Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

By far the best book I’ve ever found on the buffalo trade is Getting a Stand by Miles Gilbert, ISBN 1-877704-14-8, Library of Congress Catalog Card 86-091351. It is someone interviewing firsthand original buffalo hunters. I came into this book by accident when Bullshop was selling out and moving out of Alaska. I bought a box of books and this one was in it. It is not only easy reading, but the info is from the original sources. I recommend this book.

BTW, I am into the buffalo trade and western cattle drives as they came through where I grew up in western Kansas. I still remember buffalo wallows in the pastures, they are now gone. I went to an old gent’s house to find a wooden grainery full of buffalo horns from the original kills. Sadly, they were badly weathered and not much good for anything but historical display. I visited original sod houses and explored the ruins of settlers dugouts. I’ve picked up arrow head and bullets from buffalo rifles. My dad had a much better eye for spotting such, including sharks teeth. I’ve camped in my tipi on the Arkansas at the location of the Cimarron Cutoff of the Santa Fe Trail on New Years Eve. To say that I have a hunger for that era of history is an understatement.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.