This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Sgt. Mike 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author
     Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 789
    • Overall: 873

Well really 22LR cases for 22 jackets.
    How many use the:
    a. Lee pot method
    b. propane burner
    c. or ???

Tim was nice enough to shoot me a D.R. Corbin jacket maker die set.
    I used the propane torch method to learn the die at first. The annealing went good, although I actually got a about 5 way to hot out of 100 or so.
    I quenched in water (1 teaspoon of vinegar), and dawn dishwashing.
    I need to add the SS pins method as well, to polish the jacket staining.
    I’m considering the next batch for the Lee pot method to get a production level going and speed up the process.

Just looking for a consensus or input of economical ideas that might speed up the annealing.

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 197
    • Overall: 213

Oven self cleaning mode, cases on cookie sheet, and then take out and quench in cold water
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-cleaning_oven

Mike

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Three hours at 500-900 degrees should do it. Or at least one would think.
    Thank you Mike.
    Last time I tried my oven on the self cleaning mode it did not seem to work. Or maybe it was 1 percent smarter than me LOL.
    That being said seems I read or heard that time with a higher temp would anneal the cases.

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Yes 900 degrees has done it for me
    approximately 500 degrees Celsius or 900 degrees Fahrenheit

Remember the quench

Screwbolts 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 97
    • Overall: 101

skeettx,

First, I have never annealed 22lr cases, but I have annealed the necks of thousands of center fire from 22 Hornet to 50 BMGs. Why the water Quench when annealing the 22lr cases? Is there a known advantage to quenching them, all of my CF cases just air cool after annealing.

Ken

popper 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 293
    • Overall: 294

750F for a short period of time works. Metallurgy speaking, quenching can cause micro stress cracks (thermal shock). The pot method, IIRC is placing in a pipe with TP and drop into pot for a while. I use the torch method on necks and GC, seems to work. With GC in a pan, torch till they just flash ‘silver’ them move the heat to others. They don’t get the oxide on them. IMO the 22lr would respond the same way. Get them too hot and you get the oxide. Wonder if a slight bit of solder paste flux will prevent the oxidation?

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

skeettx;n15611 wrote: Yes 900 degrees has done it for me
    approximately 500 degrees Celsius or 900 degrees Fahrenheit

Remember the quench

This seems to be the best that has been mentioned. Although I have no idea why the quench? I believe brass doesn’t care one way or tother.

Screwbolts 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

when annealing copper gas checks I use a Black pipe nipple with caps on both ends. I also put a strip of paper in with the checks and that chars using up all the O2 in the pipe keeping the checks from oxidizing.

I will quite often just set the pipe in the hot cools in the wood boiler for a couple hours and the remove letting it cool before opening and emptying.

Ken

skeettx 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

http://reloadingcreations.com/?page_id=153

http://www.corbins.com/kit-224.htm
    (Prepare the jacket Anneal the jacket by heating it with a hand torch or running it through a self clean cycle in an electric oven.)

Why quench?
    That is what Dave Corbin told me to do while we chatted on the phone in 1973 🙂

Above says “This isn’t necessary to assist in the annealing process; it simply makes the brass able to be handled quicker.”

The annealing takes place AFTER the case is drawn

Mike

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Yes Mike
    I quenched right after the propane torch method. Like you mentioned it allows you to handle the cases to jackets quicker.
    And does not really assist the annealing itself. The vinegar, water, dawn detergent does help with scale a lot, cleans them a little bit, and acts as etching agent (the vinegar).

Another thing that I have heard but have not observed is it is better to de-rim prior to annealing or one could punch through.
    I annealed prior to deriming and after did not observe this. I did note that it was easier to derim by annealing prior.
    The oven method sounds better for mass prepping, the propane is a bit slow.
    Right now I’m annealing twice, once before drawing and then again after drawing, this keeps the jackets from work hardening.
    This might be overkill but I think that it will assist once I wind up with core seating and point up dies right now I’m just making jackets.

Screwbolts 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

skeettx, Thank you for the explanation ” Above says “This isn’t necessary to assist in the annealing process; it simply makes the brass able to be handled quicker.”

Yes, I understand that you can handle them quicker to wait for them to dry out. 🙂 Possibly, if you are going to wet pin tumble them then being wet is not an issue.

Ken

bullet maker 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 76
    • Overall: 88

I used to put the drawn jackets in a mesh basket and put them in my turkey fryer. I just got a heat treat oven. Another learning experiance. I anneal after drawing. To many punch thrus.

Sgt. Mike 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

have not had any punch through on the ones that I annealed prior to drawing, but have since stopped (the quantity that I tried was small sample). As the information that I read plus what others here have stated, made sense that it could / would happen.

Thanks for the input Pete.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.