Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

I have about 100 pieces of Nickel plated brass.  I attempted to anneal several piece by the propane tank and drill and socket approach.  No visible changes.  Is there a secret?  Am I wasting my time?   Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

Charlie

uber7

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

You should not depend on color for annealing. With brass, the color is all over the place.

The best way is to use templaque pens to determine the actual temperature of the metal, and get that tied to a time in the flame. Once you get calibrated, you rock on no matter what it looks like.

This is especially important with nickel because you can’t see jack squat in color change. In fact, you might go too far and damage your brass and not know it, so be careful.

Finally, I have found no discernible advantage to annealing brass. There are occasions where I would, but they are rare. FOr instance, I might anneal if I was absolutely determined to eke out every last little bit of brass life from a certain batch (500 Jeffery comes to mind), or if I’m making a custom wildcat that requires a lot of brass movement in the neck and shoulder area, but if I’m shooting for precision with a common cartridge, the cost of getting to the venue where I will be demonstrating or seeking to experience the awesome performance a certain rifle is capable of, pales in comparison with the cost of 100 pieces of brass.

Further, if I were doing so, I would not be using nickel plated brass in the first place. That’s hunting fodder.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Edit to add: I hate to come off like a snob, but life is just too short to hand forge lawnmower blades and hone them to a razor edge (if you catch my drift).

uber7mm
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 288
      • Overall: 305

Thanks Tim,

I appreciate your honest reply.  I’ve been toying with annealing.  The brass in question is old and I was wondering if I could get any more life out of them.  New brass sounds like the way to go.

Thanks again,

uber

Glenn
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 222
      • Overall: 265

You could always do the  hot finger method.

Hold the base between a finger and a thumb and spin the neck in your propane torch’s flame.  Then when your fingers get hot, drop them in a bucket of water…

I wonder if that would make the nickel more brittle and prone to flaking?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.