This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jniedbalski 12 months ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 218
    • Overall: 261

Helloeverybody, sitting in a deer stand and pondering about why I can’t get my Mak90 to group good.

Just saw a black bobcat with a stubby tail, anyway i have a set of Brownells crown tools and was thinking about re crowning it with an 11deg cutter. The Mak90 has a chrome plated bore, will this cause any problems?  I don’t want it to chip the chrome inside the barrel.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 196
    • Overall: 219

I had a guy at work retired now do several of his guns and my rifles. He did  two of his aks a sks and my two sks. That question came up about chrome lined barrel. He said he just went slow and it worked. He said all his guns had a improvement. I don’t know if this is the way to do it or not so going to see if anyone chimes in to the proper way . So for at looking at the crown it looks good no chipping and it actually looks like it  really did a good job on cutting

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

He also used the crown tool from Brownells

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Thanks much 🙂 I think that I’ll give it a whirl once I remember where they’re at.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

Glenn

What size “groups” is the MAK90 shooting?

What ammo?

Range?

Position?

Larry Gibson

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I’m getting around 4-5″ groups at 75yds off the bench with 2 bags.

Ammo is mostly Tulammo 124gn sp and 154gn sp.

Win 123gn fmj shoots a little tighter.

I have tried hand loads with Barnes 123 Tacx and cfe blk that shoot around 4″

The best I have ever got was back in 96 with Lapua fmj, with 3 into 1.5″ at 100 off the bench with open sights.   Im ordering some from Midway to see if it still works as well.

I have tried a rear sight mount, and have soldered on a side mount also.  With the rear sight mount and 124 Tulammo I got one 10 shot group around 3″. But couldn’t repeat it.

Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I replaced the trigger hammer group with the ALG AKL kit and then did the 2 stage trigger job on it, so I don’t have to wonder when it’s going to fire.

I may just have to put it away for now and get the new Ruger AR in 450 Bushmaster.

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I just used the Brownells crown tool on a 22 two ar’s and a savage 308. The cricket 22 cut  very easy soft steel. The palmetto ar with the chrome molly barrel cut very hard . This barrel seemed the hardest. The stanless palameto ar barrel was the seckond hardest. The savage axis seemed a little softer than the  Stanless. After doing four barrels my hand was wore out. Did it all by hand. All the crownes came out looking really good. If I had to go out to buy this tool I probably would not ,to expensive. But if a had a couple more to do I would defently buy it. It’s the pilots  thst get expensive. I got the set to borrow with the 22 lr 224 and 308 pilots with a few more I can’t use. Now I need a pilot for the 9 mm and 40 S&w  but at 25$ each plus shipping it gets expensive quick. At least the crowns look really good. I also found that one of the chamber reamer company’s also rent the crown cutter for I thank 25$ and the different pilots for 5$. I might rent the few pilots I need to finish my pistols. My high point 9 and two 40’s crown look like crap it deffently can’t hurt.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.