Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

On occasion when I can I like to try out a new powder that I see listed in my cast bullet manual that will supposedly work in all of my rifles I shoot cast loads in like my 30-30,300 Sav. 7.62 x 39 & 54r. I like having multiple loads worked up with different powder combinations as backups as in this day and age you can not always count on your preferred powder or powders always being on the shelf.

I see AA 5744 is mentioned quiet often in some cast bullet threads and it’s available locally but I’ve never used it myself. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with this powder and what your general thoughts are about using it for cast bullet loads.

Thanks
      Ron

Butch Wax
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 158
      • Overall: 180

I use it in both my 45-70 & 30’06 with cast loads and absolutely love it! Not bad in 44Mag either.

Some folks have complained that it costs more. Big deal. It’s performance that I seek and 5744 pays off in groups leaving no doubt as to how well it works. Easily ignited by even mild primers and consistent velocities. Get ready to be impressed if you buy some.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

I have used it for many years – in 375 big bore , 45-70 Gov’t, 44 Mag can give excellent groups.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I’ve used it once in a side by side test with three other powders in 45/70.
      The goal was to find an accurate load on the 1400-1500fps range.
      in that specific context, it sucked rocks.
      I suppose it just wasn’t in its ideal pressure range for a good burn which is important for any powder.
      Many other people have reported excellent results with it.
      The main reason I don’t use it is that I’ve never really seen it in abundant quantities for sale. If, in the past 20 years, I ever had, I probably would have gotten better acquainted with it.

chutesnreloads
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 161
      • Overall: 165

I’ve had good results with it in 45-70 also…..it worked much better without a filler

Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

Having burned up an 8 pound jug over the years (early production) I’ve never found it to live up to its hyperbole in the shooting press. In virtually all rifles that I’ve tried it in, it comes in a poor second or third to traditional stick powders like SR4759 when used for cast bullets or reduced loads. I understand that the original lots had issues, so perhaps that answers my issue with the powder.

I also note that it heats a barrel up most ricky tick and hot barrels are not conducive to long bore life. I think that’s because the powder is double base and not single base like the powders I prefer.

I’ll add that in my 1898 Krag infantry rifle, it is absolutely the best powder for a 200 to 210 grain cast bullet. Nothing else comes close; but the barrel heats up faster than when using full powder jacketed loads.

reloader762
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 80
      • Overall: 95

Checked the LGS today they had the powder but it was $35 per lb. He said it was one of the most expensive powders AA had in the line. For an extra $5 to $10 I can get two lbs. of something I already know works good for me,an being on a limited budget I have to get the best bang for the buck. I appreciate all the replies.

ubetcha
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 3
      • Overall: 5

I have used 5744 in my 10″ T/C 44 mag and 14″ 30-30 both with cast bullets. Left alot of unburned powder. Could be due to a reduced load that didn’t complete the burn ,but have not experimented further to see if it improved with more powder charge, because at that time I found SR4759. Too bad That powder is gone now

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

ubetcha;n8490 wrote: ……. because at that time I found SR4759. Too bad That powder is gone now

That’s a big, fat, hairy, 10-4

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.