This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  uber7mm 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
     uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 284
    • Overall: 299

I noticed that one of my wheel weight ingot has blue spots on the face.  I would think that it’s a trace element.  Does anyone have any information on this subject?   Please advise.

Thank you in advise,

Uber

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 657
    • Overall: 795

Can you scrape it off? Sure looks like bullet lube. Did you keep the melt at temperature very long? If you were melting reclaimed bullets from a range berm, and poured the ingot almost as soon as the pot seemed melted, it could have made the transition without burning off.

reloader762 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 78
    • Overall: 93

It’s possible that could be oxide dross that formed on your melt if it were overheated during the ingot making process, as long as your melt is overheating it will keep forming no matter how many time you flux an try to skim it off.  When remelting the ingots keep the temperature lower and you should be able to flux it back into your melt.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2438
    • Overall: 2642

No clue. Never seen this. You didn’t have blue paint in your mold did you? LOL!

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 284
    • Overall: 299

It looks like blue chalk from a chalk line, but no, I have no idea either.  I was hoping someone has seen this from a type of lead used in the past.   I doubt it’ll hurt my process or end result.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us by clicking the button below.

Contact Us