Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 39
      • Overall: 50

For some reason people keep giving me 38 Special/357 Mag bullets of all different kinds since I am apparently the only one they know that reloads. Over the years I have gained thousands of them, most in original plastic unopened boxes. I have 10 boxes of 100 each 148 grain Speer hollow base bullets. All wrapped in plastic in the original 5-box packs. So, rather than just try to use them up in a 38/200 top break WWII English revolver which takes a nominal 0.363″ bullet as opposed to all of these I have in 0.357″, or shooting them in my 356 Winchester rifle, I have come to the conclusion that I “need” a 38 Special revolver. Would anyone or all of you like to suggest a good target revolver in 38 Special with a longer barrel for easy to shoot target shooting? I have thought about one of the old S&W Police revolvers with a 5″ or 6″ barrel. Or something else with an even longer barrel. I am used to using a Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag with a 7.5″ barrel for deer hunting.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

The best answer would be to snag a 357 RedHawk . πŸ™‚
      The K38 is about as good as it gets . I shot and carried an M&P Model 10 for a brief stent . It was a good gun . I shot a just barely Model 10 (vs a Victory model) for a while . Those are nice also with the “pencil” barrel . I’ve much enjoyed a Ruger Security 6 also .

I had a Taurus 66 which is a clone of the S&W in 357 which didn’t shoot 357 for beans but would shoot 38s very very well.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

I have been using a S&W Model 28 with 6 inch barrel, and no red or white sights. just the standard black
      What fun, what fun and very little recoil or muzzle lift

http://www.gunbroker.com/Revolvers/BI.aspx?Keywords=S%26W+28*&NoReserve=1&bl=200004

Mike

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I’ve got S&W J, K and N frame 38/357 revolvers. If I could only have one, it would be a Model 19 K frame, but my 3″ J Frame Model 60 would be a close second.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I also have the Smith J, K, and L frames,
      My son traded for a Ruger GP100 6″ that I am very impressed with
      It has the front lockup like a Redhawk,and is a very accurate revolver.
      Heavy build too.

Capt45
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 14
      • Overall: 17

Simply love my SP101; accurate and attractive at the same time.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…

I’ve written down all of your recommendations and will hit the local gun stores and pawn shops to see what I can find. I have an old S&W WWII military revolver in 45 ACP that always impressed me and has shot very well over the years. And of course the Ruger I use for deer hunting seems to be a good buy also. See what I can find used for a good price first. I checked yesterday at one gun shop and they are all out of quality, used 38 Specials except for a Taurus that really didn’t look very good brand new with only a 5 shot cylinder. But it looked like the design was for lightweight carry use. But I don’t need no carry gun here on the farm. And I don’t shop in the city at places that sell Levi Strauss city pants. I buy my Wrangler’s and Carhartt’s at the farm supply store.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Don,

There’s another option for you….

You can load lead 38/357 bullets in a 9mm. Just size them down a bit.

I hope this helps.

skeettx
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 197
      • Overall: 213

Or …..
      Spend a little more money and do this

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603265890

jwt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 20

I really like my S&W Model 10. I have also been very impressed by the Ruger GP100

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…

skeettx;n12048 wrote: Or …..
      Spend a little more money and do this

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/603265890

Wow! Add the word “Rare” on the description and it suddenly brings the value up to “made of gold!” I was just looking for a used, local gun that was still in reasonable shape to plink with. If I wanted another Ruger Redhawk it would have to be in a more major caliber for deer hunting.

mountain4don
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…

jwt;n12054 wrote: I really like my S&W Model 10. I have also been very impressed by the Ruger GP100

I looked at a S&W Model 10-5 chambered in 38 Special at a pawn shop today. The finish was a little blochy, but not too bad. And there was no wear on the action. Looked like a new gun that had been stored in a basement vault or something. They wanted $360 for it. The action and trigger was very smooth and tight. Is that too high of a price for a slightly discolored finish?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Smith & Wesson K38 Target Masterpiece.

Colt officers model Match 38

Korth Target with 38 special cylinder and barrel. (Spoken of in hushed and reverent tones).

The cheaper alternative that I would personally recommend is a Smith and Wesson model 19.
      Its a 357 Magnum, but oh my word I did some damage to a few egos with that wheel gun, and it was all with 38 special ammo shooting cast bullets.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 28
      • Overall: 37

Nothing special about my S&W 10-8, 4″ heavy barrel, except it hits everything I shoot at.
      At 100′ I can hit 6″ round gongs with my hand loads; 124 gr 9mm cast with 3.7gr 700x… Off hand.
      I might miss one out of 6 but I figure it’s me more than the gun or the ammo.

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

^^^^ Carried one of those for work for a number of years ^^^^^^
      Reliable and accurate will own one of the ones I used to carry soon when they get done converting the Dept
      Talked to a buddy I used to work with that is now the armor he suppose to let me know when they go up for sale
      Tony

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

Once upon a time, I had a Colt 3rd generation SAA in .357 mag.
      I also owned two pythons. A six inch blue and an eight inch nickel.

They were all nice guns, but since I was a gun trader , I traded them off for an old Winchester or something I wanted more at the time.
      I couldn’t own them all at one time, but I owned and shot quiet a few in my day.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

European American Armoury imports a line of German revolvers( Windicator ) that are budget priced but seem like a solid gun that shoots pretty good.
      MSRP is $342 for a 4″ 38spl. There is one new on Gunbroker for $300. They come in 38 and 357.
      http://eaacorp.com/index.php/guns/windicator-weihrauch-112

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/602928747

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • β˜…β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Colt Diamondback
      Colt Python
      S&W model 27, 28, 586, 686, 14, 15, 19
      Dan Wesson 14, 15 ( hint though look for some of the High Standard Sentinel mk II & III they are actually made by Dan Wesson)

However for that true Target configuration in bullseye (or PPC) I would get a S&W Model 10 or 64 rebarrel with a custom barrel put on a rib sight on and go for broke.

Naturally a colt officers model could be done but at a greater expense. (http://clarkcustomguns.com/parts-category/revolver/)

It really all boils down to your preferance

jwt
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 18
      • Overall: 20

mountain4don;n12057 wrote:

I looked at a S&W Model 10-5 chambered in 38 Special at a pawn shop today. The finish was a little blochy, but not too bad. And there was no wear on the action. Looked like a new gun that had been stored in a basement vault or something. They wanted $360 for it. The action and trigger was very smooth and tight. Is that too high of a price for a slightly discolored finish?

That seems a bit high to me.

Wheel Gun
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 43
      • Overall: 45

Just an opinion but if you looking for a economical 38/357 and your mostly going to shoot 38s with a sprinkle of 357 its pretty hard to beat a model 19 or a 66 depending on what comes in first at your local LGS. I shoot a old model 66 as my go target gun a pretty hefty amount and it is a remarkable piece of equipment.
      If you inclined to think your going to want a steady diet of 357 then I’d recommend stepping up to a 686.
      If your a single action guy you may want to consider a Ruger Blackhawk, that with a set of wolff springs won’t let you down. it is incredibly accurate and very rugged.
      WG

gwpercle
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 36
      • Overall: 38

A model 64 S&W , 38 special , police trade in , fixed sighted , heavy 4 inch barrel , is my most accurate and most shot firearm. I mounted a red dot sight on it because my eye’s were getting old and it also solved the fixed sight issue.
      An adjustable sighted , K frame chambered in 38 special, is very nice . You don’t give up much with a K frame in 357 magnum , but to me the 38 special chambered guns are just a tad more accurate.
      Get one of the older guns , the newer EDM rifled barrels are prone to leading. This can be fixed with some lapping if necessary.
      Gary

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • β˜…β˜…
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

I picked up a 1966 vintage Colt Official Police in 38 Special. Once I found the load it liked, she hits where she’s pointed every time. Think I paid about $350 for it a couple years ago.

Smithbrosarchery
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • β˜…
      • Comments: 15
      • Overall: 16

4″ S&W police trade in….shoot it for awhile.Then if you really “like” the wheelgun experience .Fit an aftermarket brrl,sights du jour,and some action work.This coming from a certifiable Colt wheelman.There are reasons to go with a Colt,but money and parts “start” to get in the way.Older Smith revolvers are almost brainless in their care and feeding.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Β© 2017Β Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.