Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

This last summer I put a lot of work into making a good combination of alloy, velocity. into the load I was going to use for my deer hunting season. I did a lot of testing because I new the 7tcu was similar to the 30/30. being the low end of killing capabilities.
      I used milk jugs filled with water to test my bullets. Knowing that water and flesh and blood react differently. But that is all I had. The local DNR takes a dim view on shooting deer as test subjects.
      At 50 yards my bullets were giving me a beautifully mushroomed bullet with little weight loss.
      I found out too late that my alloy wasn’t strong enough and blew apart on entry of a deer. I only take front shoulder shots. So this year is not different from prior years.
      The 1 animal I did find had the normal entry wound through the front shoulder. But holes I found in the top of the heart and lungs were the size of a bullet. The only 2 pieces of bullets I found, 1 was the GC and the bottom driving band just under the off side with another much smaller piece of lead (half the size of a pea) close by. The body cavity was filled with blood but nothing leaked out
      Only 1 animal had any blood that dropped as a trail. And that was about 5 drops about 120 yards from the shot.
      I have now learned that my alloy has to be tougher and my velocities have to be higher

Larry Gibson
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 507
      • Overall: 562
      • Gold

What alloy was that?

Larry Gibson

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

AC 50%coww/50% soww 1% sn (pewter with cu)

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I have never used anything but air cooled COWW to kill all the deer I have shot with cast bullets.
      I have never lost any deer, but have also never recovered any of the bullets.

Most deer ran less than 100 yds with a good blood trail.

I have used round nose bullets as well as semiwadcutters.

Nothing fancy, just good shot placement.

Mostly I used it because it was the alloy I had. Perhaps it worked well in spite of not being the best thing possible.
      That was back in the 80’s and early 90’s

I hunt very little now.
      I go to see the different animals and get outside in the Fall.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

If you like the load, it might be simpler to just change where you aim. A fragmenting bullet delivered just behind the shoulders is devastating.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Malablity is the key .
      i use a 50/50 WW/1-20 which results in about the same alloy you have for pistols and PCC , what is the likelihood of breaking up a 45 at even 2000 fps .

For rifle I step it up to a 75/25 WW/1-20 and water dropped and GC . So far I haven’t had an explosive failure . As a qualifier a 60# pig was shot to far back but had holes in and out that were round and larger going out , and the 2nd would have been down most likely all by itself had I not been so worried about the rookie shooters shot . That was a high shoulder exit . I don’t know what the expansion does in critter but if it doesn’t hit a rock in the course sand/fine gravel berm they stay in 1 piece over 2100 fps muzzle and 1900 @100. On crs 1/4″ steel under 2000 fps they splatter but above 2100 muzzle they punch holes +1-2 cal even from a lowly 6.8 Rem .

The 1-20 I have sourced at this time is from tamper seals circa 1970-10. I believe it carries copper from the original alloy and/or pick up from the clean up removing the copper wire and pouring ingots .

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve killed deer with 50/50 air cooled several times. Every deer hit the dirt like Zeus himself threw lightning from yonder cloud. Always a full pass through, and about a 3″ exit wound.
      The deer I’ve killed lately have been hit with House alloy which is COWW + 2.5% tin. With the exception of one that I made a bad shot on, they all kissed the dirt like they found true love. One exit hole about 1″ in diameter surrounded by about another inch of bloodshot meat.

I suspect, you might have had something in your alloy infused with the pewter that caused these brittle bullets you describe. Try making a new alloy out of hand sorted COWW with a specific amount of tin added. I doubt you’ll have any issues.

Unknown in = unknown out.

Milkman
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 24
      • Overall: 28

I tend to agree with Tim on this one. I once cast some 45 round balls out of what I thought was pure lead, which would blow up on contact with deer skin. The first blew a 4″ piece of rib bone out the entry side and had a small piece of bullet or rib penetrate the lungs. The second deer was a bad shot right behind the ribs, which blew up on skin only. I tracked that deer for hours and if a fragment hadn’t penetrated the liver he would have rotted in the woods. I never did discover what was wrong with them, but after the second deer I just threw them away and started over.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.