Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Its so small I can’t measure it. Certainly less than .050.
      This was shot off hand by me. I’m not certain how far away it was, nor was I counting the bullets, but the results speak for themselves (honestly, I was too focused on my form to pay attention to minutia).
      Heres the impressive group, and it truly rocks. I wish I wish could do this every time.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Now, you want the rest of the story? That minutia I mentioned I didn’t have time for?
      This is one hole made by my 22 at a range of about 10 inches from the muzzle.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I post this as a joke, but also as a toungue in cheek plea to the membership to hold a higher standard when we post groups here.
      The standard is ten shots bare minimum, because more shots don’t make the group look worse near as fast as less shots make it look better.
      The gun rags and other forums have a really bad habit of making crummy rifles look like rock stars by shooting three shots, or five five shot groups, or single five shot groups from each ammunition.
      Actually this would be acceptable if people were honest, but they aren’t. Hell I have to try very hard to call the average rather than the best (what’s the rifle do 90% of the time with me behind it) when I shoot my groups, but if I don’t, that’s going to bite me hard when I actually use the rifle for the intended purpose.
      You have to be real about what the rifle is doing.
      Tonys recent thread has reignigted my commitment to this point of view. His humble use of his rifle coupled with his honest admission that the rifle did not perform at its best reminds me of the spirit these higher standards are held in.
      No one is impressed by my group in this thread, because it was not enough shots, nor was it far enough away to mean anything. It’s worthless propaganda as is any group fired with sub standard sample of shots with unstated distance.

Now i wish everybody had a 100 yard range, but that is not the reality. Let us at least agree to shoot a decent number of shots. Even if I had shot 12 shots through that same hole it would mean SOMETHING, do we all agree?
      Afterall, HM Pope would shoot his target barrels across his shop and keep lapping them until he could push a bullet into the hole with no wiggle in it, and his record groups at longer range remained unchallenged for the better half of the last century.

We are shooters and we are honest. That’s what we are here for and why GSF was started in the first place. Almost anywhere else on the internet you will be praised for 3 shots that landed close together, but that was propagated by the gun industry so they could charge the same price for a sub standard product, and it worked for years.
      However people are falling back in love with true precision, and the gun industry is responding to it!
      We represent a very small part of the shooting community, but that doesn’t mean we have no impact. On the contrary, people who hold these standards and surround themselves by people who do the same have more voice than the average.

So lets be better and aim higher.
      Thank you.

Chris C
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 157
      • Overall: 169

Ahhhh, ever the Task Master. 😉 I’m joshin’ ya, Tim, but I completely agree. Only I didn’t know until I joined this site that a 5 shot group was no real representation that all of the variables in this endeavor had all come together. So your “nudging” is helping……….helping me, for sure, but I’m assuming many others.

Artful
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 428
      • Overall: 615

Now I’m going to do a spoiler
      – my groups are usually whatever the rifle holds
      – 5 round magazine you get 5 shot groups
      – but I have been known to do the multiple target
      – what’s that you ask.

Well you put up 3 targets on top of each other (all nicely centered if you please)
      – shoot one five shot group and replace the top target with a fresh one
      then shoot another 5 shot group
      – go down replace the top two targets
      – one will be another 5 shot group but the other
      underneath will be a 10 shot group.

Repeat the process and you will get two more 5 shot groups
      and another 10 shot group target
      and the bottom target which was never replaced will be a 20 shot group.

Works best if your shooting by yourself
      or with an understanding friend in the woods, desert or alone at the range.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Wow. That’s a lot of work. Usually I just……..reload the magazine.
      Good thing nobody shoots AR-15s here.
      Otherwise there would be nothing to do but pop 10 rounds into the berm then the remaining ten in a group. 
      Some of those guys probably read the rinse-lather-repeat on the shampoo and didn’t get out of the shower for three days…………
      HAAAAARRRR!!!!!

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

My mags are 10 rounders minimum. But I have been known to single load. Now if I can get 10 to join the family?

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Generally I will use a 5 shot group to tell me if a 10 shot group is worth pursuing, but I will use 5 shot groups at 200 yrds sometimes.
      most of the time I shoot single shot so however many rounds I have loaded could be the size of the group.
      Tony

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Menner;n11771 wrote: Generally I will use a 5 shot group to tell me if a 10 shot group is worth pursuing, but I will use 5 shot groups at 200 yrds sometimes.
      most of the time I shoot single shot so however many rounds I have loaded could be the size of the group.
      Tony

Agreed. I do too.
      There’s two reasons for actually posting groups:
      1. You’re trying to say something or demonstrate it.
      2. you’re asking for advice.
      3. You’re trying to burn the bandwidth.

Of its either of the first two, it’s worth making sure what you are saying or asking is coherent.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

I was wondering about those powder burns on the target..

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

WCM;n11797 wrote: I was wondering about those powder burns on the target..

Oh believe me I’ve seen worse.
      A target that was supposed to be shot at long range with lube splatter on the target? Riiiiiiiggggghhhhhht.
      Very impressive and lots of slaps on the back.

Seen a target posted by Starmetal that was supposed to be HV at 300+ yards. Very impressive cluster.
      Sarge opened his public photobucket account and found a picture of the WHOLE TARGET before he cropped it, and it looked like he hit it with buckshot.
      Of course then Sarge posted it in open forum and Starmetal’s buddies all said it looked like total crap. Boy I’ll never forget that one!!!!

Seen targets that looked like buckshot where the poster strategically placed information bubbles over the holes he didn’t want anyone to see so the “cluster” would look more impressive.
      Very impressive indeed.

WCM
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 368
      • Overall: 398

Goodsteel;n11800 wrote:

Oh believe me I’ve seen worse.
      A target that was supposed to be shot at long range with lube splatter on the target? Riiiiiiiggggghhhhhht.
      Very impressive and lots of slaps on the back.

Sound like something from the CBF..:)

No…I forgot they test at 50 yds.:rolleyes:

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.