This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  timspawn 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
     Glenn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 219
    • Overall: 262

Hello, does anybody use a special flashlight for blood trailing?

I bought a couple on Amazon and they turned out to be just regular flashlights.

Does anybody have a favorite that actually works?

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

I one with a blue lens was supposed to be able to easily see blood. Alas, the cheap thing died before I could try it out. I did see the blue lens cap the other day. I’ll see if I can find it again, and see if it does indeed work as advertised.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

I’ve never had a light filter that could beat my own two eyes, and I’ve tried a few of them. When I’m trailing a deer, there’s more to it than just blood, and having a filter on the light eliminates some of the other tells. When I’m trailing a deer the rule is: Light, Light, and More light. I’d go with a million candle power spotlight if I could.

Fortunately, I haven’t had to track a deer into the dark in about 7 years (although I came dam close a couple years ago).  Most of them drop within eyeshot of where lead met hide. I also started hunting with cast bullets exclusively about 7 years ago.

Coincidence? I think not.

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

I keep hearing that the old fashioned Coleman gas lantern, is the way to go. the one that burns coleman fuel.

I hear that it’s light spectrum allows blood to highlight, something about it doesnt emit infrared light, or so they say.

timspawn 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 137
    • Overall: 166

The specialty one I used was about 17 years ago. It was made by Primos if I remember correctly. I couldn’t tell that it worked any better that a regular light. I use Surefire lights and love them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.