Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

I’m looking to buy something like the Caldwell Lead Sled. I need to be able to see what my rifles can do while eliminating the human error I add using just bags. What do you all recommend?

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

The lead sled DFT is a good choice Charlie.
      But I kinda lean towards the Rock that is produced by Caldwell as well or at least that style. A bit more portable, weighs in at 10 pounds and is about 100.00 less.
      The lead sled does have a few more advantages as well as disadvantages, the same can be said for all the rest that are offered.
      Of course then again I really like just plain old sand bags.

here is a somebody picks that might help to point out some factors to look at :
      https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-shooting-rests?id=adw&gclid=CLyM4LLB59ECFQW1wAodQuAB9Q

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

Charlie, I have the Caldwell DFT and it’s a mighty fine piece of equipment. It does exactly what you are seeking a rest for. Just don’t shoot extra heavy loads with it if you weight it down heavily because it’s hard on the buttstock. I put 20# on mine and it still moves backwards, so I don’t think I’m overstressing my stock……….but then my loads aren’t extra heavy either.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Thanks Chris. It ought to work for my current 5.56/.223 project. I’ll see what happens when it comes to .45-70.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I don’t have a good opinion of the lead sled. If you have absolutely zero shooting prowess, it will usually give you a level of precision that you would not normally be able to achieve. However, if you’re shooting a rifle that is truly precise, and you know very well how to shoot and what it will do, often you will get worse groups with the lead sled.
      My opinion is sand bags coupled with proper bench technique (which includes a level, rock solid surface and a good chair) is pretty much the cure all pill.
      If you want to remove all human error from a rifle, leave it in the safe and drink beer instead. Zero human error.
      But if you want to see what it will do, you realize that YOU are part of the equation. What shoots well(ish) in a rifle strapped to a lead sled, may not shoot for beans if you remove the rifle from the sled. That sled changes the harmonics of the rifle and it WILL SHOOT DIFFERENT unless you’re looking for 1.5″ 5 shot groups at 100 yards.
      I went through several of these things over the past few years testing them side by side. A rifle does not leave my shop till it demonstrates a level of precision that I consider acceptable, and the sled was NOT the way I ended up shooting the good groups across the board.
      That said, there were several rifles that fit the sled very well, and those rifles shot as well in the sled as they did on the bags. That was not the norm though.

One thing I do use the lead sled for very effectively is bore sighting and setting scopes in place.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

My L.S. for the AR/Levergun now rests in the SIL’s garage. Totally wrong mechanics. I have seen some get decent results with the (old) 2 strut model. I use their Rock front stand with 2 5# weights on the front as the bench is carpet covered wood. Did have a problem with vert adj inset getting ‘stuck’ if you crank down too hard on the lock lever.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.