Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 129

I was recently made an offer I can’t refuse. I was told to pick out any gun that I want. The only gun I am interested in adding to my collection at the moment is an AR 15. So now I must decide which one I want.

Any advice on things to look for, features I will want, barrel types, optics, etc. would be appreciated. This will be just something to play with, hopefully not go to war with.

The budget is not unlimited but I don’t mind paying for quality if it is worth it.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Just speaking for myself, (I’m no expert on the subject of AR-15s)
      I would get a Sig Sauer flat top M400 Classic and drop an EOTech on there and a Vortex flash hider. Buddy of mine bought two of them and I’ve had a chance to play with them both (built one into a 300BLK for him).
      Sub MOA, well built. I like it better than any that I have tried as an out of the box shooter.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yes the Smith Vortex. I have one on my M1A and I think it’s the best flashhider on the market. It does what a flashhider is supposed to do.

I never saw the logic of putting a compensator on an AR-15. It’s already one of the lightest kicking rifles in history, and the inline stock naturally reduces muzzle rise.
      I shot an AR once that had a super bad to the bone muzzle break on it. The guy who owned it said he thinks he’s ALMOST got all the muzzle rise out of it. Hell I shot it and the muzzle jumped DOWN instead of up! I’m thinking the muzzle rise this pip squeak was dealing with was in his arm, not in the rifle. LOL!

In my humble, totally biassed, and not so humbly given, opinion, (abreviated IMHTBNSHGO) the best doo-dad you can screw on the front of an AR is a suppressor. It just covers a multitude of sins.
      1. The flash is hidden
      2. Recoil is reduced
      3. You’ve got a short enough rifle, it’s no big deal to add 5″ to it.
      4. It’s Kewl?
      5. You shut that noisy mother up!!!!

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

It really comes to what you want from the rifle . Any of the name Brand receivers are best . While mostly standard forward assist is a good feature . Sights are anything you want from a ladder peep to high power optics . AR 15 s are the ultimate tinker toy .
      AR Preformance ,Iron Works Tactical are rumored to be among the best drop in barrels . Choose a barrel suited to your cartridge in both twist an lengthwhen you dig in you will find nearly every caliber available in a half a dozen cases .
      Some will be out of the box genius and some will need some run in time . The most common new build suggestions I read are “Cycle the bolt oiled 100 wash it out go shoot “.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Tinker Toy my eye – it’s Barbie for Men

But you do have to decide what the mission it’s being built for is…
      While I agree a suppressor for me is the ultimate muzzle device, not everyone one wants to go there.

EOTech or other solely battery dependent sights – not so much in my mind – I have a bunch of sights as my vision ages the irons are not what they once were for me. Lower power Variable scope with illuminated aiming point, Aimpoint Chevron, or this new one I stumbled upon
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqv7Ojt9yjs
      which you can get with a tritium capsule so it works in the dark

or this one which is solar powered and you just leave it on.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH9KOYLmQBQ

Nice thing about flattop uppers is you just swap out sights to what you want
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YmIioKk9_E

Problem is you then save up enough to get two sights – then you buy another upper for the second sight
      so just two pins and you change from one configuration to another – then it’s only a small amount until
      you have enough for another lower and you have two AR’s 😉

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Either of those sights look pretty good. I really like the idea of the See All sight, no batteries.

Have any of you tried this sight from Burris? It may be too much crap on my AR but it would cover close range as well as long range.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Burris Fullfield TAC30 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1-4x 24mm 1/2 MOA Adj Illuminated Ballistic CQ Reticle Matte with Attached Fastfire III Red Dot Sight and AR-P.E.P.R. 1-Piece Extended Scope Mount Matte

Not that one – no – Did try a low powered variable with illuminated dot in middle of crosshair that on 1 power you could use the dot like the fastfire.
      it worked OK but not as good as dedicated Trijicon Chevron sight for me.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Vortex Optics Strike Eagle Rifle Scope 30mm 1-6x24mm .5 MOA Adjustment Illuminated AR-BDC Reticle

This seems like a good option also. My old eyes need a little magnification at longer ranges.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/173684/vortex-optics-strike-eagle-rifle-scope-30mm-1-6x24mm-5-moa-adjustment-illuminated-ar-bdc-reticle

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

What do you think about this kit?

Looks like it might be a pretty good deal. Stainless barrel, mid length gas system, full auto bcg, forged upper. Just need to add a lower and I would be all set.

Or I like this one too.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I am a dealer for SeeAll open sights. If any of you gents need one, I am the guy to talk to.
      Sgt Mike has fully tested one for MBT on numerous firearms and has had nothing but positive things to say about them.
      I do endorse them as an excellent no-batteries sight option. They are tough as nails, and they work exactly as advertised.

https://seeallopensight.com/

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Check out the SeeAll video @ 7:13.
      quite possibly the best feature of the SeeAll open sight.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Have you tried the Tritium version out Tim?

Amiaji, I’d probably go with the Keymod Rail one – pricing is good – 1:7 twist will take the longest J-word bullets.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I have not, but I wouldn’t hesitate!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Is the 1:7 twist rate too fast? Is that maybe why they have it on sale?

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

So where do you get the dovetail mount system for the SeeAll? You have to specify mount system desired? I’d like to try for my XDm 40 & MkIII

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That’s the current twist rate for all new Military barrels – they changed to it after discovering that the longer bullets they are now using wouldn’t stabilize – I have a friend using the 77 grain’ers in his with good accuracy. If I wanted a slower twist to shoot cast with I’d find an old pencil barrel with 1:12 twist, being aware you can only shoot lighter/Shorter projectiles.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

You may want to consider rail options
      http://xdman.com/site-profile-pages/2013/6/24/sight-mount-gunsights-llc

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/355945/majestic-arms-picatinny-rail-ruger-mark-i-ii-iii-22-45-aluminum-black

It appears from their website they have three different bodies
      Original open site – railed slip on for $98.95

or

Pistol See All NITE – replacing rear sight $179.95 (Tritium)

that attaches thru replacing the existing rear dove tailed rear sight.

or

Rail See All NITE quick attach $199.95 (Tritium)

Once you choose between those two – you can choose the Delta (triangle)

or Crosshair (sticks)

You can also get either with or without Tritium illumination for shooting in a Dark environment.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Wow…could fix or at least make better my seeing the sights problem.Any way of attaching to a revolver?

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

I guess you have to get the dovetail part from the gun manufacturer. Pistol sight is ~#200, nite tritium lite I don’t need. It lasts ~12 yrs? My MKIII has a rail but like my shotguns, small width one. Same with the marlin 60. Add ~$50 for mods. shucks. Weight is good, 1 1/2 oz but add an extra rail, maybe 2 oz? Nice for us seeing impared pistol folks. Guess I’ll wait to see what they come up with for mount mods.

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 35
      • Overall: 39

Amiaji;n6406 wrote: What do you think about this kit?

Looks like it might be a pretty good deal. Stainless barrel, mid length gas system, full auto bcg, forged upper. Just need to add a lower and I would be all set.

Or I like this one too.

I was going to suggest building your own and I see that you have already been thinking that way. I bought my first two AR’s and built the third one. I really enjoyed it although I didn’t build the upper, and I think it is a much better gun than either of the first two, including the expensive one. I am currently working on a PSA PA-10 build and I have a couple of ar15 receivers in the wings waiting for the right deal to come up on their site. I was never an AR enthusiast but am fast becoming one. Biggest downside to me is the absolutely horrible standard triggers that come with them. The PSA enhanced trigger group and lighter springs help make them serviceable.

The Magpul stocks are much better than the “freedom” plastic stocks. The free-float rails are nice, but cold in the winter if you are hunting with them.

The 1:7 twist is the most common and should shoot anything that you can fit in the magazine and even some that are too long.

Be sure and buy the tools you need to complete the build. I bought this dvd off Amazon and watched it, then bought my tools and I highly recommend that approach and the video:
      http://www.amazon.com/Building-Your-AR-15-Scratch-VanMiddlesworth/dp/B004ZZDYDG

It’s only $20 delivered.

You likely will want to build more of them once you have the first one done.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Fishman;n6483 wrote:

I was going to suggest building your own and I see that you have already been thinking that way. I bought my first two AR’s and built the third one. I really enjoyed it although I didn’t build the upper, and I think it is a much better gun than either of the first two, including the expensive one. I am currently working on a PSA PA-10 build and I have a couple of ar15 receivers in the wings waiting for the right deal to come up on their site. I was never an AR enthusiast but am fast becoming one. Biggest downside to me is the absolutely horrible standard triggers that come with them. The PSA enhanced trigger group and lighter springs help make them serviceable.

The Magpul stocks are much better than the “freedom” plastic stocks. The free-float rails are nice, but cold in the winter if you are hunting with them.

The 1:7 twist is the most common and should shoot anything that you can fit in the magazine and even some that are too long.

Be sure and buy the tools you need to complete the build. I bought this dvd off Amazon and watched it, then bought my tools and I highly recommend that approach and the video:
      http://www.amazon.com/Building-Your-AR-15-Scratch-VanMiddlesworth/dp/B004ZZDYDG

It’s only $20 delivered.

You likely will want to build more of them once you have the first one done.

Thanks for the advice. I have already ordered the second kit with the Melonite barrel. Once it gets here I will see what all I have and what else I will need. I hadn’t thought about tools. What tools will I need to put the lower together?

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

It looks like the only specialty tool I will need is a castle nut wrench. Would one like this one be a good choice or do you have a better suggestion?

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 35
      • Overall: 39

That one should work just fine. You will just need it to tighten up the buffer tube nut for the lower.

You may have what else is needed, but here is what I use

Roll pin punch set:
      http://www.midwayusa.com/product/363683/grace-usa-roll-pin-punch-set-7-piece-steel

Roll pin holder set: (There are less expensive ones out there)
      http://www.midwayusa.com/product/251890/grace-usa-roll-pin-holder-punch-set-5-piece-steel

Pivot pin install tool: (This one also functions as a roll pin holder, not recommended by me for that as it is too short)
      http://www.midwayusa.com/product/919925/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-pivot-pin-detent-and-roll-pin-installation-tool-ar-15-steel

This is a new kit that includes pretty much everything it looks like, including what appears to be a device to press in pins
      http://www.midwayusa.com/product/422840/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-ar-15-10-piece-roll-pin-installation-tool

I haven’t seen the need for the specialty punches where one side is milled away, but here is a dedicated set for installing the bolt catch:
      http://www.midwayusa.com/product/451097/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-ar-15-bolt-catch-installation-punch-kit

Lastly, one thing I can’t find on Midway is a “slave pin”, which functions to temporarily pin the trigger and disconnector together to make it much easier to install and pin in place in the receiver. You can make one out of an old drill bit of the right diameter or even a nail, but you do want one.

If you build your own upper, you will need a support device to hold your upper in place in a vice for barrel installation. You probably will want to watch the video I referenced and make up your own mind about what type to get.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for the info. I have most of that or something that will work. I will order the castle nut wrench from Amazon, and since I have Prime I will have it tomorrow.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

The rifle kit from PSA arrived yesterday so I stuck it on the 80% lower I have just to get a feel for it and see how it looks. The handguard looks really cool and fits my hand very well.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.