Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 134

A friend wants me to look into building his son an AK. It’ll probably be based on a 80% receiver. I was wondering if anyone had a good source for parts or parts kits.

Kevin S
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 58
      • Overall: 72

I have built 2 AR’s. Both were completed lowers. For 40$ I couldn’t see making my own. Besides I don’t have the experience to finish a lower. Daytona has a lot of 80% lowers.

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks Kevin, I’ve completed 5 AR builds using 80% receivers there really isn’t much to it.
      This time the build in question is an AK 47, don’t know why but that’s what his boy wants. I’m just trying to find a source for good kits, so far it seems like AK Builders, and Childers are going to be my best bet. I just don’t like basing a build off of used parts.

JPHolla
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 121

The AK market has gone to crap.

Harter
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 807
      • Overall: 883

Might try these guys.
      I’ve been told they can be hit and miss on AR parts but the kits I have are acceptable as GI spec rifles pieces .
      I haven’t really looked at the AK stuff as its not really of much interest.
      http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

VANN
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Harter;n5457 wrote: Might try these guys.
      I’ve been told they can be hit and miss on AR parts but the kits I have are acceptable as GI spec rifles pieces .
      I haven’t really looked at the AK stuff as its not really of much interest.
      http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8

That’s the way I fell about it, looks like with a AK you spend 400-600 on a bunch of used parts.. I can put a pretty decent AR together for that not to mention it can use any sighting system and swap caliber at will. AK’S just don’t grab my attention. There’s just something about stamped steel and cheap lacquered wood that makes me dislike them.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.