Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 35
      • Overall: 39

Well this is great, a cast-specific semi-auto forum. Thanks Goodsteel!

I am in the process of building an AR-10, actually two of them, one for me and one for my dad. Source is Palmetto State Armory and I’ve got everything to build out both lowers. For the upper, I’m pretty sure I want to stick with the .308, but the 1:10 twist for the PSA gives me pause. I’m thinking I need a slower twist if I want to run cast at higher velocities. Any thoughts on this as well as recommended sources would be appreciated. I don’t want to spend an excessive amount on a barrel but would pay extra for the right twist (which is?) and quality. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I would consider the .358 win if there was a source.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

The 12 twist is the only one that can share both jacketed and cast in the same barrel chambered in 308. 14 twist would limit you to 150 grain jacketed bullets. With the 12 twist, if you use my 30XCB mold from NOE, you’re good to go at 2300FPS and you can also drop in the classic 168grain jacketed bullets plug and play.

358 is a sweat option in a SA rifle. I built one on a M1A a few years ago, and it’s still loved and used by it’s owner.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayO8z7pvcA
      BTW, that rifle would dump an entire magazine into 2.5″ at 100 yards using a 285 grain FN bullet. The bullet I’m using in the video is the “venison boomerang” the Lyman 358318 (it tumbles when it hits).

One AR-10 I built that was also noteworthy (although not particularly cast friendly) was in 260 Remington. Not too shabby!

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

No experience with any of these but googlage shows

DPMS has made AR-10 uppers in 358

http://www.x-caliber.net/ar-10

http://www.kakindustry.com/kak-358-stainless-16-inch-mid-stainless-barrel

Tim, should be able to tell you about his M1A in 358 WCF – I don’t know who’s barrel he used.

And several barrel makers will custom contour to AR-10 spec’s with any of their barrels.
      See the thread about barrel makers.

https://kriegerbarrels.com/caliber#ar10 – shows 5 calibers but no 358 but they make 358 so I assume it would be no big deal to have them make one
      they show 10, 12, 14, 16 twist in their bolt action section for .358 barrels.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I once sent a barrel to a man to be reborred, and his name was
      JES

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze

Art, thanks for the links, the first two would be in my price range and look pretty good. The first has a lot of options!

Goodsteel, what twist would you choose for the .358? I’d love to have one, but since this is my first ar10, I’m cautious. I don’t want to bite off more than I can chew. My dad is all for the .358 but I think he is planning on me working out the bugs so that all he has to do is go shoot, lol. The thought occurs to me that the .358 would be less likely to overlap my .300 blk duties than a .308.

Did I mention I could be convinced to go .358? I already have the .35 xcb mould as well as the .35 Thor which I think was .235 gr. I just don’t want to make a mistake and get something with too steep a learning curve.

Palmetto warns to only use their parts, but I can’t see how the barrel could be that different.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

For this specific application, I recommend 1-14 twist.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

I use DPMS 1:10 308W carbine & 24″ rifle. 168 Amax or 170gr GC PCd cast no problem. I’m near max jacket loads and accuracy is good (for my shooting ability). 1:12 may help, there is a company advertizing they will make whatever you want for ARs, don’t know anything about their quality…

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze

Thanks Popper. Are you experiencing any fliers? Do you shoot at paper or steel? I would be happy with 1.5″ at 100 for a 5 shot group. In my limited experience with Ar’s the trigger causes the most problems with accuracy.

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze

So, this .358 win barrel is a 1:12 twist, but it is available and reasonably priced at $250. Any thoughts about this given Goodsteel’s recommendation for a 1:14″?

http://www.kakindustry.com/kak-358-stainless-16-inch-mid-stainless-barrel

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Paper – but I did take it on a pig hunt last year -success with 40SW @ 25 yds. Took the BO also. No fliers with the 308W unless I cause them.

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze

OK, an update to the thread. Just placed an order for a .308 upper from PSA on a Memorial Day Sale:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-p…ng-handle.html

It was $1099 but with the sale it is $899 with free shipping. FN 20″ chrome lined barrel with 1:12 twist. I can’t wait!

PS if you don’t hear from me for a while I am in the doghouse. Poor WiFi reception out there.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

Sounds like you got a good deal, I can’t wait for the results.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 129

I looked hard at that deal but since I just spent all my money on a 556 I will have to let it pass this time. Let us know how it goes after you get it.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Will certainly make a fine hog getter

Fishman
      Participant
      • Bronze

I got the upper and it is top-notch, just like all of the other PSA goodies I’ve ever gotten. I’ll post a pic later. My first load was 23 gr of 2400 under the 160 Harris-designed mold from HM2 moulds. I was checking for function and leading, that’s all. Chambering a dummy round was just about perfect, with very light rifling engraving on bullet for maybe 1/8″ when it was crimped on the front driving band. I wasn’t able to get cycling, and I really didn’t think I would, but it was much closer than expected. I am planning to try a slower powder next, and once I make some progress I will report. I just wanted to keep this thread going a bit, and anyone else is welcome to post relevant information.

The best thing was that no leading at all was observed, and this was at an estimated 2000 fps from the Lyman manual. This was a gas checked design and lubed with Lars’ Carnauba Red.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

Keep the reports coming

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.