This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Butch Wax 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 158
    • Overall: 180

Carried a 4″ S&W Mod 28 for decades on the street until we weren’t allowed wheelguns anymore and had to go autoloader. In an act of stupid I sold my trusty old friend when I was made a good offer in my shop. That was stupid… Then 4 months ago I found another 4″ 28.

I’m living on my police pension thus it was on layaway for four months. I paid it off last week. Bubba was likely the last owner. You know the guy that shoots the crap outta a gun and NEVER cleans it! But mechanically it was solid. Side plate never pulled. Not bad for a 1979 28-2. Bore is dark in places with minute pitting from a coating of copper with filth under it to corrode it. But hey, I’ve seen worse.

Good news is it was the first 28 4″ I’ve seen for sale in 20 years. Original grips are gone. Has the old Safariland gripper style grips. They gotta go!

Shoots great. Did my famous DA action job on it and it is smoooooth. 🙂

I don’t often buy new guns and have very few as I am not rich. Like I said earlier, I exist on a police pension and chump change from social security. So this is big medicine for me.

M28

Jniedbalski 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 203
    • Overall: 226
    1. That is nice
     Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 158
    • Overall: 180

Here it is after I cleaned it up and installed some proper rosewood panels. What a great shooter!

With my right eye going now and blurry, I may just hunt with this 28. I’m left eye dominant but shoot right handed. I’ve cocked my head a touch right for decades shooting pistols aiming with my left eye.

From a sitting position with the weapon braced on my knees, it groups well. I’m getting back to where I’m quite comfortable and more importantly, confident with it.  Ideal #357446 162gr SWC [discontinued] was the bullet for 357Mag back in the late 30’s up until the late 60’s. With 7gr to 7.5gr of Unique in a mag case this bullet is amazing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.