and yelping off in the distance. Those suckers make a lot of noise, and draws folks like a moth to a flame. Is that what you want to happen? because I can guarantee it will happen the longer any crisis goes on.

Trade bait????…..If whomever wants to trade you for something he needs/wants and he has nothing you want/need that’s where the fun begins. Good luck with that 1 and you can be assured there will be others. Just how long do you think it’ll be before your the person doing 24/7 sentry duty wondering if/when they will come back in force trying to get what you have and wont give them?

Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

No plan is perfect and there are ways to guard your supplies without you actually being there .or it being near you. have to think a little out of the normal every day box . 🙂 🙂

and it a true SHTF situation it will take banding together and forming small communities to survive ..

Grumpa as you said you and or the wife can’t be the only guard 24 hrs a day

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Right on all counts.

Reg 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I think the banding and forming small communities is a good approach but you must have the supplies to back them up. A lot of people takes a lot of food etc.

GhostHawk 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 258
    • Overall: 260

I am 63, and my wife and I both have medical issues that medicine controls quite well.
    But what do you do when the pharmacy is no longer open? And the credit cards don’t work? You don’t have enough cash to pay full inflated prices instead of running it through the insurance. I’d hate like heck to get caught robbing a pharmacy, but what are your choices?

Shelter/ heat can be the hard one up here in North Dakota in the winter.
    I had my furnace go down on friday at 5:30, weather was -30 and repair guy could not make it till monday.
    Kept the house between 55 and 60 with natural gas kitchen stove and clothes dryer in the basement, vented inside.
    No natural gas, then I have a small wood stove in the basement. Heated the house with corn with it one winter. I have some wood pellets stashed, but not enough.
    I can hold the house for days without power, but the natural gas quits life just got a whole lot harder.

Water is another hard one, real easy for 2 people to go through many gallons a day for drinking, cooking, flushing, bathing.
    Even assuming I can reclaim the 50 gallons in the water heater, drinking water will get hard to get quickly.
    There too I have 2 different systems, a larger gravity 5 gallon bucket system, and a smaller sawyer camping filter, and a couple of lifestraws.

Food the house is stacked to the rafters. Rice, beans, pasta, canned and dried fruit, canned butter, dehydrated eggs, you name it.
    I have not gone the route of the freeze dried meals in buckets as virtually every bucket I’ve looked at has a lot of oatmeal my wife can’t eat and I won’t.
    I have been stocking up on the long shelf life survival bars, 6 bars = 2400 calories, bought in bulk from amazon it was down around 30$ for 48 bars. Run through a grator add a little milk, a few berrys and heated a little makes a great desert or breakfast.

Knifes, firesteels, backpacks I’m in great shape. I have on average 300 rounds for most calibers I shoot, with extra in .223 and 7.62×39 as trading goods. Mostly sitting on a good supply of lead, primers, powder and brass.

My latest investment was in oil lamps with chimmey and wall bracket, and gallons of lamp oil.
    3 weeks ago my wife and I washed, bleached, rinsed, dried every saved water and coke bottle that I have been saving for the last 5 years.
    Majority are 16 oz aquafina water bottles, 8 to the gallon. We filled, boxed, stored hundreds. Not enough I fear, never enough.

The real question. You are sitting on your porch, after SHTF, sipping on a cool water. And you see a single mom and a 3 year old girl walk by.

You going to share? How much? How do you deal with the mob that shows up the next day or 2 when the word gets out?

Call me an old softy, 1 for me, 1 for my wife, 1 for a child till its gone. Once the easy is gone I can purify and refill some. But my heart will have to learn to get harder.
    If I survive that long.

JPHolla 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 120
    • Overall: 121

Just think of how people had to live 200 years ago. If the entire system collapses right now, we have so much more at our immediate disposal than they ever had. I’m all for thinking ahead, but a lot of people over-think this. The ability to adapt is paramount. Always, and in all situations. Holding on for a few weeks shouldn’t be a problem. If it is, you’re not living right. Staying alive in a world-wide catastrophe will require a complete paradigm shift. People who try to cleave to the old ways like generators, electricity, refrigeration, living away from water/food, bathing, etc. will not survive.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I can have 90 days of my pills ahead but the wifes injections only 30 days ahead and must be kept in fridge – so I don’t care who hears the genset – I’ll have to defend it, but Grumpa has a very good point. As far as giving stuff to strangers – I live in the burb’s so not much hear so why are they traveling thru? Could the Mom and child be the advanced scout – looking to see who has extra stuff to hand out to tell her gang where to go? Any signs of hardening of the property? Any weapons visable?

GRUMPA 
    Participant
    • Bronze

The thing is…… there’s a lot of things folks think or wonder about that I call “Hypothetical Situations” and somehow it’ll border on fact. Some just like to ponder ideas, roll them around in there head, and try to come up with a somewhat happy answer. Personally I don’t want to live my life thinking about things like that since it’ll be a long and fruitless endeavor that results in nothing more than chasing your own tail. Makes for a good story though doesn’t it?

Most folks around here don’t care much for the wife and I, trust me on that. I can be rather direct, and the wife keeps telling me I’m to black and white. I can’t help it, try growing up with a dad and Grandpa that were LEO’s and not be black and white when it comes to people. Folks around here like to talk…..a lot!!…..I listen…..things they say they’re going to do just don’t seem to materialize. Later when I see them again…..I’ll ask them if they got done with whatever it was they told me that they were going to do. Next thing you know I hear more about what problems they had for the next 30 minutes and that’s why nothing ever happened. Those are the folks I shy away from, call me to black and white when it comes to people all you want, but when I hear more about why things didn’t happen than actually happened, I really don’t have to much faith in what they have to say after that.

Now comes something that turns a persons world upside down, famine, war, or whatever. I don’t care who it is, they will tell you what they view as what you want to hear. Now at this point it’s what’s known as “Emotional Manipulation” which I’ve had years of experience with. I cut folks off at the knees real quick, and I can’t be manipulated like that. Folks are looking for the “Trust” in you purely through verbalization which for me just doesn’t happen. People have to earn my trust, it’s never given freely like they want. And just because they haven’t done anything “bad” doesn’t mean they’re deserving of anything from me, that’s just called common courtesy towards your fellow man.

What I’m trying to point out (Like I really need too) is, you can’t let your emotions get in the way of your better judgement, trust me, they’ll win and you’ll loose that game.

Wright Arms 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 130
    • Overall: 138

I have only had 1 or 2 discussions with Grumpa ‘over there’. But I can tell you he and I think quite alike.

If you want or need something, get off your backside and start looking. Try, for cryin’ out loud. And if someone asks you the wrong question, that fellow is already trying harder than 80% of the population. And if the question is intelligent, then the fellow is in the 90% + category.
    I like black snd white. It’s the ‘grey areas’ where all the trouble starts.
    But what do I know?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.