Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 224
      • Overall: 245

I’ve got a problem with one of my BFR revolvers. It’s a 500JRH with 5.25″ octagon barrel. Anyway I was trying to take it apart for cleaning and couldn’t get the base pin to slide out easily. It seemed to rotate freely until I moved it about .1″ out of the frame, then the base pin would get stuck in the cylinder.
      I used a hardwood dowel and a small hammer to massage it out and took this picture.

It looks like the recoil of this little monster has beaten on it pretty hard.
      I’ve contacted Magnum Research, but have not heard back from them yet.

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Here’s some pics of the gun.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I don’t know why you keep messing with these wimpy little cartridges Glenn. LOL!
      Awesome revovler! I believe I got to shoot that one once at your place.
      Do keep us apprised of progress.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

While related and not……
      I’ve had that same experience with BP revolvers . The worst offender bends at the front end more visibly than the recoil shield end . The brass 44 cal 1858 is the trouble maker . I suspect many things in its case that shouldn’t be even a corner whisper in the BFR class .

I suspect it is more common than we think , the upper limits of a design tend to show up every weakness or source of it . Hopefully you just got a sub par base pin.

Watching with expectation.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Hopefully you just got a sub par base pin.

You need to shoot with Glenn sometime. He might need a replacement made of tool steel to withstand the forces exerted on it!

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

That is a structural failure that will indeed require a factory refit. The plunge pin/spring is held in place via a compression ring in the weakest portion of the basepin in that it’s hollow there for acceptance of the pin and ring assembly. The spring operated plunge pin is common to revolvers utilizing transfer bars in the lockwork.

I have repaired a couple transfer bar equipped revolvers where due to excessive recoil, the ring (looks like a hollow plug or rounded cork in a bottle for easy visualization ) becomes dislodged and allowed to twist or shift in the rearmost area of the frame. There, it becomes battered by the hammer’s impact jamming the basepin further into the frame.

Granted, most cases would require a simple “remove & replace” of the basepin, But due to the specialty of this firearm, a factory refit is in order, and naturally the gunsmith at the factory would also be able to catalogue this failure for product evaluation.

Good Luck,
      Wade

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

Have you thought about using one from Belt Mountain?

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yes, the thought crossed my mind but, the base pin does not have enough room to come all the way out.
      I’ve heard that the ejector rod housing is epoxied in place. I can’t get mine to budge. So maybe I’ll just let the factory handle it on this one.
      It would be cheaper to get one instead of paying the $78ish in shipping to send it back 🙁

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

lar45;n10610 wrote: Yes, the thought crossed my mind but, the base pin does not have enough room to come all the way out.
      I’ve heard that the ejector rod housing is epoxied in place. I can’t get mine to budge. So maybe I’ll just let the factory handle it on this one.
      It would be cheaper to get one instead of paying the $78ish in shipping to send it back 🙁

So I’m guessing from this post that you called the manufacturer and they did not offer to send you a shipping label?

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Nope. Just an RMA#

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

lar45;n10610 wrote: Yes, the thought crossed my mind but, the base pin does not have enough room to come all the way out.

How much does it lack to come out? From the picture, it looks like you could trim a new one back enough so it could be removed. You would lose a little real estate for gripping it with your fingers to pull it out, but that’s the only drawback I see unless I’m missing something. I would also be concerned about this happening to a replacement, and would like the peace of mind of knowing I could remove the pin and replace it (and also for cleaning).

I don’t have a BFR, but have a Ruger close at hand and the only purpose I see for the plunger is to hold back the transfer bar so it doesn’t jam into the side of the firing pin upon cocking. It seems that a slight chamfer on the transfer bar (and/or firing pin) would prevent this and allow the use of a solid pin which would be several times stronger. Am I missing something?

It’s disappointing that this would happen, and that they would charge so much for shipping. I guess they figure if you can afford their products, $78 is a pittance for shipping…

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze

I have a 3 1/2 in bbl colt. To get the base pin out, I move in and turn the ejector just a smidge, and the pin will slide under the ejector push thingy.

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze

fyi, thingy is a correct term for gun parts……..

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

doc1876;n10695 wrote: fyi, thingy is a correct term for gun parts……..

Yes, but not to be confused with “doohickey” or “thingamajigger”…

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Well, Fedex just came and delivered my 500 JRH 🙂
      All the paperwork said was replaced cylinder base pin… no charge.
      Hurray, now time to take it hunting.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Good for you Glenn!!!

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

JPHolla;n10702 wrote:

Yes, but not to be confused with “doohickey” or “thingamajigger”…

“doohickey” should not be used for firearms! LOL Google this….KLR doohickey…. The boys on the Kawasaki forums have that term patented I think!

Glad you got your BFR fixed! Hoping my 45-70 with the 10″ barrel doesn’t have this problem!

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I have run my 10″ 45-70 BFR pretty hard(405s @ 1750) and never had a problem with it.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I don’t even shoot my levergun SS that fast. What a palm burner!!!!

Paul G
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 19
      • Overall: 20

That’s a dam fine looking wheel gun.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve shot it. Believe me, it ain’t just a pretty face!

lar45
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Paul G;n11139 wrote: That’s a dam fine looking wheel gun.

Why thank you. I really enjoy shooting it.
      It started life as a 50AE, but I sent it back to have a 500JRH cylinder made for it and had the octagon barrel put on at the same time. The grips are from Magnum Research, they were a pretty close fit and only needed a little tweaking.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.