Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      digger
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 6

Gentlemen ….
      Would a twist of 1 in 14 be too slow for my 308 ? …
      my range of weights from 147 gr up to 200 gr. , maybe to wide of range for cast ? , better using heavier ?
      any input would be appreciated.
      Also .. hope every one has had a good Christmas so far , had a bit of a white one here.
      thanks
      digger

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I have a 12 in a 308 bolt gun ( every gun is a rule) that won’t shoot a RN 180 the same length as a 150 . In a 30-30 while it doesn’t shoot it well it will make round holes with NOE 312-230 , also with a 12 twist . I think that the top bullet weights will give you trouble in the 14.

​​

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

A 1:14 twist rate will stabilize the NOE XCB bullet with no problems, and also most jacketed bullets in the 150 grain range. I shoot several 30 cal rifles with 1:14 twist. Larry Gibson’s 30×60 XCB rifle has a 1:16 twist Broughton barrel that also stabilizes the XCB bullet just fine. Good luck with your project.

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

If you are planning to shoot M80 Ball (147 grain FMJ) or any of the commercial jacketed bullets of about 150 grains as well as most cast bullets, then that 1 in 14″ pitch will be tops. I’ve not tried the 1 in 14″ twist with the heavy match bullets of 175 grains or heavier, so I can’t comment on that. When the 308 was still required for the Palma Matches, the 1 in 14″ twist was very popular with the 155 grain Sierra Palma bullet.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

digger

The question I have is the barrel length you plan on using. If you are going with the current short barrel fad of 16 – 20″ then I suggest you get a 12″ twist. It will handle any cast bullet up to 220 gr into the 2200 – 2300 fps range. I have shot lots of 155 – 188 gr cast bullets of various designs with excellent accuracy up through 2600 fps out of my 14″ twist .308W Palma rifle. However, it has a 27.6″ barrel and I use slow burning powders. If you get a 24 -26″ barrel with adjustable gas block then I’d suggest a 13″ twist. I’m basing this not on SWAGing but on thousands of cast bullets shot through 10, 11, 12 and 14″ twist .308/7.62 NATO barrels including gas guns (ARs and M1A/M14s) with 10, 11 and 12″ twists.

Larry Gibson

digger
      Participant
      • Bronze

thank you gentlemen …
      At the moment I have a 20 inch barrel with 10″ twist , the chamber needs a bit more “cleaning up” but ….
      Down the road I think I would like to pick another barrel to try with my cast as I have no intention of using jacketed .
      One of the advantages of the AR …. can change out the barrel with out too much effort ?
      Some great advice being given here.
      thank you
      digger

DaveInGA
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 44
      • Overall: 50

Digger,

I agree with Larry with one caveat: Before you spend money on a new barrel, try the barrel you have with the bullet you want to use. You never know, it may work very well. If it works, you’ve saved yourself a good bit of money.

When I first started shooting the M1 rifle as an inexpensive way to get into High Power Rifle (I won’t tell you how long ago that was.), I took the banged up old DCM gun I had to a gunsmith named “Hook” Boutin. He was a retired Army Armorer that had been with the Army Marksmanship Unit. He gauged my barrel and judged it “servicable,” even though I could barely see the riflings. He then tuned up the rifle, charged me 25 dollars for the tune up job and told me to shoot it a season or two until the barrel was fully wore out. It shot minute of angle with 168 grain BTHP’s popular at the time. I shot it for a season and did reasonably well, going from low 300 scores to 425 or better scores across the course that season. I never did get a new barrel on that rifle and my son owns it now.

“One of the advantages of the AR …. can change out the barrel with out too much effort ?” Depending on the handguards and/or free float tube you have and which company made it, it can be easier or harder, but generally, if you want to do it yourself, you’re going to need some tools and those tools can run you some dollars pretty quickly.

digger
      Participant
      • Bronze

It is all the experience that is available here that I value highly …
      thank you for your input DaveInGA …
      as things are at the moment , yes ,I will spend some effort to see how this unit performs with my loads , so to speak “break in time” …..before I go farther with the project.
      thank you.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.