Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I make the Accurate Molds 46-355RG bullets powder coated, and they seem to be very suitable across the board in several different rifles and I thought you might enjoy knowing the load.

The alloy is 95/2.5/2.5 water dropped slightly frosty.

The GCs are snapped on the bases and seated with the Lyman 4500, but seated ONLY.

The bullets are lubed in a tub my greasing my hands with Imperial sizing wax, and kneeding the bullets to get them all lubed, then they are pushed through a .460 sizing die.

The bullets are washed in alcohol to remove the sizing wax completely.

They are tumbled in black airsoft BBS charged with Powder By the Pound Kawasaki Green, grasped with forceps by the driving bands, turned right side up, tapped on the edge of the jar twice, then set on non stick foil wrapped oven tray.

They are cooked for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.

They are dumped straight into cold water from the tray, dryed, lubed again, then sized again.

They are rubbed on paper towels to reduce the sizing wax to a very light film, and now they are ready to load.

The brass is deprimed, and wet SS pin tumbled for three hours and dryed in a dehydrator for 20 minutes.

Then it’s neck sized and flared.

It get’s washed again (without the pins and for only 30 minutes), just to make sure it’s lube free and clean.

The brass is primed.

The load is 54 grains of IMR 4895.

The bullets are seated and crimped in the same setup (my dies do very well with this, but yours may not. If I see the bullets getting damaged by this, I crimp separately, but this particular die set works very well doing both at once.) The bullets are seated so the Starline brass crimps just halfway in the crimp groove, and this is typically where a Marlin needs it as the crimp groove on this bullet is about .015 too close to the tip of the bullet for the ogive to contact the lands when seated. Your mileage may vary, but this is typically what I expect to see.

This load drops ten shots into 3 inches at 100 yards with remarkable regularity between rifles.

Enjoy.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

What is a 36-355 mold and a .460 sizer?

I dont get it???

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

If you go http://www.accurate molds.com and look up the 46-355RG in the catalog, you’ll see the exact bullet I’m talking about.

Sizeing dies are used to size cast bullets to a specific diameter. .460 is pretty standard for this caliber.

kens
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 531
      • Overall: 587

Oh, I see, its a typo…..

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

OK, I got it. I’ve got a few dyslexic tendencies you’ll have to forgive me for from time to time.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.