Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 163
      • Overall: 176

I had been planning a trip to Arkansas for months; my last trip to visit Tim and his family was in late 2014 and it had just been too long. The first week in January was initially blocked off, but Tim came down with the flu and the trip had to be cancelled.
      President’s day (or Trump Day as it’s now officially renamed:cool:​) was the next opening on the schedule, and on 15 February I headed out of Florida.
      First stop was Shreveport, where I picked up a pair of Rossi model 92 Hartford rifles, NIB, consecutively numbered, from a great fellow who had advertised them on CBF.

Shortly after leaving Shreveport I passed this sign:

Not long thereafter I found my way to the new Malcolm property; A beautiful house on over 2 acres of land, and with a 100-yard shooting range behind the house. For a city slicker like myself it doesn’t get any better in the lower 48.

I’ll dispense with most of the small talk and get down to some of the shooting we did. The new Rossi rifles were first disassembled and cleaned by Tim, and then we tested them with some rather mild loads. At 100 yards, with iron sights, they both shot admirably, as this picture shows:

The factory sights were a little hard to see with my tired eyes, so tim installed fiber optic sight on my rifle. I’ll also try out a new Skinner peep sight that just showed up in the mail.

Bertha, the target rifle that did most of the early shooting in the XCB cast bullet project, was waiting for me with a new (to me) barrel. A shooting buddy in Florida had given me a 30 caliber Broughton barrel in 1:12 twist, chambered in 30 Aardvark (ever heard about that one?), and Tim had chambered the barrel in 30BR and fitted it to Bertha’s single shot Mauser action.
      The combination of Lapua brass, H4198 powder and Bart’s 112 gr bullets turned out to be a good combination. We scooped a full case of the the 4198 in a fired and re-primed case, then hand seated the bullet, stuck it in the chamber and pulled the trigger.

Here’s Sgt. Mike in action behind the rifle:

We fired 70 rounds in this setting, and we were reasonably happy with the results:

Tim had also finished work on a custom Remington 700 SA in .222 Remington, with a 1:14 twist Krieger (Remington Varmint profile), fully blueprinted action and a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock. I had bought some Sierra 52 gr HPs, and Tim shot this 10-shot group:

I didn’t measure the group, but it was SMALL!!

Here’s the only picture I got while we were shooting this rifle:

I also took delivery of this rifle:

It’s a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06, with the barrel cut to 16.5 inches and bedded in a Boyds Thumbhole stock, with a muzzle brake. Shooting full house loads with Sierra 220 grain RN bullets, the recoil felt about like a 30-30. It’ll be my moose hunting companion this fall. Accuracy was very good; I didn’t save any targets but the rifle was shooting 1.5 inch groups with the RN bullets. Much testing and load development will be performed and documented. The rifle is now wearing a Vortex 1-6x scope.

Last but not least, we also found time for some socializing: the Arkansas gang had postponed their monthly meeting so I could participate, and we all met and enjoyed a great dinner and much gun-related conversation:

It was truly a great road trip, one I hope to repeat at some point in the future.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

What part of Florida are you in?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I measured the group made by the 222 as being .314 inches for ten shots.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

kens;n14519 wrote: What part of Florida are you in?

I’m in Fort Lauderdale.

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Awesome. I’m taking the rifle to the range on Thursday for more fun.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

It was an awesome trip Bjorn. We enjoyed your visit more than you’ll ever know, and the memories are awesome.
      Here’s a few more pictures to supliment your post:
      [HTML]
      Here’s the Mossberg MVP I built in 6X45. Had some fun with the this too:

Food was good…

Here’s cadude shooting a custom 30XCB hunting rifle I built for Bjorn

Here’s a special photo. Bjorn Sarge and myself all together in my shop. The only person missing is Larry. That’s almost the whole XCB team. I may frame this and hang it behind the lathe.

Here’s myself, Glenn Larson, and Bjorn. Another wall hanger for sure.

All in all, a truely unforgettable time, and a huge event for goodsteelforum!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Ok some humor first. For years while being on Cast Boolits web site I have effectively kept from having a photo of me being posted. Left there came here now my ugly grill is all over the place.. I find that quite comical.. well now to move onto the actual visit.

Bjorn it was a pleasure to shoot with you again, of course Tim, Bjorn, Glenn, Doc, and last but not least Ed. Gents it is as always a extreme pleasure to be graced with ya’lls company any time it occurs.
      The 45 Colt lever Rossi’s was a lot of fun, the Winchester 70 cut down was a pussycat, Bertha shooting free recoil was a real treat. Talking of Bertha best part of that 70 group shoot off was Bjorn and Tim had been shooting and was warmed up prior to my showing up. Thus I was the cold shooter. Yeah right, like that really made a difference NOT hahaha, sorry gents just could not resist, honestly I don’t think it made a difference at all…. Bertha shot Extremely well just like every build that Tim does.

All in all a great time, the only thing that could have been better was if it could have been for a longer duration.

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

Wish I’d been there…….

Larry Gibson

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That sentiment was echoed many times during this get together Larry. You were sorely missed!
      That said, I am hoping to organize another Sawbucks meeting when and if you ever make it over this way. Lot’s of people here would jump at the chance to meet you in person!

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Sounds like it was a great time. I’m envious. Additionally, I can now put a face to the names I’ve been reading about!

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

bjornb;n14523 wrote:

I’m in Fort Lauderdale.

I worked 2013-2015 at Sikorsky in West Palm Beach, on the CH-53K flight test program.
      I just got an offer to go back there. If I make it back there maybe we can get a brew?

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

kens;n14549 wrote:

I worked 2013-2015 at Sikorsky in West Palm Beach, on the CH-53K flight test program.
      I just got an offer to go back there. If I make it back there maybe we can get a brew?

That would be great! Also, there are better rifle ranges in Palm Beach County; I shoot up by Lake Okeechobee whenever I find the time for the drive. Broward only has one public range. A travesty.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Did you go to that range next to the motorcycle dirt track?

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yep, Okeechobee Shooting Sports. I usually pay the extra few bucks to shoot on the “gallery” side, where supervision is lax and most benches are empty on weekdays.

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 115
      • Overall: 135

Awesome photos fellas! Jealous for sure….looks like Arkansas is the new road trip destination! 😀

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I’ve got a nice spare room right across from the reloading room, and you’re welcome to come sample MBT hospitality!

bjornb
      • Silver
      • ★★

ZmanWakeForest;n14556 wrote: Awesome photos fellas! Jealous for sure….looks like Arkansas is the new road trip destination! 😀

Zman has a special place in my shooting history: he is the gentleman who sold me the original Bertha rifle (the forum’s signature rifle which now bears the dragonfly tattoo).
      Here’s a picture of Bertha on Zman’s tailgate in Raleigh NC back in May 2014:

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Yeah, and just to think, I had to twist your arm to convince you to buy that awesome rifle! LOL!

CA Dude
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 11
      • Overall: 12

It was indeed good to meet Bjorn. I really enjoyed shooting his 30XCB.

Dinner at Sawbucks was most enjoyable. Highly recommended. Hope to see you all there next month.

CA Dude

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I may just have to take you up on that! Appreciate the offer very much!

ZmanWakeForest
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

It’s been that long already!!! Time sure flies!

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Seriously, you have no idea. Seems like just yesterday I was running the 30XCB reamer into the first barrel. Time flies when you’re having fun, and we’ve been having a BLAST.

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.