This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Artful 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
     Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 428
    • Overall: 615

So what every day blades are you NOT walking away without taking with you?
    Swiss Army Knife? Mora? Kershaw Assisted openning blade, Gerber Battle Blade

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 77
    • Overall: 87

You mean like the pocket knife I carry, or just knives we have handy and use for the tough stuff?

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 797
    • Overall: 868

My run gear has a selection of working knive. But the 340UH in my pocket is a certainty. There is a Kershaw assistance open in my daily driver with a 50/50 blade and 1 of those 45* points.and a leatherman.
    I keep a variant of a “muskrat” or trapper inat hand and a host of single or 2 blade drop or clip point folders of 4″ or so in on and around,most shade of long ago. There are knockoff band aid leatherman /Gerber tools in each truck also. The hook and run rig has a full kitchen and butcher shop circa 1925 stocked in old hickory and other odds and ends of assorted carbon steel. The go box with the perishable supplies has an 8″Buck in it ,I don’t recall the model.. I guess it just depends on how quick we gotta bail or shutter up as to what tools are on hand.

Smoke4320 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 140
    • Overall: 151

one pocket has a Swiss Army over pocket is a 8″ byrd 1/2 serrated folder .. those 2 can do almost anything I need

Harter 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 797
    • Overall: 868

I forgot about about the pack it on your way out Soligen 4x8x3/16 3lb cleaver not only is it handy for slashing ribs off the spine and slicing tomatoes.

DeadWoodDan 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 80
    • Overall: 91

Definitely the Lakota! Once you handle any craftsman blade its hard to go back. But the cheap Gerber i carry everyday does what its suppose too.

seaboltm 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 64
    • Overall: 72

USMC K-Bar is very hard to beat

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 123
    • Overall: 134

The one thing that I have in my pocket every day whether I’m at work or home is a yellow handle 2 bladed Case Trapper. As soon as I put my pants on the knife goes in my front right pocket and a 4″ Crescent wrench goes in my back pocket. I won’t leave the house with out it.

If I’m going out which is very rare, I usually carry a Gerber EVO in one of my back pockets an a Benchmade switch blade stuck down the back of my pants.

In a shtf situation it would be those 3 and either one of my Buck Nighthawks, I have both the Tanto and clip point. They are pretty much indestructible.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Dick;n5221 wrote: You mean like the pocket knife I carry, or just knives we have handy and use for the tough stuff?

List what you want – for example my list
    daily carry for me is
    Swiss Army Knife – mine is a mechanic’s model with good phillip’s blade and small pliers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xkNgF30rs
    or
    Kershaw Assisted openning blade that my wife give me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XXccHDw99c
    with the Leatherman Micra as companion

Mora HD is a fixed blade bushcraft type you can wear on a belt or hang from you neck
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL0ZxvD32q8
    I will put it on if spending a day in the woods.

Gerber Battle Blade – wish mine was in nice of shape
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgUknnIErPM
    My blade is still mostly pretty but the sheath is showing mileage

I’m thinking about picking up a chopping blade like the Ontario combat survival kukri
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INsr2eaRqPY
    my latin style is machete is good for weeds not wood really.

dverna 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 81
    • Overall: 86

I always carry a Kershaw assisted opening.

I live in northern Michigan at my BOL so I am not planning on going very far if someone attacks me. My BOB has a a Marbles knife that is heavier duty but the bag is really light because I am old and I do not need four ways to light a fire, six knives, or barter goods etc. It has a lot more ammo in it than would be prudent if I had to really bug out and not return….but I have decided my best option is to come back and retake my home. If the SHTF, I will set up some caches within a mile radius. My closest neighbor is almost a mile away so waiting to set up caches makes sense as I am not too concerned about OP SEC.

Dick 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 77
    • Overall: 87

In my pocket at all times is a benchmade folder. That’s really about it. If I had time then I’d add my USA made Cold Steel Recon Tanto and my Ka-Bar.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Ka-Bar’s are good I have one that got edged out (see the pun?) by the Gerber

Anonymous
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Overall: 129

I have been carrying a Swiss Army Knife Tinker model for over 20 years. Like some others have said if I have my pants on I have my knife. That is about the extent of my knife collection.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

The best knife to use is the one you have with you. My brother gave me a Spyderco linerlock folder a couple years ago, and I really have fallen in love with it. It’s a straight edge and I discovered this last year that it has an excellent blade shape for skinning deer with. I skinned 8 deer last year: 6 of my own, one for a buddy in camp, and one that Sarge shot with his bright red Challenger hollow point. LOL!
    It’s what’s in my pocket always. I also carry a small Victornox with 4 implements. That pretty much covers me, but I also have 3 Gerber multi-tools that come in real handy in a pinch.

BTW, I’ll tell you a little trick that I have used on numerous occasions:
    To sharpen your knife when you forgot to bring your stones, use the edge of your drivers side window like a ceramic rod. Your eyeballs will pop out when you see what a keen edge you can dress on a blade using that technique, and there’s probably always going to be a vehicle close by when you need a sharp knife.
    A keen mind is sharper than a keen edge.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

The one I’ve been carrying with me lately is a Swiss Army Victorinox that I bought used at the local veteran’s thrift store. I paid all of $3 dollars for it. The red handles are a bit beat up by a previous owner. It’s got a saw blade and scissors, as well as all of the other tools. I think the can opener blades on these puppies are superb, particularly when I can’t find the kitchen’s. Same goes for the cork screw and tweezers, they’re always with me. I’ve got lots of pocket knives, but this one has become my favorite.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

I think I have half a dozen multi-tool knives at least 4 are Victorinox – I always wondered why I couldn’t get a saw blade and pliers without a bunch of stuff I didn’t want but I could get scissors and sawblade?

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

This is the first Swiss knife I’ve owned with a saw blade. At 2 5/8 inches there won’t be many trees falling. I’ve used it once since I’ve had the knife.

The scissors are a bit more useful on the personal hygiene in the field; finger nails for example.
    (Don’t borrow or share the Swiss knife, yuck).

I’ve often thought that the Swiss should construct a knife in modules so that a customer could mix and match the tools he prefers.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Now that would be interesting – sort of the AR15 of knifes – mix and match – even better if you could come up with a leatherman tool like that.

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Mix & Match concept wouldn’t be that hard to design and implement. One tool I’d add is one found the Leatherman style: A magnetic 1/4" socket for screw driver bits and Allen hexes. The sky’s the limit.

VANN 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Overall: 134

Best multi tool I ever bought was a Leatherman Crunch, I don’t know why they quit making them.

Artful 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Like this ?
    http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cybertool

The Victorinox Cybertool is a more recent 91mm Swiss Army Knife first introduced in the year 2000. The unique feature of the Cybertool is the Bit Driver with replaceable bits. Many of the bits are designed for screw types and sizes commonly found in electronic and computer equipment, making this knife especially useful for people who regularly work with this type of equipment. The knife comes with 4 interchangeable bits, each with two heads. When closed, one bit is stored in the wrench itself while the other three are housed in a special ‘rack’ that fits below the driver. The ‘rack’ has a small protrusion on the end that prevents the bit in the driver from falling out when closed. All models have Plus Scales, that include a removable pen. There are 4 models of the Cybertool.The base model contains 34 different tools and is known as the Cybertool 34. This model is described immediately below, followed by the differences between the other models, the Cybertool 29, Cybertool 41, and Cybertool Lite, in the variations section].
    Layer Tools

Back Layer Tools

Scale Tools

Scales

The Cybertool models have Translucent Cellidor scales often in Red (Ruby). The CT-29, CT-34, and CT-41 are also available with Translucent Blue (Sapphire) scales. The CT-29 and CT-34 are available with Translucent Onyx scales.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.