Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

280473 . I snagged this one …….. mostly because 27 cal moulds are in short supply .

What a strange bullet . I haven’t shot it yet so I have no idea how good or bad it is .
      It drops <.280 , .279 is enough for my needs , 122 gr , nominal upper maximum weight for the cartridge .
      The odd thing about this bullet is the tapered super extra long check shank . It takes a 270 Hornady copper check and it holds tight on a fresh WCWW bullet . They are resting now to reach nominal hardness .
      If there’s any history , knowledge or particular application of this bullet I’d like to hear ….er…read it .

NOE 279 , 278473 w/w/o check

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Bits and pieces.

It appears that Harry Pope had some affiliation with this . Ground hogs with a 270 Win . Not a lot of help but something .

I guess I’ll have to start looking for books by Pope now too .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Well it’s aerodynamic enough, but it violates almost every rule that we have established for HV cast. It’s hard to see how you could lose more bearing surface. It must have been used for black powder. That’s all I can think from the look of the design. Low velocities and a need to keep the fowling soft with half a stick of lube on each bullet. I’m thinking the GC was experimental. In fact, the whole bullet looks like an attempt to feel out what might work. Like a placeholder on the path to enlightenment? I don’t know. But then again, it might be a surprise. Try it soft, try it hard, and lets see what she does. Ten shot groups don’t lie.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’m on the spot and stalk for Pope’s works now . It does seem an unlikely candidate for go fast . For it’s intent it “only” needs to go 23-2400 in an 11 twist to dip into jacketed speeds .
      It might make a low drag 7mm patched bullet .

It appears that the 311413 is a 30 cal sister to this .

I don’t know much about Harry Pope other than his approximate era . I guess he did some writing and shooting with Elmer and the boys .

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

1941 American Rifleman I think ………..
      He sounds a lot like a guy I know .

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/rec.guns/6Vsc7uhZ3tQ

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.