This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  LenH 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
     LenH 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 32
    • Overall: 36

I copied this from another forum but I did it on the cheap. The air cylinder itself was about $21 shipped I got it from here (https://www.zoro.com/parker-round-air-cylin-1-116inbore-6instroke-106dsr0600/i/G6128281/) The air regulator was another $20 but I probably could just use the one on the compressor but it is there and I’ll keep it. All of the fittings and the air line fittings are about another $12 to $15. So all in all I have about $55 tied up in this beast.

The aluminum plunger was free. A fellow employee had some 1″ø round stock and gave me a piece. one of the guys in our shop cut a piece and drilled a hole through center or close enough for government work. I had an email to Tim worrying about the thing and he stated I was prolly over thinking it. So I took the piece and clamped it with a pair of channel locks and sanded the high side down with an angle grinder and a sanding disk. It looks like I made it but it works. The threaded end of the cylinder is 5/16-24 thread, the bolt for the hycar washer off the Star plunger is 5/16-18. The thread for the base of the cylinder is the same thread as the cap for the sizer cap.

It was a fun project to complete and about half price as compared to the one Magma sells. My grandson is always trying to help.

Air Cylinder

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 679
    • Overall: 831

That’s a neater looking rig than what I have. Mine has a hose from the air reservoir to the regulator, which is attached to the lube reservoir. You have twice the capacity for lube as I do with the original reservoir.

Goodsteel 
    Keymaster
    • Gold
    • ★★★
    • Comments: 2452
    • Overall: 2660

Interesting, and inventive, but you realize you’re using a piston to drive a piston?

All I did on mine was make a cap for the reservoir that would house a regulator (it just puts air in the star) then a hose clamp and a strip of rubber to cover the hole on the reservoir, then a plug of aluminum with three o rings to act as a pusher.

So I pour the lube in the press, press in the aluminum pusher, then screw the cover on the reservoir and put the air to it.

Basically, I turn the lube reservoir into an air cylinder itself.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★

That’s exactly how my setup is. Bought it off someone on the other site who was selling them as a kit.

Rattlesnake Charlie 
    Participant
    • Gold
    • ★★★

Using the air setup instead of the screw and spring I get much more consistent lubricant applied. I do use a heater unless it is the dead of summer. You can really size and lube this setup. I used an air bomb from Harbor Freight, and filled it at the gas station. That tank dropped maybe 10 pounds in a year.

LenH 
    Participant
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 32
    • Overall: 36

I have seen it done several different ways, one was to use the spring plunger with a fitting in the cap and the old cover the vent hole and an o-ring under the cap. And I saw the kits on the other website but evidently that guy isn’t around selling them anymore so that is what I came up with and I’ll get a fitting for the lower port to return the piston to the upward position.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.