Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Posts
    • #28516
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Posts: 208
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

      Just wanted to drop you guys a line, and give you a tip on bedding compound (specifically Devcon 10-110 which is all I use and recommend).

      Throughout the winter months, I’ve been bedding rifles and I’ve pretty much got it figured that I have a 3 hour window to use the stuff once I whip it up. That’s about how long it takes for it to start getting too thick to flow into every crevice of the rifle. I do a dry build, make sure all the parts are prepped, then whip up my bedding and start to methodically put the parts together, gently wiping the excess as I go. Once dry, I crack everything apart, and dress the edges of the bedding. Voila! Simplicity, perfection, and good feelings all the way around.

      Well let me tell you! Summer is here and she doesn’t like folks like me taking our sweet time to make everything perfect. She says “Enough of that fussing around! It’s a rifle not a Picasso! You’ve got 30 minutes. Like it or lump it.”

      Yep that’s right. 30 minutes. I wasted a rifle’s worth of bedding compound and I only got the bottom metal bedded on this Mauser. Lesson learned.
      Maybe the new shop will be cooler in the summer, but right now, this is reality.

      Take care fellers, and get that stuff put together fast!!!!

    • #28538
      Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Posts: 40
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

      I used to use, prefer and wish I could still get the original Micro Bed. It might have been no better or worse than anything else out there but I liked it’s convince and the color worked out well with most American Walnuts.
      I don’t know what happened but when they were bought out by brand x the formulation had to have been changed, it was almost like it had sugar or something in it, it was useless and I threw out the one set I had.
      Number one son came up with some NOS that he had found somewhere but like most two part epoxies, with age it was getting stiff and hard to push out of the tubes. Remembering something I had read in the past, I put the two tubes in a small coffee can of boiling water and only in a couple of minutes is was just as soft and workable as new. The boiling didn’t seem to affect the finished product in the least. Set up and working time seemed to be as normal.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.