This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Butch Wax 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 158
    • Overall: 180

I mainly use an old Lyman Spar-T turret press for decapping and sizing pistol cases. The rest I often finish with my 310 tools. Keeps the arthritis away. 😉  But I had no primer catching tray and they naturally go shooting off everywhere. I found this device on eBay and figured why not?

Made on a 3-D printer and fits into the priming arm slot and held with the existing pin. When the ram is at top, and the primer is removed, it falls into the box and then down through a 1/2″ vinyl tube into a container of your choice.

It takes a while to get used to it, and is a little confining with big cases, but I don’t have spent primers everywhere anymore either. $14 delivered and you buy the tube elsewhere (Ace hardware).  A clever device, and made for all sorts of presses.

Primer catcher

uber7mm 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★
    • Comments: 288
    • Overall: 305

Yes!  Very cool.

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

I know it looks funny, but it sure beats primers shooting out all over the place!;-)

Anonymous
    • Bronze
    • Comments: 7
    • Overall: 8

Yes. There is someone On Ebay Making These. I have Purchased 2 types. 2 for my Lyman AA turrets and 1 For My CH magnum H – Press.  In both cases they work Great.  The spent Primer Compartment will Hold about 200 primers in The Lyman and appox a little less in the CH.

In both cases you must remove the  Primer seaters Not to Crack it.  If you prime on a separate Pass It’s Great .   If you size and Prime together  It will not work for you

French Claude

Butch Wax 
    Participant
    • Silver
    • ★★

Haven’t seen a self-contained type as you described. The model I have uses a 1/2″ I.D. vinyl tube, and the spent primers all drop into the tube and fall into whatever you choose to contain them. But it doesn’t require it to be removed from the press. Yours sounds like a different design.

Again, the design of this device is quite clever. Aside from getting used to it being right in front of the press making it a little awkward, working with anything larger than .44mag or .45Colt is nearly impossible unless the shellholder is 90° out. But then the box is in front and cases must be manipulated behind it. Rams with the primer slot cut in the back (RCBS) where the box is mounted behind sounds reasonable to assume that there would be full access.

Despite this inconvenience, for my needs it has proven beneficial if for anything else, the disposal of the spent primers into a plastic bag rather than all over the floor. So I’ll use it to keep them from shooting out all over everywhere creating a real pain in the rump. 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.