Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 137
      • Overall: 166

I have a Bond Arms 45acp that is quite the “handful” with my self defense load. I’m looking for real light load with a 230 grn cast round nose bullet. I prefer to use Unique or 231 as I have lots of it. I also have a ton of 700X. This load will only punch paper and maybe dispatch the occasional toothy critter on the boat. The barrel is 2.5″. I’m thinking of starting with 3.5 or 4 grns of Unique.  Thoughts?

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I mostly shoot Red Dot myself. I would start low with one or two loads.  3 to 3.5 grains, go below that and you start getting into sticking bullets country.

Verify clean bore with each shot just to be safe.

If part of the problem is recoil, you will find going to a lighter bullet should help significantly.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I do have some lighter bullets I’m going to try also.  Hopefully I’ll get some range time this weekend.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I don’t have a volume of 45 ACP basics nor a base as light as that . 5.5 Unique under everything from a 45-200 to a 265g 452-255 RNFP and 454424 shoots great and sedate in my stuff .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

If it were me, I’d buy some of those 185 grain copper plated bullets from Berrys bullets and load them with starting loads of bullseye, H Clays, etc etc etc. FAST powers and light bullets. That the way to get the most bang for your buck from a deringer.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

It seems the “light and fast’ concept in the .45 ACP has arrived at the conclusion as the same concept as the “light and fast” in .380 ACP. Same for .44 Special. I believe the best you can come up with these low velocity and low pressure rounds is a standard weight bullet with a blunt nose profile. For the .44 Special (and .38 S&W Special and NOT Special), a full bore wadcutter is the answer.

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I agree with Goodsteel.  I shoot mine in a SA 1911, recoil is really not much of a problem. Under 4 grains of Red Dot with a 230 gr .452 cast got me sooty cases.

Anything over 4 cures that and is still fairly soft shooting.

3.5 gr of Titewad was so close to being the same I could feel no difference.

timspawn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Recoil is not a problem for me with a 1911. This little Bond Arms is a different story. I shot some 230 RN cast yesterday over 3 and 3.5 grns of Unique. The 3 grain load is nice and mild and will suit my needs.

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

You didn’t happen to chronograph those loads did you?  Quickload suggests 373fps with a max pressure of 4445psi, and muzzle pressure of 2186psi.  So it should be fairly quiet.

I have a couple of the FMJ Derringers in 45Colt / 410 and they can be a little on the rude side when shooting 45colts or 410   🙂

timspawn
        Participant
        • Silver
        • ★★

No I didn’t. I don’t own a chronograph. They made a nice smack into the sand bank across the ditch.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.