This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Larry Gibson 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
     Darren McCann 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 15
    • Overall: 19

Good Morning,

I had my HV rifle out again on Tuesday May 22nd. It was an almost perfect day, very little mirage and very light breezes.

I was testing two loads;

1) IMR 4320 with 32, 34, and 36 grains with and without filler. 30 XCB 2500 and a aluminium GC.

2) IMR 4831 45 grains with and without filler. 30 XCB 2500 and a aluminium GC.

This range is an all steel with the smallest plate at 200M being 6”x 6”, 8”x 10”, 12”x 12”, 18”x18” and they have an IPSC silhouette. These repeat at 300M and at 500M.

I was using a Labradar to get velocity readings. Slightly different benches and stools, but really stable shooting platform.

The “best” load was 34 grs IMR 4320 with Dacron filler ~1gr. It had a SD of 16 and ran a 10 shot average of 2330 FPS. I was easily hitting the small plate at 200M and went 7 out of 10 at 300M on the 8”x 10”.

The IMR 4831 without filler had a large SD of 46 and were running at 2380 FPS. An easy load to hit the small plate at 200M. Not so great at 300M 50/50 on the 8”x 10” plate.

More in a bit seems I have hit the word limit  for this page.

Darren McCann 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 15
    • Overall: 19

Ahhhh…a fresh coffee and good to go!!!

The IMR 4831 with ~1 gr of Dacron filler were way more consistent with a SD 21 and they were faster running at an average of 2420 FPS. 10/10 on the small 200M plate and  feeling very sure of myself after 5 shots on the 8”x 10” plate at 300M. I shot 5 at the small plate and 4/5 hits. Went out to 500M with the last 10 shots. I was trying to hit the  IPSC silhouette plate. Didn’t go as well as the shorter range, but certainly discovered the “falling rock” of velocity drop!!! I did manage to hit the plate twice and the one beside it once…..

Next trip I will paper test at the other range and will be increasing the speed with both powders.

We we’re mostly shooting at 800M with jacketed bullets in various rifles. I was shooting my Remington 260. When the range went cold we went down to 800M to repaint the steel, while the other guys went to paint the closer plates. When we all got back to the line the guys that were painting the 200M steel asked what I was shooting? When I told them and showed them the rifle and loaded rounds, they were shaking their heads. They said the plate had a spot “polished off….the size of an egg” and they said it didn’t look like the other shots, more like a “chrome foil”. The guys that painted the 300M steel said the same….

This is the most fun “Rabbit hole” I have went down in a long time!!! I was completely bored with rifle shooting. The 260 I have will shoot tiny groups with ease. So I started playing with old military rifles at short ranges open sights lots of fun. Now with this rifle and working up different loads I feel like back when I was shooting a 6BR rifle for the first time. Every hit is a complete THRILL!!!

I will report in with more results next trip to the range.

Have an awesome weekend!

Darren

kens 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 531
    • Overall: 587

Yup, thats a fun rabbit hole.

Another fun hole is flogging steel plates with .45-70. Cast doesnt leave the pock marks in the steel like jacketed, but, if you got something like 45-70, and you flog the gong awhile, the plate will start to bow in towards the center, like folding in towards the boolit hits.

not a high velocity thing, just another rabbit hole to go down.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

Another advantage of the .45-70 is that by the time the sound of hitting that gong comes back to the bench your electronic muffs might have opened up, and you can enjoy a more satisfying ring. Especially satisfying at our range where the canyon walls give you three echos of that shot. Music. Pure music.

Larry Gibson 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 506
    • Overall: 558
    • Gold

Darren

Well I finally got my laptop working so I can post.  Your results are excellent and certainly exemplify all the knowledge gained for accurate, consitent HV cast bullet shooting.  Looking forward to more results as you progress.  Also looking forward to shooting with you again this fall.

Larry Gibson

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.