Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      goody
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 74
      • Overall: 92

Are there alternate options to snug up the halves other than the split bolt that costs a lot? I believe my play is normal for the need to fit a lot of various components but I would like it tight.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

If you just have to have it tight, you can make oversized pins and ream the holes for a perfect fit, but that’s not the way it’s supposed to be.

Maybe Sgt.mike will weigh in here. He was just telling me how important it is to have tight cross pins in an AR. (heh heh)

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

There is a rubber wedge that fits behind the rear pin that helps tighten it up.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/accu-wedges/ar-15-m16-accu-wedge-prod16662.aspx

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Goodsteel;n7334 wrote: If you just have to have it tight, you can make oversized pins and ream the holes for a perfect fit, but that’s not the way it’s supposed to be.

Maybe Sgt.mike will weigh in here. He was just telling me how important it is to have tight cross pins in an AR. (heh heh)

LOL yeah Tim.

Tightening the upper to the lower. Ok the easiest cheapest is the “wedge” mentioned by Doc . Over sized Pins,adjustable Bushings applied to the upper lugs and lower is another permanent, costly method, because of the machining time involved. Another method is setscrews to push against the upper lugs, again, expensive when paying for the machining time, compared to the wedge.

In my experience, firing countless loose and tight ARs, it made no real difference. What made more difference was the looseness of the rear sight base for the A2 and up family, as well as the barrel, the way that the barrel was torqued in, and if the barrel was floated properly.

I will admit, like everyone else, I prefer the a tight upper to lower fit. It is a confidence builder, but the fact is, I’ve fired loose ones that outshot tight fitting ones.

In no way am I discounting the OP’s question or desire, because I pretty much feel the same way

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

well, if it makes no problem to accuracy I will leave it as is. That’s easy enough, thanks for input because the gun shoots very good.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

I have Accu-wedges In a couple, they are about $5 most places .

The idea of the upper and lower just rattlingaround always makes me think of a shock absorber with the bushings gone but that is just the mechanic in me .
      Not to argue any particular point or question the proven results but it seems like the the upper moving on the lower is akin to a loose stock on an Enfield. I also recognize that a little bit of urathane rubber only damp the movement and this is a moot point as the chamber,bolt and sight relationship doesn’t change.

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

Harter;n7344 wrote: I have Accu-wedges In a couple, they are about $5 most places .

The idea of the upper and lower just rattlingaround always makes me think of a shock absorber with the bushings gone but that is just the mechanic in me .
      Not to argue any particular point or question the proven results but it seems like the the upper moving on the lower is akin to a loose stock on an Enfield. I also recognize that a little bit of urathane rubber only damp the movement and this is a moot point as the chamber,bolt and sight relationship doesn’t change.

Harter fully agree with your statement of the rattle of the loose ones I prefer a tight fitting one.

Goody if you prefer a tighter fit there is nothing wrong with tightening it up, but to be honest if the gun shoots better it will be because you subconsciously think so because it is tighter.
      Like I said I prefer a tighter fit as well and will tighten them up because that is what I prefer.
      The mouse gun is a lot of fun and there is a lot that will help it’s inherent accuracy potential but outta the box it is pretty accurate system without tweaking.

Give this a read from Clint McKee at Fulton Armory
      http://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaqs…AccuWedge.html

and this article

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/04/foghorn/ask-foghorn-eliminating-the-wobble-between-the-halves-of-an-ar-15/

While it may sound silly that I would post a opposing view on the issue I would prefer that you look at it and choice what is best for you. My point is that just because it is a sloppy doesnt mean it’s inaccurate.

goody
      Participant
      • Bronze

I did squeeze some daps out of a silicon caulk tube and allowed to dry and then put some at rear pin like the wedge they sell and presto the gun feels more accurate! I know the gun was more accurate then I could make it shoot but NOW its a tack driver for sure. All I need to do is shoot it to prove it! I love playing with my head!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.