• Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831
      GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Time was late june, back in the mid 70’s. Dad was on the tractor cultivating soybeans. They were coming along well, a foot high and looking good. I was taking a morning coffee break. I was walking rows, getting the weeds the cultivator did not quite get with especial attention to wild oats.

So I am sitting there on this little 2 tire track farm road 3/4 of a mile long half a mile from anywhere.

When I see a big jackrabbit slow hop his way out of the bean field out to the road.

Stopped at the edge, looked both ways. Saw the truck I was sitting in. Froze for a minute while he gave it a long stare. No movement, coast is clear.

He then stretched, left and right, low in front then high. Then he turned into the track and started his routine. And it obviously was routine for him.

Full tilt headed east, swap ends and go west. Zig and zag, left and right, duck low, jump high he gave that workout everything he had.

Did the whole thing inside of a 100 yard stretch of road that he knew better than you know the back of your hand. Ears cocked for noise, one eye on the sky he ran his heart out.

Flung himself down panting in the shade of a weed for 5 minutes while he cooled off, belly flat to the earth. Then slowly picked himself up, and nibbling bean leaves as he went hopped his way back into the field and disappeared.

I frankly thought my dad would think I was telling him a whopper of a tall tale.

Dad sat there smiling. “How would you describe that one move? Yeah thats what I thought too.”

Dad, you’ve seen this? Yep, 2 weeks ago, same field, same stretch of track, same moves.

Wow, that is mind blowing. He was was Yep dad says, getting ready for the fox, the hawk and anything else that likes rabbit. That is how a rabbit gets old like that one.

Your choice as to how much to believe. But it happened just the way I described it.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Thanks for sharing. That rabbit was staying in shape. More than I can say for myself. Wait, round is a shape!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.