Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Bought an almost new in box Lyman DPS III. I have not had any experience with these “automatic” powder dispensers so I am looking for some input from others that have. Every piece of equipment has quirks that one does not find in the manuals. The benefit of others experience will be greatly appreciated.

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

I don’t have the DPS, but I use a Chargmaster pretty frequently. One of the things with the Chargmaster was that it had trouble running out precise charges of heavy stick powder. I drinking straw inserted through the stem fixed that. Then there was the anoying beeping all the darn time. Figured out how to put a sock in it. Then there was the sssssslooowww dispense time. Found a youtube video that taught me how to reprogram it for a faster cycle time.

Even so, it’s slow going, and I don’t use it unless I need that uber precise accuracy (which I do quite often).
      Beats the heck out of trickling by hand!

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Thanks for the response Tim. With handgun fun a powder measure is fine for me, but when I load rifle I am in the habit of trying to load as precisely as I can. The exception to that would be my 223 Rem which I load with a very fine flake. Most of my other rifle loads are with tubular powders and yes the hand trickling is a real pain. That is the real reason I went looking for one of these.
      I was hoping it would show up today but no luck. I will be surprised if it does not show up Monday. I did look at some youtube videos and they were a help. One mentioned that the beep volume was variable. I hope variable means down to off!

I presume the straw was inserted up the “trickler” tube? How far?

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

It didn’t really matter how far. The problem was that the tube was “threaded” to help guide the powder out, but certain powers would come out in clumps and it would miss the measurement. The drinking straw just made it so it slowed down and doesn’t dispense as much with each twitch.
      So the upshot of all the reprogramming was to make it dump powder real fast till it got almost to the charge, then craaaaaawwwwwl over that last grain. Works pretty well too.
      If yours has a smooth tube, you can just “dispense” with the plastic straw. LOL!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

AHHH those things are no good send to me for proper disposal …..LMAO
      Once you get it figured out Retread I suspect you will like it from what I have observed from others. I don’t own one I still throw short from the powder measure then trickle that last grain or so.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Sgt. Mike;n10311 wrote: AHHH those things are no good send to me for proper disposal …..LMAO
      Once you get it figured out Retread I suspect you will like it from what I have observed from others. I don’t own one I still throw short from the powder measure then trickle that last grain or so.

It’s in the mail Sarge!! LOL I too have been dumping and trickling since 1960. If you would have said I would have something that would do it automatically back then, they would have laughed and said you had been watching too many science fiction movies. Got it yesterday and have been reading the manual over several times before jumping in. Wife says I never read the instructions or ask for directions! She is partly right! But when it comes to my reloading, I read everything multiple times. No room for guessing there. Hope it is as good as everyone claims it is. I am sure I will be checking it with my balance scale fairly often to make sure it isn’t lying to me. 😀

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

Wow! I did a test run this afternoon and was really impressed with the results. First I calibrated as instructed. Selected auto mode and entered 47 grain powder weight. Ran a run of twenty back to back verifying each drop with my balance beam. Every drop was exactly 47 grains, verified by the balance beam. I could not believe the accuracy, not even a tenth off in 20 drops. The powder was IMR 4831, so it was what I would call a real test.

Tim, it comes with a screw in flow restrictor that acts like your straw. I am really pleased. It came in the original packaging, the little bags holding the accessory parts had not be opened. It was indeed never used beyond a test as stated by the seller.

It does have an option for speeding this up, you can dump an underweight charge from you standard powder measure in the pan, then place it on the load cell and it will quickly top it off to the correct weight. Slick!

Sgt. Mike
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 789
      • Overall: 873

When I watched Tim’s charge master it would let you know exactly when it had a slight error it was a nest system.
      I would prefer if it was totally portable like travel to the range with me LOL

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★

This one is very portable. If you are lacking 115 v. power source, all you need is a battery pack developing 15vdc which is easily done. It is self contained and incredibly light.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.