Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 256
      • Overall: 296

Another experiment with trying to hide the pregnant 1891 magazine, it was done quite a few years ago and just evolved over time. Originally it just used up a few odd parts laying around but the more we got into it the fancier things got. I wish I would have used a better stick of walnut for the stock but it started as a teaching tool to get me away from the “pavement breaker ” for ends and grip caps and the “high rise ” monty carlo combs of the late 50’s and 60’s and get started on a more pleasing traditional approach, ala Dale Goens, Linden, Bob Owens, Fisher, etc. Dean Wentworth, long time friend stood over me and beat me as required to keep me in line learning shaping, style and form. I was lucky to have him as a next door neighbor at Tortilla Flats.
      This magazine approach used a lined blind box from some Remington rifle but required extensive machining to the bottom of the receiver to fit a modified Springfield follower. and is in 35 Remington. It works better than a single column but will still only hold 2 rounds with one extra in the chamber. Time wise, it is a killer and there again takes a lot of fiddeling to make works and is sensitive to bullet shape.
      Jerry Fisher grip cap, ebony forend tip, Neidner butt plate, Krag trigger guard, Wolly Mammoth name plate around the front guard screw. and highly modified Bold side safety trigger.

Just to make things a bit different we adapted a cut off Redfield peep sight to the rear of the Jr. base and tunneled the Redfield rings to make a back up set of sights, they work well. Also shows a fast quick way to hide the open gap after removing the factory safety. I think more improvement could be done here.
      I like Neidner and Model 70 butt plates.

Another view of the peep back up sight and a quick shot of the front sight, a real old timer from a long time ago. Found it in a junk box at a gun show, smashed and missing the insert. Cleaned things up, found a hood and made a insert and just like tradition, the bead is ivory.

These 91’s are fun to play with. Currently rounding up bits and pieces to try another magazine idea with a totally different shaped rifle.

So many ideas, so little time !!!

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Reg,

That’s a beautiful custom rifle you have. I like the streamlined magazine idea. I was thinking of making a peep site base from the rear scope mount as well. Well executed!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Gorgeous rifle, but I don’t get the war against the 91 magazine. I’m going to leave mine alone and blue it (go do that voodoo that I do so well) and rather than hide it, proudly display it. Any prominent feature can be worked with. The bolt itself is an excellent example. Who’d have believed that a rifle with a handlbar could be made to look so elegant?
      There is a fine line between ugly and gorgeous, and “understated elegance” is the fairy godmother that decides which is which. We shall see.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

Reg, you and I think alike but your better at delivering the finished product! Very nice. Shame the price in these older average(a little bubba work) guns now is more than the new stuff.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

uber7mm;n4934 wrote: Reg,

That’s a beautiful custom rifle you have. I like the streamlined magazine idea. I was thinking of making a peep site base from the rear scope mount as well. Well executed!

Actually the peep worked into the Jr. base is really easy to do and while I have actually never needed it in the field it does add one of the little nice touches.
      A lot of the older British gunmakers were great at adding little things that made their work standout. and even Linden in his classic book went into great detail on how to make a hidden cartridge trap in the butt plate.
      Years ago I knew a fellow who worked in the gunroom up at the Cabela’s main store in Sidney. We went up there on occasion and he often would let me examine the nicer rifles they would take in. I was never smart enough to bring a camera, darn it. It is really amazing the work some of the betters smiths turn out.
      Compared to Kennedy, Fisher, Owens and others I am just a small time piker and even if I can never achieve their level of quality and attention to detail I can at least use their work as an example and try try try !!!

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Like I said, I like the 91’s. Workmanship and attention to fine detail catch my eye quickly and the 91’s have it all EXCEPT— that magazine !!!
      I think my lack of desire on the magazine part is the first 91 I had I carried it every where mostly due to terrain and the hunting situation at hand and it might just be me but that magazine was right at the balance point where I wanted to carry the darn thing. Also, see something a little out of line, change it !!! Also I think the challenge of doing something like that adds to the sport a bit.
      The bolt handle is just forged. I want to go back in at some time and reshape it , more pear shaped kind of like a Model 70.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Redfield used to offer their one piece base with a flip up aperture rear sight. I have several and actually used one once when a scope went TU on a hunt. You can see a couple on my 450-400-70 and Swede scout. I also picked up a couple bases for the M88 that I’ll use to make bases to fit the rear sight base on a couple other Mausers.

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Larry Gibson;n4961 wrote: Redfield used to offer their one piece base with a flip up aperture rear sight. I have several and actually used one once when a scope went TU on a hunt. You can see a couple on my 450-400-70 and Swede scout. I also picked up a couple bases for the M88 that I’ll use to make bases to fit the rear sight base on a couple other Mausers.

Larry Gibson

Hey, I’ve got one of those!
      I forget what rifle it’s for though. Maybe I aught to check.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Some of the work done by some of the old time amateurs really wasn’t too bad but ya— some of it was REALLY bad.

Did pick up a Krag single shot conversion in Loveland a few years back. It looked a little rough on the table but that was mostly due to the treatment it had received along the way. Long story with it but am just finishing up the restoration in R-2 Lovell and it looks like it might just turn out not too shabby. Actually the guy was not too bad with the checkering and am going to actually have to make up a couple of different shaped checkering cutters to duplicate and repair his pattern.

You say you do a bit of work ?? Lets see it. Have no fear, you should have seen how I started. I don’t even want to talk about it it’s that bad but one has to start somewhere and I have found a little constructive criticism along the way as long as it is meant in good faith and taken as such goes a long way to helping one develop style and craftsman ship. I am still learning and always try to remain open to a better way or idea. I have looked a pictures of Tim’s and many others work. My mind takes pictures and who knows, I might just play with that idea later. I don’t expect it to be correct but keep trying until it just feels right.
      Learning MUST be a ongoing process.

Reg
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I don’t know why it just struck me but got to looking in my scope base box and I too found several of those Redfield flip up sights . I think they called them at the time, ” The Little Blue Peep.” Neat idea and would be simple to add to any rear scope base.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.