Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

I’ve read that one should never cut up auto batteries to salvage the lead for casting. The acid makes them unusable. How about the lead terminals?
      I’ve got a few auto battery terminals sitting in a solution of baking soda now for about three months. They’re clean enough to put back under the hood. Any advise? I don’t want to contaminate my pot if it’s a bad idea.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

I would think they are fine. They are not part of the chemical reaction process internal to the battery. I have used them.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I agree, and have done the same. I’m not sure it is worth the effort though.

blackthorn
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 17
      • Overall: 17

Battery posts are fine. The problem with trying to reclaim lead from the battery itself is the Cadmium (VERY BAD for you [as in terminal]) and the Calcium they contain. Might be some other unwanted stuff in them as well.

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Thanks gents,

Lead is getting harder to find these days. Hate to throw out any.

seaboltm
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 64
      • Overall: 72

There is no calcium nor cadmium in a automotive lead acid battery. Sulfuric acid H2SO4 and lead Pb. The problem is the reaction creates lead sulfate, PbSO4, which is clearly not lead. Plus heating sulfuric acid will turn it into a gas in a hurry. Breathing sulfuric acid fumes is not compatible with life.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.