Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 2452
      • Overall: 2660

Recording your load data and workup loads is an absolute requirement for reloading. In fact, one could even say the paperwork is more important than the loads themselves.
      When I load, I measure the rifle I am loading for to determine COAL.
      I research what I intend to do in several reloading references and choose a bullet, powder charge, and primer.
      Before I even pop the bag of brass open, I WRITE IT DOWN. Then I simply do exactly what was written.

I’ve been loading now for about 20 years. I remember my fathers words: Tim, write down what you are about to do every time. That way, when you blow yourself up I can read your book and tell your brother not to use that load. (Dad sure had a way of making a 15 year old pay the hell attention.)
      So there you go. It’s always been my habit to write first, then load later. Of course, I’m still trying to get in the habbit of writing it in the same place every time.
      To that end, I have chosen two nicely bound notebooks to write all my loads in. The original idea was to put cast bullet loads in one and all my shotgun/jacketed in the other, but that was too much to keep up with, so I’m content that at least it’s all in these two books.

However, my hand writing is atrocious, and I really wanted to have nicely written lines where I can fill in the information that I ALWAYS write down, regardless of the load or style of shooting it was built for.

My original idea was to get a bunch of notebooks printed that would have all the stuff to fill out layed out nicely on each page. Unfortunately, it was cost prohibitive. Maybe I just wasn’t looking at the right places, but I couldn’t find a book binding company that would make small quantities of these for me for $10 each or so. Consequently, that idea was a bust.
      However, I was thinking about Larry Gibson’s targets and how he uses a simple rubber stamp to mark a triangle to shoot at, and there was the lightbulb moment. I thought, if I can’t get custom books printed, maybe I can get a custom rubber stamp made?
      Turns out I was right. With the advancements in CNC technology, custom rubber stamps are now very cost effective. I found a sight where you just pick a font, and type out what you want in each line, and they will show you what it will look like, and make you exactly what you see.
      I put a stamp together and payed about $30.
      It just arrived in the mail, and I really like it. I need to get a stamp pad big enough for it, but it’s going to work great.

Rattlesnake Charlie
      Participant
      • Gold
      • ★★★
      • Comments: 679
      • Overall: 831

Goodsteel

Are you opposed to your load data “labels” being offered in a pdf format so others could easily print and use them?

Rattlesnake Charlie

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Doc Highwall posted an absolutely superb example of that earlier. The only reason I did this is because I didn’t want to start recording my load data in a different place.

If you’re wanting to do the same, I could post up a link to the place I got this made and you could add whatever you wanted to in the stamp. I just figured it was worth trying.

Screwbolts
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 97
      • Overall: 101

Tim, I would like to have the link to the site that made your stamp,

Ken

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Here it is. I have to say, the possibilities are endless:

http://www.rubberstamps.com/

doc1876
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 51
      • Overall: 61

I have been using an Excell spread sheet for all of my reloading recording data. this is one of the ones I put on my boxes after loading…….well, I tried to load it here, and it would not go. oh well.
      the top box has Load P3 in it. that is then transferred to another excell that has all loads registered by load number R for rifle, P for pistol. Now if I am questioned about the load, I have a backup of that load, or someone says “Hey, I really liked that P2 load you did for me” I can duplicate it. After printing, I also print on the back side what it is such as 45 Long. that way it shows through the box, and I can just pick through them until I find the .45, or the .44-40, etc.
      Another BIG plus to this is I don’t have to read my own writing.

Load P3.45 LONG COLT
      TARGET LOADWTLoading of case1
      BULLET SWC.255gBULLET DIA.0.452
      PRIMERcciCASE LENGTH
      POWDERIMR 422713gO.A.LENGTH1.6
      GUN USEDColts
      NOTES:DATE LOADED
      this load shoots accurately, and not hard in the hand
      I am very happy with it.
      Scharfschuetze
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 190
      • Overall: 193

I use the backs of old business cards to record the load’s data after loading and place the card with the ammo. After shooting I can then transfer the performance of the loads and the data to my permanent records.

Next time I order cards, they’ll just have the load’s data lines on them.

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 109
      • Overall: 143

Tim,

Copied your format on Load data. Used excel to print them up plus smaller versions to put with the loaded ammo. Modified it a bit to include bullet lube type(or PC) and bullet size. Like the format, just plain simple. Thanks.

Jay

Anonymous
      Inactive
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 8
      • Overall: 8

I went the tech route and use Precision Load Records from tmtpages.com. Load data and target results in one place. Very happy with the product.

Mike

Just noticed this is my first post here. Been lurking for a while. Hi everyone. 🙂

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

Welcome! Thanks for the tip!

Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze
      • Comments: 12
      • Overall: 13

I am also a big fan of keeping book on my loads. Since I added Savages and Contenders to my repitore I have been buried in info but even before that, I had nearly the present system that I use.

It began with a thick wire wound notebook ……. but it culminated with a whole series of wire wound note books ……… a pile of them ……. I used to use one per cartridge but I now have multiple firearms in the same cartridge in several instances and so I dedicate one notebook per cartridge per firearm.

I get them on sale for pennies on the dollar if you watch for it and I am a wash in them now.

As such when I record my data I keep a record of the hits and the misses as it were ……… the whole work up, the good, bad and ugly goes in and I save ALL of my targets as well.

While a formatted form to record a particular load would also work in my case to go with a box of a particular load, I keep too much info from my load workups to ever get it into such a package.

But I do like that stamp idea …….. it surely would save time for the ammo we take afield, etc.

Three 44s

popper
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 293
      • Overall: 294

Excel for me, different sheet for each gun. Boolit, alloy, size, lube/coating, load, powder, # loaded, results/accuracy. chrony #s, etc. Backup to a thumb drive. Print what i want. I can add links to scanned targets where needed. I use a dummy round to keep seating die reference. Mine are autoloaders so I don’t mess with OAL much. Development loads are on a slip of paper with the loaded ammo, evaluate after shooting and edit Excel, delete what doesn’t work. No handwriting to decipher.

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 120
      • Overall: 124

Alright so this is going to make me sound a lot more organized than I really am.
      Each rifle or handgun gets a Manila folder when I start I paper clip a sheet of paper to the inside of the folder and write down my startup info as it becomes permanent info it gets written on the outside of the folder such as OAL for each type bullet, powder charge for that bullet etc….. I also copy the load data page from the book I am working off of and it goes in the folder and I can place targets in the folder. I try to carry this folder to the range with me and I can make notes on the paper inside while at the range
      “I have great memory unfortunately it is very short” so this helps with my CRS
      Just the way I do it not high speed low drag but it works for me
      Hell at work I still use a hand written schedule book LOL
      Tony

Goodsteel
      Keymaster
      • Gold
      • ★★★

I need to implement this Menner. Pretty schmart if you ask me!

Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze

I sort of started a “Menner” system when I bought a nice plastic file box but I have so many wire wound notebooks started now there is not room for them all.

I write my dope on a scrap of paper with each sample of ammo ……… shoot it …… transfer it to the target and walk it back to my load room (I shoot 150 yards from where I load) and then transfer the shooting results to the wire wound book for that cartridge in coordination with the loading info already previously written down there.

If I manage to just have the load info on the target upon running across that target page, I can catch myself up later if necessary.

Also, I make the targets in Excel in the form of four black squares with white space between them ……. a white cross if you will and it does two things …….. after adjusting the spacings on the computer it gives me an optical bracketing of my cross hairs and a target that can be rotated to four positions …….. thus four targets in one with one central aiming point.

Three 44s

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

I also print my targets with Diamond shapes and grid squares some off Excel. I have gotten to like the Open Office version a little better, touch and feel thing I guess more than anything. Lately I have been printing the CBA scoring target and using it to get my eye use to shooting it.
      I use the manila folders for that reason they store well I don’t keep work up data after I have optimized a load for a particular firearm and the final information is recorded on the outside of the folder and I don’t keep all targets just the final result of the work up and a note to myself on the targets of how many times it was repeated. the paper clipped to the inside of the folder I use for notes and can be added to or discarded as necessary
      My idea was to be able to grab a folder and have a basic history of what I have done with that firearm without having to look through dozens of targets, I do keep targets during work up that are relevant along with the notes on the inside paper.
      I have not been doing this as long as most of you and I don’t have anywhere near as many firearms that I cast/reload for only about 12 most of my firearms are shotguns nature of the beast living were I live so maybe I will need to revamp my system as I collect more projects, who knows
      Tony

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

I hate to write, no I mean I REALLY hate it.

I do write current load on the top of a 100 round box of my latest creation. Brass neh, not so fussy. Bullet, and bullet weight, powder and charge yes.

But all my notes are on my computer. There is a seperate text file for each firearm. Contains load data, results, issues, problems attempted to solve and problems actually solved.
      Back in school I sucked at typing but now it is so much more easy that writing and faster that I keep most of my data this way.

And I am just paranoid enough that I keep this data backed up regularly. It resides on both my big desktop in the basement reloading/casting area. And my little convertable laptop up here in the living room. I back it up to CD once a year. And I have a spare copy on a usb flashdrive.

Hard to copy writing without lots of writing. Easy to copy computer files.

I think this year I will try printing most of the good stuff. I have been building a printed “how to” manual for SHTF.
      Ammo should be a big part of that. Shotgun data is already in there.

Yeah I know I am different. Thats ok, with some different how boring life would be, eh?

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

GhostHawk I am just the other end of that I don’t really like to type or read off a computer screen I would much rather have the text in my hand (you would not believe how long it takes me to type this post)
      I can go out back and shoot no problem, the problem is when I want to stretch it out over 50yrds or so right now until I move to were I want to be, so I have to drag my butt out to the club I belong to just 15 minutes away not a big hassle but still got to load the truck and I could take the laptop with me or use the I Pad the folder goes in my range bag.
      Believe me I am not trying to convert anybody it just works for me that’s why we have blue cars, red cars, pickups, sedans and suv’s I would never tell someone that their way is wrong if it works for them.
      its all about making the best holes possible as close together as possible and having fun while we are at it
      Tony

GhostHawk
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★
      • Comments: 258
      • Overall: 260

Amen brother.

I don’t take the laptop to the range either. That bag is heavy enough without it.

What I do like to do is get whatever I’m working on sighted in. Then run out a clean target.

Notable targets get writen on (normally in boolit lead) As to what the load was, boolit, powder, charge etc.

Good targets get pinned to the wall for a bit for friends to see. Eventually the data gets added where it is needed.

Three44s
      Participant
      • Bronze

Menner,

Well said! I don’t think anyone is trying to change another member’s habits here ……….. just sharing ideas on methods so someone might take away something that enhances their craft.

I kind of like to roll both ways …….. hand written and computer stored.

I have no problem writing out my handloading notes but when I get to the level of writing a letter or commenting on an issue facing my business (farming and ranching) ……… I turn to the computer …….. the word processing power is just too much to ignore. I saw the need to take typewritting in Highschool …….. a full year of it and that was back in the stone age …….. pre-home computers!

But if I am in my easy chair I like a hard copy of my work to digest ……… just looking at a computer screen is not that warm and fuzzy for me.

And as to my handwritten notes ……… I guess I better relive the moment when a particular firearm/load comes to fruition ……… better than on a cold computer screen or a print out.

Three 44s

Menner
      Participant
      • Silver
      • ★★

Yeah here is the funny part
      I own my own business w/ my brother and I am the IT guy take care of all he online info and I don’t really type that slow I just have to go back and proof read a lot because my brain is moving faster that my fingers can keep up and I will find double words and missing words and my mind will insert them for me when I proof read if I don’t slow down and be very deliberate. enough thread drift
      Now back to your regularly scheduled topic
      Tony

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 Goodsteel Forum. Designed by Covalent Designs, LLC.