This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  eeyore 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
     eeyore 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 22
    • Overall: 26

I have a couple of Lucas Bore Guides and am in need of another. However I can’t get a return email from lucasmjb@windstream.net so thinking he’s not making them any longer? Really like the insert to guide the rod from the back end, good idea.

1. Is he still making bore guides?

2. Any one have an updated email address for Mike Lucas?

3. Any bore guide out there comparable to Lucas recommended?

Thanks for any tips re: bore guides ya’ll.

Goodsteel: Sent a small token of my appreciation for the good of the order. Well, paypal said it was sent anyhow!

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

With some googling I found this info on another forum:
    Mike Lucas
    803-356-0282
    A post on that forum dated 12-01-2015
    This is the response that I received from Mr. Lucas 13 days ago to an email inquiry that I sent him the day before:
    Sorry do to our heavy work load we are not accepting new orders. Thanks.

I did stumble on this which might be useful:
    https://www.possumhollowproducts.com/BORE_GUIDES.html

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
     eeyore 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Thanks Rattlesnake, for the news.

Since it sounds like Lucas is a no go, surfing turned up a couple other possibilities too.

http://www.neiljones.com/html/guides.html

http://benchrest.com/barrelsaver/

They asks for rod diameter when ordering, maybe it supports the cleaning rod as does Lucas. Will do a little more study.

eeyore 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Ordered one from Neil Jones today. All accounts I could dig up looks like a good unit.

If the rod guide indexes the rod at the back of it and at the throat it seems like it’s doing as much as it can to keep a fella from wearing out a rifle for no good reason. The rest is up to the operator.

If anyone is interested I’ll post some pics when it arrives.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

eeyore;n13937 wrote: Ordered one from Neil Jones today. All accounts I could dig up looks like a good unit.

If the rod guide indexes the rod at the back of it and at the throat it seems like it’s doing as much as it can to keep a fella from wearing out a rifle for no good reason. The rest is up to the operator.

If anyone is interested I’ll post some pics when it arrives.

I’m interested. I’m thinking of ordering one of the Sinclair ones. We can compare notes then.

eeyore 
    Participant
    • Bronze

Ok, sounds good.

eeyore 
    Participant
    • Bronze

On the left is Neil Jones rod guide and on the right is Mike Lucas. Both have inserts in the rear to guide the rod. The inserts are bored to the diameter you provide of your cleaning rod. Jones nose piece is closer fit to the chamber, the o-ring seals at the rear. The Lucas nose piece is undersized and relies on the o-ring in the chamber for a tight fit. Either solution gives a no wiggle mounting.

One minor point is since the Jones is not a constant diameter the extractor needs to be depressed with a finger nail on my Ruger to get the front part of the guide passed it when it’s time to take it out.

I haven’t used it yet to clean, just opened the box and stuffed it in the rifle to check it out. Delrin, stainless steel tubing and the aluminium collar for the rear of the receiver. Would I buy another? You bet, well made little unit.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.