This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 6 months ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 194
    • Overall: 228

Helloeverybody, sitting in a deer stand and pondering about why I can’t get my Mak90 to group good.

Just saw a black bobcat with a stubby tail, anyway i have a set of Brownells crown tools and was thinking about re crowning it with an 11deg cutter. The Mak90 has a chrome plated bore, will this cause any problems?  I don’t want it to chip the chrome inside the barrel.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 134
    • Overall: 151

I had a guy at work retired now do several of his guns and my rifles. He did  two of his aks a sks and my two sks. That question came up about chrome lined barrel. He said he just went slow and it worked. He said all his guns had a improvement. I don’t know if this is the way to do it or not so going to see if anyone chimes in to the proper way . So for at looking at the crown it looks good no chipping and it actually looks like it  really did a good job on cutting

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

He also used the crown tool from Brownells

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Thanks much 🙂 I think that I’ll give it a whirl once I remember where they’re at.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 503
    • Overall: 553
    • Gold

Glenn

What size “groups” is the MAK90 shooting?

What ammo?

Range?

Position?

Larry Gibson

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I’m getting around 4-5″ groups at 75yds off the bench with 2 bags.

Ammo is mostly Tulammo 124gn sp and 154gn sp.

Win 123gn fmj shoots a little tighter.

I have tried hand loads with Barnes 123 Tacx and cfe blk that shoot around 4″

The best I have ever got was back in 96 with Lapua fmj, with 3 into 1.5″ at 100 off the bench with open sights.   Im ordering some from Midway to see if it still works as well.

I have tried a rear sight mount, and have soldered on a side mount also.  With the rear sight mount and 124 Tulammo I got one 10 shot group around 3″. But couldn’t repeat it.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I replaced the trigger hammer group with the ALG AKL kit and then did the 2 stage trigger job on it, so I don’t have to wonder when it’s going to fire.

I may just have to put it away for now and get the new Ruger AR in 450 Bushmaster.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I just used the Brownells crown tool on a 22 two ar’s and a savage 308. The cricket 22 cut  very easy soft steel. The palmetto ar with the chrome molly barrel cut very hard . This barrel seemed the hardest. The stanless palameto ar barrel was the seckond hardest. The savage axis seemed a little softer than the  Stanless. After doing four barrels my hand was wore out. Did it all by hand. All the crownes came out looking really good. If I had to go out to buy this tool I probably would not ,to expensive. But if a had a couple more to do I would defently buy it. It’s the pilots  thst get expensive. I got the set to borrow with the 22 lr 224 and 308 pilots with a few more I can’t use. Now I need a pilot for the 9 mm and 40 S&w  but at 25$ each plus shipping it gets expensive quick. At least the crowns look really good. I also found that one of the chamber reamer company’s also rent the crown cutter for I thank 25$ and the different pilots for 5$. I might rent the few pilots I need to finish my pistols. My high point 9 and two 40’s crown look like crap it deffently can’t hurt.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us