Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 110
      • Overall: 114

These are both what I would call XCB spin offs. The first one, the 31-180Q, is one that I put together. By that I mean that I matched up a nose with a base and had Accurate make a mold for me. The second, the 31-180V, appears to be similar but I don’t know any more than that. They both have XCB lube grooves.

At the outset I will state that I am not after anything more than medium velocity. These are cast from hardball and I’m using 2700+ lube. More to follow.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Please explain what constitutes “XCB lube grooves

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

These lube grooves come directly from the XCB design with no changes, i.e. what you see in the picture. Part of the concept of the XCB design, as I understand it, is that the groove design has a large bearing on the ability to get to high velocity. Also, the nose design was made to fit the throat of the chamber. In addition, in order to achieve high velocity, there is a limit on length/weight so any changes to the nose, which both of these display, would be detrimental to achieving high velocity. Hence my statement that I am expecting no more than medium velocity with accuracy. If I get to 2300 +/- 50 fps I will be happy.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 103
      • Overall: 111

The 31-180V is a concoction of my younger brother and yes it is Heavily influenced by the XCB boolit. The main changes are the wider meplat and the angle of the nose is shallower to fit his particular rifle throat as well as the heavier weight. The loob grooves are the same as the XCB. I do not recall the angle but it is published on the Accurate website. He intends to hollow point his mold eventually for hunting. Right now we are in the load development stage. Accuracy has been decent with solid, repeatable groups (10 shot) in the 1.375″ range. He has set a goal of 1″ or less for himself and I personally think he will achieve it. He is a meticulous sort and he won’t quit until he gets it. I don’t know if he is a member of this forum or not but I do know he reads (lurks) here. Goodsteel, Larry Gibson, Bjornb, Doc Highwall are some of the names that when they post we both make sure to read them. Much has been learned by reading their posts and I would like to give a shout out to all of them.:D
      I should add that our rifles are sporter/hunting rifles and not geared to target shooting at all. If something will not work in the field it will not be incorporated in our rifles. They must be light, fast handling, repeaters and they are used mainly for coyotes and deer.
      His cartridge is a shortened 308 with a looong neck of his own design. Mine is the 30 x 57 (XCB?)
      I recently purchased a 300BLK and was considering trying this boolit in it. What think you fellas?

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Glad to hear from you! Great to know how your mold came about. Feel free to post your/his results here. I am on the road again and probably won’t get any loading done until next week. I did get some of both bullet cast for the initial tests. I’m shooting them in a Rem 700 in .308 with 1-10 twist 20″ barrel. I have several powders in mind but plan to start with H414. What are you guys using?

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

He has been using Unique and keeping velocities down trying for accuracy. I have been playing with H335. Neither of us are trying for real high velocity. I have not gotten the results yet that he has achieved but I work on the road (literally and figuratively) and do not get near as much loading/trigger time. Also, I am using the standard NOE XCB boolit.
      We are currently in the process of trying to figure out how to properly reform brass cases. We discovered some funky things going on with our cases due to our process. Recently purchased a neck turning lathe from 21st Century Shooting and I think it’s going to help make a difference in the quality of the brass, case necks in particular.
      If I may, I’d like to comment on this little tool and the fellow that sells it. They are both TOP notch performers. There are some big claims made on the accuracy and repeatability of the tool and so far I have found them to be true. Kinda pricey but I think it’s worth every penny. John is also great guy to deal with. Short on words and long on service. Had a few small problems out of the gate with the tool and gave John a call explaining them. He had fixes in the mail pronto. I offered payment because the problems were not really his fault. He would take no payment.
      That boolit should be a shoe in for the 308! H414 should give some pretty high velocities too. He started off using H414 trying for high velocity. If I remember correctly he was getting upwards of 2700 FPS but the groups were in the 2.5″ range. Not good enough for him!
      I would definitely be interested in seeing your results as well. Please keep us posted as you can!

Doc Highwall
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 123
      • Overall: 131

You are going to love the 21st Century Shooting neck turning tool, I have one and sold my others.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Bravo! Well done start to finish!

Don’t sweat that first flier. I’m still trying to figure a way around that.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

I recently purchased a 300BLK and was considering trying this boolit in it It might work in a bolt gun, meplat of the Q version is too large for AR – 165RD nose won’t feed well. I use 165C for 308, haven’t tried it in BO yet – it feeds & fits OK just haven’t shot any yet. It has pretty much same profile as your V. I changed to R1 vs R0.7 for the ogive, it feeds better in AR – BO. I’m looking to go to a R1.2 ogive, more of a bore rider and longer nose to pick weight up.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Bodean98 go on up to 10 gr Unique and see what y’all get with that. You might find it starting to settle down into a great load. That is one that I intend to try as well along with 25 gr Varget. I’ve had great luck with those loads and a 311041 in the .308.

Bodean98
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

oldblinddog,
      Nice!
      Try fiddling with the seating depth some more. These shot best for my brother by just touching the rifling. They shot well jammed into the rifling too, but the bullets would pull upon extraction. Not a good thing when hunting! When seated only a little too short his groups would do the same as yours. It’s a pretty fine line between too short and too long.
      It definitely looks like there is something to work with there.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

You are certainly correct. I played with it some before going to the range. In my rifle there isn’t much leeway, only a few thousandths. They are still engraving at the area just before the case mouth but they are extractable.

I’m going to try the Varget load on the 31-180Q. I believe that will give better results.

oldblinddog
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Is that the Accurate 31-168C? That one is the 31-184C minus the gas check shank, making a sort of a boat tail. I’ve been looking at the 184, not sure why since I can’t get time to cast with the ones I have now. But, I’d like to add it to the collection.

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

172C, same as 184C minus the shank. Makes a really good sharp base, seats like a BB but without a sharp ridge. Been using that design in BO & 30/30 for some time now. You could use the grooves for lube but they are there to collect all the alloy from the rifling and sizing – else you get really long ‘tails’ on the base. Also no crimp groove so I can seat it anywhere. Just started testing in the 336 and loaded some for the BO. as my normal boolit is 145gr @ 2100 fps. Normally PC these but trying with BLL too. Going to try a 223 case trimmed to length for a ram stop with the washer.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.